Re: Fiddlin' Itzak Perlman

  • naugahyderide
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Elliott" <thebighouse@m...>
      wrote:
      > On the same subject... I don't know if this story I heard recently
      > is true, but it's funny either way.
      >
      > Edgar Meyer (great versatile jazz/classical/americana bass player)
      > and Joshua Bell (classical violinist) recently made one of
      > those "crossover" recordings a la Mark O'Conner and Yo Yo Ma.
      > Supposedly they were touring after it was released and one night
      > backstage before the performance Edgar heard Joshua saying into his
      > cell phone something like "yeah, this fiddle stuff is a piece of
      > cake, so easy it's boring..." So when they walked out on stage
      > Joshua looked at his stand and said to Edgar "hey, my music's
      > gone!," to which Edgar replied "yeah, but since it's so easy I
      > figured you could do it just like we do and make it up for yourself
      > tonight...."
      >
      > As I said I don't know if it's true, but it's pretty believeable.
      > Paul

      That's interesting. It reminds me of something my sister related to
      me when her quartet attended the National Quartet convention in
      Washington DC. (She plays Balkan and Greek music well so she's hip to
      other styles of violin playing). Anyway, there were a bunch of
      classical players gathered together when the Turtle Island String
      Quartet, at that time relatively unknown, came onstage. She overheard
      people snickering in a condescending tone, "This will be...amusing."
      They played reading music at the stand, then would dart off the stand
      and improvise, and finally improvised with choreography as well, came
      back and played written music on the stand and by the time they were
      finished, blew everyone away. She said people were utterly astounded
      and were scrambling up to them afterwards asking "Uh, could you show
      me how you did this? And this?" (Trying to describe some of
      tmaneuvers witnessed as if it could be explained in a nutshell.) At
      least they became interested.

      Barb Collins
    • The Martins
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
        From: "naugahyderide" <palapala@...>

        > Now the American String Teachers Assn. actually
        > has a category for alternative violin styles in their
        > national competition

        "I'd like to see the judges for THAT!," the troll was heard to
        snigger. "Are they fiddlers? And isn't the real alternative style the
        formal "classical" one?"

        Now don't kill the messenger. I'm just repeating what that nasty old
        troll was muttering, down there under the bridge.

        Bill Martin
      • Dave Campbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
          Now Bill, you haven't been feedin' that nasty old troll have ya?

          -Dave
          (Woodinville, WA)

          > Now don't kill the messenger. I'm just repeating what that nasty old
          > troll was muttering, down there under the bridge.
          >
          > Bill Martin

        • naugahyderide
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "The Martins" <nkm@b...> wrote:
> [...]

            "Touche," the wee little goat replied. "I don't know who the judges
            are, but perhaps it's at least a start to represent such a category
            in such an organization at long last? It used to be rather one
            dimensional. Now they're clamouring to learn the stuff. There's a
            much bigger goat coming along you might prefer to have for dinner so
            please let me by."

            > Now don't kill the messenger. I'm just repeating what that nasty old
            > troll was muttering, down there under the bridge.

            But the little goat tripped on the last plank and fell into the
            clutches of the nasty troll and was forever forced to dance to
            breakdowns at the trolls bluegrass running dances until he keeled
            over dead of exhaustion. And they all co-existed happily ever after
            because all styles cosmically became one on a sub-atomic level with
            the discovery of nanotechnology. THE END.

            But really, these are the words of Darol Anger who attended this ASTA
            conference:
            "The first all-strings American String Teachers' conference (not just
            for teachers!) was held the last weekend of March at Ohio State
            University in 2003. One of the most exciting gatherings of
            alternative string players EVER! Info on the Education page." (--Of
            his website www.darolanger.com)

            Better yet check out this interview with Darol Anger at this link:
            www.digitalinterviews.com/digitalinterviews/views/anger.shtml
            As a "freestyle" fiddler he makes some interesting points about music
            education.
          • The Martins
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
              From: "naugahyderide" <palapala@...>

              > "Touche," the wee little goat replied. "I don't know who the judges
              > are, but perhaps it's at least a start to represent such a category
              > in such an organization at long last? It used to be rather one
              > dimensional. Now they're clamouring to learn the stuff. There's a
              > much bigger goat coming along you might prefer to have for dinner so
              > please let me by."

              Come now, you expect me to believe a goat can speak a whole paragraph?
              My troll will eat the wee little sissy for breakfast.

              > Better yet check out this interview with Darol Anger at this link:
              > www.digitalinterviews.com/digitalinterviews/views/anger.shtml
              > As a "freestyle" fiddler he makes some interesting points about
              > music education.

              I wouldn't call Darol Anger a fiddler. He's one of those "fusion"
              (con-fusion, I say) musicians who never stuck with any genre long
              enough to master it. Stephane Grappelli really mastered the jazz
              violin by going whole hog at it. Guys like Grisman and Anger, though
              amazingly talented musicians, take a little dab of fiddle, a little
              dab of jazz, a little dab of rock and stir it altogether into an
              innocuous, grey, pretty, sparkly, thinly layered decoration. Me an' my
              troll like Red Nichols and Jerry Mulligan for real jazz and James
              Price for real bluegrass fiddling.