Bluegrass Birthdays

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 1912 , Aug 4, 2003
      Bluegrass Birthdays for Monday, August 4, 2003
      Louis Armstrong 1901, Benny Sims 1924, Jimmie Rodgers makes first recording 1927, Scott Stoneman 1932.

      Clatskanie Festival in Clatskanie Oregon has come and gone for another year. The OBA picked up 4 new members there and renewed lots of old acquaintance.
      Bill Bogan, the festival producer, has put this festival on for the past 7 years and this year he had about 500 folks take in this nearly free event. The only charge is for camping as there is no charge for admission. It is held in the city park at Clatskanie 40 miles west of Portland in the Columbia gorge.
      This is an important festival in the northwest as it is a grass roots event. Bill never pays much for groups but it is an excellent event for new groups seeking exposure and experience. I think top pay is about $250 for two sets, plus food coupons. His free bacon and eggs and pancake breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings are legendary.
      After a week of oppressive heat in Oregon, it was nice to be in Clatskanie's quasi coastal climate with very cool evenings necessitating a jacket to go to the evening jams. Sleeping with low 50 degree temps is sure better than 70-80 or 90 degree temps.
      Some of the local bands that stole the show were the Hakanson's, Cascade Colonels, The Emerald Valley Boys and Molly Bloom. The Lost Highway band with Ken Orrick made two appearances and just knocked us all out. What a great band! And funny too. That Paul Shelasky has got to be the funniest guy in the Northwest bluegrass circuit.
      As the guitar player with the Emerald Valley Boys, I really enjoyed sharing the stage twice with two different sets of fiddlers. Our first set we were treated to great fiddling with Rachel of the Looking Glass band. The second set we were treated to the twin fiddling Ella and Emma of the Hakanson sisters. What a great memory we will have of that. Thank you ladies, you were great.
      Fern Anderson, AKA the cookie lady, made an appearance with her many huge trays of home made cookies. Diet or not I could no longer resist and had two of her chocolate chip raspberry cookies. She walked by too close to me and it was an automatic reaction once I smelled them. It was worth it.
      I would hope that you put Clatskanie on your festival list for next year. It's a great little festival in a very cool area of the state that needs our support. Good to see all of you who were there. Ken Cartwright

      Message 1912 of 1912 , Jan 20, 2010
        Mason,

        I agree. All my contracts state that we are independent contractors and are responsible for all taxes. I also describe the purchaser as "authorized representative" instead of "employer".

        To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
        From: mltrking2003@...
        Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:27:02 +0000
        Subject: [nwbluegrass] Re: Music Contract Form

        I don't know about Wa. but in Oregon if you are an employer (as this contract states) you are liable for all income taxes, State unemployment taxes, FICA (SSI), medicare and, workmans comp. insurance! Myself, as a promoter,I would never sign this contract naming myself as an employer, you think ascap is bad........try going up against the government

        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Shelah Spiegel <ifiddler@...> wrote:

        ---SNIP---