  • Jim Rooks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003

      > Over the past year I have not noted a "proliferation" (abundant
      > reproductivity) of drummers in national or regional bluegrass
      > music. Now and then yes, in recording sessions. Our forum
      group's
      > survey supervisor used that word to introduce his survey question
      > some months back. Was the survey shaded or swayed thereby from
      the
      > get-go?

      I was the one that entered that poll. I was suprised that the
      results were not overwhelmingly against drums in bluegrass.

      I consider Allison Kraus, Allison Brown, Earl Scruggs and Jerry
      Douglas abundant reproductivity. Also, if you listen to the
      bluegrass channels over the internet, you will find drums very
      common. In any case, the kind of drums I am talking about are the
      full rock/country set that dominates the sound and the beat. I had
      to leave the Jerry Douglas set at String Summit because his drummer
      was doing a rim shot on the downbeat and it was giving me a
      headache. I personnally do not like drums with string bands. The
      exception is the David Grisman Quintet. Joe Craven plays a mean
      plastic tub. (with spoons and wrenches and I don't get a headache
      from his rim shots).

      I find it very interesting to see that in the 30 years ago column
      in Bluegrass Unlimited, many bands were recording with drums. The
      fad did not last and did not turn the Osbornes and the others in to
      country superstars.

      Anyway, I vote with my dollars and my volume control/mute. I find
      drums in bluegrass very annoying and just won't listen.

      That said, I have never refused to jam with a person playing a drum
      head or suitcase woth brushes (I think I might have jammed with you
      before). I consider jamming a social activity and you and harmonicas
      and accordians are welcome (but not spoons and bagpipes. One can
      only withstand so much torture). So, hope to see you at Clatskanie.

      PS I was not the one who kicked the trombone player out of a jam at
      Winlock last year.