Re: [nwbluegrass] Bluegrass Bass

  • Dee Ann Davidshofer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi, Mike!

      Okay, couldn't resist the subject line. Drew me in like a bear to honey!

      I would heartily encourage you to go for an upright bass if you want to play
      bluegrass. Here's my rationale:

      1. Yes, it's possible to play an electric bass in bluegrass but those who
      can pull it off with taste and acceptability are few and far between (IMHO).
      The tendency is to play too many notes (because you can), and to play too
      loud (again, because you can).

      2. You're going to find readier acceptance if you have an acoustic bass in
      your band than if you have an electric.

      3. Jamming at festivals is MUCH easier! Sure, the electric is smaller, but
      you're gonna have to have an amp to go with it, so it's not any easier.
      And, besides, you won't tick your festival neighbors off by having an amp
      blaring too loud and inappropriately.

      4. You can use your upright as a flotation device in the event of a
      flood...

      Dee Ann

      ------------------------
      Mike asked:

      Howdy all,

      I have a question and I'd like all bluegrass musicians and listeners to
      respond and help me out.

      What would you think of a bass, other than an upright, playing in a band or
      jamming. I'm talking about a guitar style acoustic, or even a electric
      bass. Would you take seriously a band with a guitar style acoustic bass, or
      would you jam with someone playing an electric. It seems like a more
      portable instrument would be nice at a festival instead of lugging around an
      upright.
    • Mike and Julie Carman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
        Howdy all,
        Thanks everyone for your reply to my message about which bluegrass bass to
        play. I will probably go with a uprite bass. Now, to come up with the
        money...
        Thanks again,

        Mike Carman
        Gresham,Or