Re: [nwbluegrass] Basses

  • KingMutt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi Mike,

      Welcome and all that stuff.

      If you want to play bass and plan on joining any bluegrass jams, or starting
      any, then get a nice sounding, acoustic bass fiddle. Your jamming life will
      be hell otherwise.

      As some band member on stage at Wintergrass said, we use an acoustic bass
      because we care. (Well . . . they should have said that.)

      For me, the distinction between the typical acoustic bass fiddle and the
      typical electric bass is like that between mother's breasts and artificial,
      formula-filled bottles. Yes, bottles will work alright, but they're not
      nearly as cool.

      Speaking of acoustic basses, I saw some nice ones out at Cartwright's, in
      Stayton.

      Uhh, did I say that right, Ken?

      -t
    • Ken Cartwright
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2001
        Joe, Good background on the Kay basses. The M-1 is the most common variety model in the Northwest. I have a King in the store but haven't yet seen much in the way of background on them. There was a Kay serial number list in the last year printed in Bluegrass Unlimited. George Taves has a blond S-8 swingmaster that is the second best plywood bass I've ever heard. He's living in Portland now, used to be in Salem and played with into the Blue. Dennis, I couldn't access that Kay site, I'll try again with a data search using Metacrawler. By the way, I just found out that Bear Family has discontinued permanently the box sets of the 3 Monroe and 3 Flatt and Scruggs sets. Guess that makes the ones I have for sale very rare as no wholesalers have them available. Might make a great raffle item for Suzy and Sam. 6 box sets of very rare recordings?
      • Ken Cartwright
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2002
          Joe, on your question of basses from your friend who inquired, all are listed as made in china except the Hermit Schartel, which I believe comes out of the Czech republic. My experience with Chinese basses is to be vary wary of instruments that are shiny and bass like, but not put together to withstand hi torque strings very well. Most of the under $1200 models have painted fingerboards and tailpieces that look like black ebony but are not and usually the first thing that happens is the fingerboards are warped or will warp and if the fingerboard is planed it needs to be refinished. Secondly I find most Chinese basses need a neck reset within the first year as the neck block is under built and or under glued. The mechanical tuners can be a problem too as the specs for machining are pretty sloppy and we usually have to upgrade the tuners and that can cost about $250. The strings they come with are deplorable and a decent set of Thomastic or D'Addario can run $145 to $200. I usually advise people that when buying a Chinese bass, unless it comes from a shop that knows how and will set them up before you get them that you will spend another 300 to 600 within the first year and a half in order to get a decent bass. By the way, Chinese basses have a very low resell price. The Chinese instruments use non air dried woods that shrink and twist. The first thing to happen usually is the sound post needs to be replaced and the bridge will warp. My advise is to buy an Engelhardt made in Chicago. Even their least expensive still carries a good warranty and they are laminated so they hold up to bluegrass rigors and all their parts are put together correctly the first time. Plus it's American made and we rarely see them for sale used which mean they hold up and hold their value. Mando Medic

        • Ken Cartwright
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18 10:12 PM
            Geoff,
            Recently someone posted some new basses for sale. One
            was a Chinese and the other a new Engelhardt. I would stay
            far away from the Chinese bases. I have handled the
            inexpensive, medium and expensive ones and unless you are
            good at knowing what to expect when the wood settles in I
            wouldn't suggest Chinese. Engelhardt basses are made in
            Chicago and come in price ranges from $1400 to $2600. For
            new basses, they can't be beat. Made by Americans and well
            made at that. I can still get them, as several others on
            this list can too. The difference is in how they are setup
            when you get them. I replace the bridges, strings and
            soundposts and then dial them in. You pay a little more this
            way, but you get a lot more for your money. Unfortunately,
            there just aren't enough of the old ones around to go around
            anymore. I would set a target of $1500 to $1800 for a bass.
            It would be comparable to buying a D-18 Martin. Ken
            Cartwright
            "Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright."
          • P. Liley
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18 10:18 PM
              Maybe this one is still available.

              Pat L.
              Prosser, WA

              >I email'ed the guy (Lee Mason), and it sounds like a good deal. He's
              >at leebm29 [at] yahoo.com Actually he's up near Portland ... in
              >Aloha, OR. Let's help him sell the doghouse. I know plenty of people
              >looking. I don't need another bass, but here's what Lee says -
              >
              >"It is NEW. Engelhardt's TOP bass !!! It is 3/4 comes with bag and
              >bow.
              >
              >ES-9 Swingmaster Bass
              >The Swingmaster , is the "top of the line" for Engelhardt basses. It
              >uses ebony for the fingerboard and tailpiece, and the body is made
              >of "more select woods." ES9 have a more transparent finish to show
              >off these woods. These instruments receive additional cosmetic
              >attention, and as a result they are quite attractive.

              Just read an add for a 3/4 size upright bass for sale in the Eugene, OR
              area. $595

              Pat L.
            • goose prairie
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 19 8:11 PM
                Ken, thanks for the input on the bass. Its not my instrument, so it takes a lot of feedback from kind folks like you to help me.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/iuUuID/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/sf.olB/TM