Re: [nwbluegrass] 100 worst country songs

  • eddard
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1 2:17 AM
      From: Tjac IBN
      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 10:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] 100 worst country songs

      D-I-V-O-R-C-E was one song that shook my belief in Country music.
      Tjac

      <kenc@...>
      To: <nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com>
      100 worst country songs

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • eddard
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1 2:33 AM
        Preceding non-post from me was definitely because I DOUBLE-clicked "reply" in the process of invoking a prior post, in order to avoid addressing a post. Sorry, all. I deserve 20 lashes for being so lazy and not getting a fresh letter instead of cutting the content from an old one, if I can't remember to SINGLE click "Reply," I guess.

        All the poetry teachers I ever had harangued me never to rhyme a word with itself, but in 1973, there was a big country and western hit that went

        In heaven there is no beer,
        That's why we drink beer here,
        And when we're gone from here,
        Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

        If it had other words, they never reached me, and despite this unseemly infraction of the basic rules of rhyme, the thing sold a million copies or better.

        I went with one of my friends to play a New Year's Eve gig at a tavern in Arlington, WA, and it was definitely the most requested song of the night, we must have played it about ten times that night.

        The only serious competition I can think of readily for "In Heaven There Is No Beer" is a thing from the 50's that went

        "Hazel, Hazel, you shouldn't have done it;"
        "Hazel, Hazel, you're doing me wroooong......."

        and I'll be sheep dipped if I can remember any more of it, but my sister and I singled it out for quite a bit of ridicule at the time. It was just too..... well, corny. Does anyone else remember it?

        eddard

      • Bob Bickers
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1 7:19 AM
          "Achy Breaky" has to be right in there.
          Bob, "Glad to not hear that" in Sutherlin
        • sunbeam98592
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1 7:53 AM
            ---
            "Still" - I STILL can't stand that song!

            Greg

            In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "pearsun806" <kenc@w...> wrote:
            > Now look, there are over 400 of us on this list. Nobody needs to
            be
            > left out of this highly scientific and worthy list of bad country
            > songs. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to people
            when a
            > certain song like Knock Three Times, or Does Your Chewing Gum
            Loose
            > It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight came up in conversation and
            they
            > darned near hurled. So come on, jump in there, nobody is gonna
            bite
            > your head off if you finally come clean and mention that song you
            > hate. What is it? Spiders and Snakes, Song Sung Blue? Old Rattler?
            > Give it up! You'll feel better in the morning if you do this.
          • Suzanne
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1 8:29 AM
              ....The countdown continues....

              #2: Achy Breaky Heart

              #1: (I'll probably get some flak for this one - wasn't it on the Best
              100 songs list?).... my nominee:

              "Stand By Your Man" - Tammy Wynette.... UGH!

              Standin' by my man Suz, Eugene

              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bickers <goldstar@r...> wrote:
              > "Achy Breaky" has to be right in there.
              > Bob, "Glad to not hear that" in Sutherlin
            • Jim Rooks
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1 8:51 AM
                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "pearsun806" <kenc@w...> wrote:
                > Now look, there are over 400 of us on this list. Nobody needs to
                be
                > left out of this highly scientific and worthy list of bad country
                > songs. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to people
                when a
                > certain song like Knock Three Times, or Does Your Chewing Gum
                Loose
                > It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight came up in conversation and
                they
                > darned near hurled. So come on, jump in there, nobody is gonna
                bite
                > your head off if you finally come clean and mention that song you
                > hate. What is it? Spiders and Snakes, Song Sung Blue? Old Rattler?
                > Give it up! You'll feel better in the morning if you do this.

                This is the hardest challenge I have seen on this list. How can I
                choose only one or 100? No, I can't. My worst contry songs are all
                of them recorded after 1965.
              • Tjac IBN
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1 8:55 AM
                  I remember the roving US cowboys that came up to Alberta to help with the
                  roundups. Every year we'd get to hear them sing:

                  As I ran across the tater patch
                  To see if my ol' hen had hatched
                  She jumped up singing a te-e-en (tune)
                  Sixteen Chickens and a tambourine
                  Chorus:
                  Sixteen chickens and a tambourine
                  A roo da, a roo da daw day
                  The funnist thing I ever seen
                  Was sixteen chickens and a tambourine

                  My classically trained mother almost burst a gut when she heard my brother
                  singing it. That song," she said, "takes me closer to the grave." Of
                  course she said that about Wayne Raney's Yoyo song, too. Go figure!
                  Tjac
                • Theron Yochelson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1 10:47 AM
                    Let's not forget "Watching Scotty Grow" and, while not necessarily Country (and not necessarily anything else), "Scratchy".

                    Back to lurkdom.

                  • The Martins
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 7:32 PM
                      From: "Jim Rooks" <jrooks@...>

                      > My worst contry songs are all
                      > of them recorded after 1965.

                      I agree wholeheartedly. I think that's about when Flatt &
                      Scruggs began to go downhill, too.

                      Bill Martin
                    • scottdt1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 9:26 PM
                        ---

                        > All the poetry teachers I ever had harangued me never to rhyme a
                        word with itself, but in 1973, there was a big country and western
                        hit that went

                        > In heaven there is no beer,
                        > That's why we drink beer here,
                        > And when we're gone from here,
                        > Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

                        > The only serious competition I can think of readily for "In Heaven
                        There Is No Beer"....
                        > eddard

                        That was an Irish drinking song and a polka before Dr. demento made
                        it famous in the 70's. I also have an MP3 of The University of Iowa
                        Hawkeye Marching Band doing that song.

                        I didn't see any votes for Kenny Rogers after he left the First
                        Edition. Lucille, The Gambler, Daytime Friends, You Decorated My
                        Life,Coward Of The County , etc. YUCK!

                        But my #1 vote has to go to "A Boy named Sue".

                        Some gal would giggle and I'd get red,
                        And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head.
                        I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named 'Sue'.
                      • Sally Jane Wilson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1 10:01 PM
                          > I didn't see any votes for Kenny Rogers after he left the First
                          > Edition. Lucille, The Gambler, Daytime Friends, You Decorated My
                          > Life,Coward Of The County , etc. YUCK!
                          >
                          > But my #1 vote has to go to "A Boy named Sue".
                          >
                          > Some gal would giggle and I'd get red,
                          > And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head.
                          > I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named 'Sue'.

                          Oh, now wait just a doggone minute there, Scott. Shel's Sue song is a
                          classic!

                          I must agree with you about the Kenny Rogers songs. YIKES! How
                          about "Ruby, Don't Take Yer Love Ta Town"?

                          Suzanne, "Stand By Your Man" is also a classic, albeit, a $100 song.
                          I am happy to perform that with Leroy Newport's band for $100
                          minimum. I sang it once at HooDoo and it brought the house down. I
                          mean...well, I *think* they liked it...

                          And while I'm on a verbal kick, y'all missed a wonderful show in
                          beautiful Pistol River, Oregon last Friday. Perfect Strangers did
                          three wonderful sets. The weather was incredible and I can still hear
                          the ocean calling me back. It was kinda strange to attend a bluegrass
                          concert where I didn't know any of the audience members aside from my
                          own party. Were there any list members whom I did not recognize?

                          I came back to lead the last Saturday jam in Corvallis, OR Saturday
                          night. We had a very small group and the manager of New Morning
                          Bakery has decided to suspend the jams until October, when the
                          students come back to town.

                          Dave, I can't wait to jam in the Pavillion again!

                          -Festival Season Sal
                        • The Martins
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1 10:23 PM
                            From: "scottdt1" <sthompson@...>

                            > I didn't see any votes for Kenny Rogers

                            In an interview in the mid-1980s Kenny said very frankly
                            that his producers' recommended he go "country" because they
                            felt the market was moving that way. He claimed he wasn't a
                            country singer but that he was making a smart business move.
                            His songs were awful enough as it was, but after hearing him
                            say that...

                            Speaking of bad country music, one of the guys at work had
                            his blaring boombox tuned to some country station that
                            seemed to play the same song all day long. The "dj" (was he
                            digital or analog) announced different names for each song
                            and different performers, but I think he was flimflamming.
                            He was really playing the same cut over and over. Yes, it
                            seems bluegrass really is the last bastion of real
                            commercial country music.

                            Bill
                          • mandoholic2@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1 11:43 PM
                              In a message dated 7/1/2003 9:27:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                              sthompson@... writes:

                              > But my #1 vote has to go to "A Boy named Sue".
                              >
                              > Some gal would giggle and I'd get red,
                              > And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head.
                              > I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named 'Sue'.

                              For those of us who grew up with wierd names this song is our anthem. The
                              fifties were tough on a boy named Clyde and I did bust a few heads. I'm much
                              better now, but I still like that song.

                              Clyde

                            • pearsun806
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 2 6:15 AM
                                I'm just a Cocoa Cola Cowboy? What is that? And as far as " I like
                                bannana's because they have no bones", It never made it into the
                                country rotation except at KCKX in Woodburn. That was done by the
                                Hoosier Hot Shots by the way. Another candidate would be Hank
                                Thompson's "Smokey the Bar".