Re: [nwbluegrass] Wintergrass

  • Faddis
    Message 1 of 64 , Feb 28, 2001
      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] Wintergrass

      > Jim wrote:
      >
      > I think I'm going to skip Wgrass next year though.

      > Why Jim? (just curious)
      >
      > Kathy

      Well, it's like this. It's sort of gotten to be a routine and a rut for
      me and I would like to take a year off so that when it comes around in 2003
      I will REALLY want to go to it, instead of the "Oh it's February, I must be
      going to Wintergrass" feeling that I've gotten over the last few years. And
      I know there will be acts that I will miss and good times and all that but I
      want to get that "hungry" feeling again. Of course, that might all change
      depending on the lineup but it would take something really special for me to
      make it in 2002.
      At the risk of getting too involved with an answer, Wintergrass has
      never been a favorite of mine because it's noisy, expensive and I always
      wonder what sort of weather may come up to cross over Snoqualmie Pass. Now,
      I usually have a good time and I enjoy catching up with folks but to me I
      just like the summer festivals better.
      I've been to about all of them so I think Wintergrass will survive
      without me for one year. And something that just popped into my head-for
      the last few years it seems as though Wintergrass has gone from a bluegrass
      festival to a lot of other things and I think that with the obvious success
      of Grisman it might be headed away even further. I know that a lot of
      people like it, but I just can't see Celtic music at a bluegrass festival
      (and yes, I am aware of the obvious connection) and I have wondered if it's
      a matter of diluting the programming just to draw in a more diverse crowd to
      pay the bills. And I know that a lot of people that know me might say I'm
      the pot calling the kettle black given my musical attitudes but that's just
      my opinion. I'm always willing to listen to the other side though.

      Anyhow, thanks for asking,
      Jim
    • kencradio
      Message 64 of 64 , Feb 5, 2011
        <suzisamuels@...> wrote:
        Rich, You mentioned a friend who was looking for a Martin. Are they still looking?

        Ken asks: Suz, what have you got? offline please... Thanks, Kenc