review: Eddie and Martha Adcock's "Twograss"

  • joe ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      G'mornin',
      Happy Monday to everyone. What do you all think of Eddie and Martha Adcock?
      Here's a review of their new album ("Twograss") which hit the streets on May
      20th. Check it out.
      Joe

      EDDIE & MARTHA ADCOCK - TwoGrass
      Pinecastle Records PRC-1128
      PO BOX 456, Orlando, FL. 32802
      www.pinecastle.com or www.eddieandmarthadcock.com
      EMAIL: info@...
      Playing Time - 33:58
      Song List: 1)Let's, 2)Something to Be Finding, 3)It's Grand to Have Someone
      Love You, 4)Have Thine Own Way, 5)I Am a Pilgrim, 6)Pretty Redwing,
      7)Nobody's Darling but Mine, 8)Where Will I Shelter My Sheep, 9)I Got Wise
      10)Uncle Joe, 11)My Destiny, 12)Gold Watch and Chain

      Eddie and Martha Adcock produce a lot of sound together, but one can wish
      that they would have also included some guests for additional vocal harmony,
      as well as a few hot mandolin, fiddle and resonator guitar breaks on this
      project, their first in five years. Obviously, "TwoGrass" is meant to
      support and showcase just the dynamic duo, also known as "the biggest little
      band in bluegrass." They've also been called "The Sonny and Cher of
      Bluegrass."

      This lean approach is successful largely because of their choice of eclectic
      material that spans folk to Gospel, jazz to blues, and country to bluegrass.
      Half of the album is comprised of original material. "Let's" kicks off the
      album on an uptempo note. "Something to Be Finding" is a contemporary song
      of optimism and hope. Martha sings a beautiful "Have Thine own Way." Eddie's
      original "Uncle Joe," is a ballad of a song-carrying relative who lived in
      the mountains. Material from Don Reno, Jimmie Davis, Joe Grieshop, Carter
      Stanley, Helen Carter and A.P. Carter round out the offerings.

      Eddie Adcock hails from Virginia, but he currently resides in Nashville. His
      first professional banjo-playing job dates back to 1957 when he played (at
      age 14) for Mac Wiseman. He then worked with Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass
      Boys that same year. In 1958, Adcock joined The Country Gentlemen (replacing
      Pete Kuykendall). In 1970, Adcock left the Country Gentlemen, moved to
      California, and played rock music under the pseudonym "Clinton Kodack." In
      1971, he formed band with Jimmy Gaudreau called the Iind (Second)
      Generation. In 1976, he formed "Eddie Adcock and Talk of the Town", with
      wife-to-be Martha (Hearon) and Missy Raines (bass). Also toured with David
      Allan Coe. This group eventually became "The Eddie Adcock Band." In 1990-91,
      performed with "The Masters" featuring Eddie on banjo and guitar, Jesse
      McReynolds on mandolin, Josh Graves on Dobro, and Kenny Baker on fiddle.
      Although Eddie is considered one of the pioneers of new acoustic music,
      Twograss exhibits a distinctly traditional sound. In 1996, Adcock was
      inducted into the IBMA's Hall of Honor as a member of the "Classic" Country
      Gentlemen.

      Raised in a musical family from South Carolina cotton country, Martha has
      classical music training but started teaching herself stringed instruments
      since age eight. After a long folk and fingerpicking phase, she fell in
      love with bluegrass in her late teens. Bluegrass festivals in North
      Carolina and Virginia introduced her to guitar players like Charlie Waller,
      Jimmy Martin, Bill Harrell and Dan Crary. After moving to Nashville in 1973,
      Martha met Eddie. She started running the sound for Eddie's group, II
      Generation, then joined the band shortly thereafter. Since then, they've
      worked with up to a seven-piece newgrass band, with David Allan Coe doing
      country rock, and now as a duo called "TwoGrass." Martha calls this her
      favorite configuration yet. "We always try to put out 120 percent," she once
      said. "If the music and the show work, you can congratulate us ; and if it
      doesn't, you can blame us, just us. There's nobody else to hide behind. We
      love working together and know we're very fortunate to be able to spend our
      time together. And since there's just two of us, we can stop for supper
      wherever we want on the road without having to consult other opinions.
      Minimum people, minimum problems. It's so easy and satisfying like this.
      We're enjoying the heck out of it." Husband and wife duos are rarely as
      solid as the Adcocks, with their vocal blends accentuated by tasty banjo
      breaks. (Joe Ross)