Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Bluegrass Festivals

  • mandoholic2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
      I know this is going to ruin my liberal, easygoing, open-minded image,
      but.......

      I was at a jam tonight in Corvalis, while packing up a man asked me if I was
      going to Telluride. I said no, my musical tastes are not the eclectic
      anymore. And I find that's true, I'm not going to pay to hear music that I don't
      like. I have looked at the lineup at Telluride and find that I wouldn't like
      most of the bands playing there. If I go to a festival, and pay to get in, I
      want to like most of the bands playing there, and mostly I like Bluegrass, and I
      know exactly what Bluegrass is, just ask sometime, I'll be glad to elaborate.
      I find that I'm getting narrower in my musical tastes with age and a little
      quicker to voice my opinion. I think that comes with the gray hair. I didn't
      like the mix of bands at Wintergrass, I wouldn't have paid to get in that's
      for sure. I think there should be mostly Bluegrass Bands at a Bluegrass
      Festival, period. If not call it something else. I'm not saying I don't like other
      types of music, I loved True Blue at the Little Opry show, I listen to
      Performance Today on NPR every day, I have played in the same Celtic band for 25
      years, I think Don Edwards is a god, I play blues with my son almost every week,
      but, when I go to a Bluegrass Festival I want to hear Bluegrass, and I want to
      be around a Bluegrass crowd. I want to know that I don't have to lock my
      trailer, that my instruments are safe, that I know most of the faces around my
      campfire and the ones I don't know would feel welcome, I'll make the coffee. No
      drums, no spoons, no bones, no drunks, no banjolins, well of course there are
      exceptions to every rule. Accordions, no exception. I have limited time,
      limited talent, and limited memory, so I have to focus on what I like and what I
      can do and what I know. I guess I am one of those "Bluegrass Elitists" but
      only at Bluegrass Festivals, call it something else and I will be more tolerant,
      and probably not there.

      Clyde (just my opinion, but its right)

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
        Clyde, just your opinion and you are right.. And we will miss you. However,
        Nicki can stilll be our stand in bass player anytime..

        ...something blue

        ---SNIP---

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
          In a message dated 6/1/2003 12:26:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          GZsound@... writes:

          > Clyde, just your opinion and you are right.. And we will miss you. However,
          >
          > Nicki can stilll be our stand in bass player anytime..
          >
          > Mark Gensman
          > Ground Zero Sound
          > ...something blue

          I've never backed away from playing with you guys, and never called it no
          part of nothin', I'll just bring the banjolin next time so I can be heard along
          sing the brass fiddle.

          Clyde

        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
            And not to metion some dang good biscuits & gravy in his pre-Adkins
            life!

            missin' dem biscuits,

            Bandless Non-Knott Suzanne
            Eugene

            > I'll make the coffee.
            > Clyde (just my opinion, but its right)
          • snadieh
            Message 5 of 11 , May 23, 2009
              Great summary Edderd, that's how I feel after attending a festival, grinning for days afterward. I haven't seen anything listed about
              Tygh Valley festival at all this year, did I miss something? You mentioned Coney Oldenburg, is she back in the Northwest yet? I'm going to be living in Arizona this coming winter, maybe we could meet up.
              Ken Cartwright I hope you are doing much better, I know how awful it is to be kicked by the pnemonia bug, but then to have a double wammy wow.
              Well ya'll stay bluegrassin' ya hear.
              Sandy in Myrtle Creek
            • eddard
              Message 6 of 11 , May 23, 2009
                If you missed anything, it wasn't very much; the snippets of information have been few in number.  As the Tygh Valley happens further into the Fall than all the other NW festivals, I'm used to not even thinking about it until the end of August.  I believe I have heard a couple of times from Vicki, who watches the future a little closer than I do, that there are plans for some special observance at Tygh Valley this year in connection with it being the tenth Tygh Valley festival, but I can't tell you where that information came from; possibly it was funnelled to us through George McKnight's Uptown Bluegass program.  I'm pretty sure there will be a festival, barring a catastrophe of some kind.

                I believe that as we speak, Coney and Carrol are either on their way to or in Montana.  I've been told that their first festival in Washington this year will be the one at Sacajawea State Park.

                http://www.eddard.com

                Message 7 of 11 , May 23, 2009
                  Eddard,
                  Nancy and I will be doing our first festival this year in Cashmere, although we do hope to get to Goldendale for one day on Saturday.  We'll have a special guest with us at Cashmere.  The daughter of my all time favorite family I stayed with when I was studying Spanish down in Costa Rica is visiting and will be coming.  She seems eager for the bluegrass experience, but I'm sure she doesn't have a clue about what is in store.
                  Geoff

                  From: snadieh <blu4ever@pioneer- net.com>

                  To: nwbluegrass@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24, 2009
                    Tygh Valley is going to happen for sure this year. A great line up of artists and possibly the most beautiful setting for any festival in the Northwest.

                    Last weekend of September.

                    To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24, 2009
                      Hi Eddard, Sandy and all our other Bluegrass Friends,

                      As I write this we are at Glacier National Park with a very weak internet connection. I hope this makes it through. But on Tuesday we will get to Libby, Montana for Pasture Pickin' where we will hang out for almost 2 weeks till Sacajawea and then Cashmere. Can't wait to see and pick with everyone again.

                      And Sandy, where will you be living in Arizona next winter? Lots of bluegrass in Arizona all winter. There are festivals, camp outs and jams. It's fun, fun, fun. We bought a house in Tucson but we take the motorhome to lots of bluegrass happenings. Let me know where you will be.

                      See you soon.
                      Coney