review of Chris Stuart's "Angels of Mineral Springs"

  • joe ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2003
      Hi, This isn't exactly bluegras, but I think you'd like this album.
      Joe
      ************
      CHRIS STUART - Angels of Mineral Springs
      Backcountry Records BCK-836
      13774 Recuerdo Drive, Del Mar, CA. 92014
      http://www.backcountryrecords.com Email: chris@...
      Total playing time - 41:42
      Song Listing: Desert Lullaby Intro, Springhill Mine, Elvis Stays Home, I Did
      Not Hear Them Go, The Road Into Town, Angels Of Mineral Springs, Desert
      Lullaby, Saro, The Last Yellow Rose, Slow Dancing At Evangeline's, Chasing
      The Fire, A Single Candle

      I first became familiar with Chris Stuart when he was performing with the
      fine contemporary bluegrass band, Cornerstone. Originally from Florida,
      Chris is now a Californian who clearly shows that he's still got southern
      musical sensibilities and a knack for crafting and singing beautiful
      expressive songs with meaningful messages. In 1993, Stuart took top honors
      in both the bluegrass and gospel
      categories at the Merlefest Chris Austin songwriting contest. Over the
      years, his songs have been recorded by Claire Lynch, Suzanne Thomas, Sally
      Jones, the Schankman Twins, Tina Adair, and others. Best described as
      Americana music, "Angels of Mineral Springs" features first-rate guest
      artists Ron Block, Chris Jones, Irl Hees, Gabe Witcher, Pam Daley, Eric
      Uglum, Marshall Andrews, and others. Besides guitar, violin, bass and some
      sparingly used mandolin and banjo, Hammond organ, percussion, cello, viola,
      tinwhistles, and keyboard also find their way into the mix on this album.

      Gabe Witcher fiddles a haunting half-minute "Desert Lullaby Intro" to set
      the stage for a sad tale of doom in "Springhill Mine." Pam Daley provides a
      beautifully blended harmony vocal on this, and other ballads on the album. A
      funky classic soulful sound is given to "Elvis Stays Home," which tells of
      one of Elvis' childhood dreams, its foreboding of the future, and what Elvis
      would've done had he not left to become King. "I Did Not Hear Them Go," a
      relaxed Celtic-flavored song, is an expressive and unique way to ask about
      lost loves. Ron Block's banjo drives a bluegrassy "The Road Into Town," with
      its "love of the old mountain home" theme. The album's title cut is an
      uplifting tale of two angels. Pam Daley and Gabe Witcher provide a rawboned
      arrangement of "Desert Lullaby," a soothing new-timey tune with an old-timey
      feel featuring only vocals and fiddle. The singing of Chris Stuart, Pam
      Daley and Eric Uglum sent a chill up my spine as they harmonize "Saro, I'll
      forever call your name" for a pioneer child lost. Country music influences
      are apparent as the album begins to draw to a close with the songs, The Last
      Yellow Rose, Slow Dancing at Evangeline's, and Chasing the Fire. Stuart ends
      the project with an inspirational message of hope in "A Single Candle."

      Chris Stuart is a talented singer and masterful storyteller. With this
      album, he takes his eloquent lyrics, and complements them with beautiful
      accompaniment and pleasant musical arrangements. It's simply exceptional
      music, spiced up with many different influences so all should find something
      to tingle their aural palette on "Angels of Mineral Springs." I personally
      wouldn't have minded a few more uptempo pieces, but, all in all, this album
      is a very professional and well-produced showcase for Americana
      singer/songwriter Chris Stuart. He is currently fronting a band called
      "Chris Stuart and Backcountry" so look for them also at a venue or festival
      near you. (Joe Ross)

    • joe ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
        Have any of you heard this one? It's not really bluegrass but would appeal
        to those who like Americana.
[...]

        singer/songwriter Chris Stuart. (Joe Ross)