33390Re: Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to nwbluegrass. Visit today!

  • Joe Ross
    Dec 1, 2006
      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, pcasey38@... wrote:

      > Speaking of the current state of Country music I think it was P.T.
      Barnum
      > that said........You can never go broke underestimating the taste
      of the
      > American public.

      Hello,
      Welcome to this nwbg list, Sue! I remember when Flatt & Scruggs or
      Reno & Smiley were considered "country." I still love to listen to
      old classic country music from the 1930-50s. Can hardly go wrong with
      old songs sung by Hank, Ernest, Patsy, Eddy, Gene, Johnny, Red,
      Lefty, Woody, Johnny, George, Webb, Charley, Tex, Porter, or Faron.
      There was a time in the 60s when the fiddle was not vogue with either
      country and bluegrass bands. Too "hillbilly" said the record execs.
      But it seems like the Dobro really took off about that time. I'm real
      happy to see the mandolin being used by some country bands today. I
      guess that I like some of the acoustic country, alt-country,
      insurgent country, Texas outlaw country, etc. being performed today.
      seeya