Porting the OS to an MSP430

  • Gregg Levine
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4 4:52 PM
      Hello!
      Has anyone tried to port Nuttx to the MSP430? It seems to be a perfect
      target for the Operating System... But as it happens I have worked
      with the family, specifically the F2012 and its ilk. However that's as
      far as I have gone.

      Incidentally GCC has been ported to the MSP430, but I run the IAR
      tools here for Windows so I don't know if it would be possible to do
      so.
      -----
      Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
    • Gregory N
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4 5:28 PM
        Hi, Gregg,

        This is second query about MSP430 I've heard recently. It must be a good choice. There is nothing in the source tree now for MSP430 and I am not aware of anyone working on an MSP430 port.

        I keep my eyes open for MSP430 boards on eBay, but I haven't run across one yet that I liked. I'll keep looking.

        Greg
      • Gregg Levine
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4 5:37 PM
          On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Gregory N <spudarnia@...> wrote:
          > Hi, Gregg,
          >
          > This is second query about MSP430 I've heard recently.  It must be a good choice.  There is nothing in the source tree now for MSP430 and I am not aware of anyone working on an MSP430 port.
          >
          > I keep my eyes open for MSP430 boards on eBay, but I haven't run across one yet that I liked.  I'll keep looking.
          >
          > Greg
          > ------------------------------------

          Hello!
          Understood. All of mine were supplied for free via TI itself at
          several events over the past few years that the parts have been
          available. You are where Costa Rica? We'd need to check but the big
          headache is that of convincing or confusing TI to physically ship the
          LaunchPad to your location. It's cheap and perfect for some
          applications.

          However the ones I use are the F2013 sticks, these are the eZ430-F2013
          tool. From TI's site the thing is about 20 dollars (US) new, and they
          do sell three available extra modules about 10 dollars (US).

          We'd need to see who supports TI where you are..... This is an
          interesting problem.

          Incidentally the Softbaugh boards and the ones from TI are more then
          acceptable. The ones from Olimex are darn near impossible to properly
          program.

          Which ones did you see there? Olimex thinks they make good ones,
          problem is only they can do what we do.
          -----
          Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
        • Gregory N
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 6:13 PM
            Yes, Costa Rica. There is no real market for development boards here so I have to import everything from the US (think beaches, monkeys, coffee, bananas, snakes, ...).

            I have a PO box in the US that will forward to Costa Rica for a reasonable amount. But I still have to fill out the forms for exporting technology outside the US.

            If I am reading the specs right, MSP430F2013 only has 2Kb of flash and 128b of SRAM. So that doesn't look like a candidate. There are different members of the MSP430 family ranging up to 256Kb FLASH and 18Kb SRAM. But they will certainly be more pricey.

            Greg
          • Harley Laue
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7 7:24 AM
              Gregory N wrote:
              > If I am reading the specs right, MSP430F2013 only has 2Kb of flash and 128b
              > of SRAM. So that doesn't look like a candidate. There are different
              > members of the MSP430 family ranging up to 256Kb FLASH and 18Kb SRAM. But
              > they will certainly be more pricey.

              I have a Launchpad which is compatible with the G2xx Value Line MSP430
              chips. I'm sure Gregory will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I
              just don't think the specs (Flash: 2KB, RAM: 128B) are good enough of
              these devices to hold even the most minimal build of NuttX. This means
              that the very inexpensive Launchpad is out of the question. The 2xx
              and beyond might come closer with its specs being (up to): Flash:
              120KB & RAM: 8KB (the MSP430F2418 seems to be the closest to actually
              matching that spec.) Though, I'm still not totally sure that 116Kb/8KB
              gives you much to work with. IMO, I think the 5xx/6xx series is
              probably the best bet with it having Flash: up to 256KB & RAM: up to
              16KB. They'd give the most room to play with. Though, the 4xx series
              have a built in LCD controller which would probably make them more
              interesting :)

              --
              A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
              Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?