Re: Port to new Atmel sam4l platform

  • apluscw
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      --- In nuttx@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory N" <spudarnia@...> wrote:

      > > Is there any plans to port nuttx to the new sam4l arm based mcu?
      > >
      > > http://www.atmel.com/microsite/sam4l/default.aspx
      > >
      > > I think that this new mcu fits well in a project that I will start soon, so I'd help if necessary.
      >
      > I have been considering the Arduino Due board: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue for some time. But that is a SAM3X8E. I intended to start that soon (but I have no hardware in hand yet).
      >
      > The SAM4L has a Cortex-M4, but otherwise seems to be a lower end MCU than the SAM3X: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc42023.pdf vs. http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc11057.pdf . The SAM4L is considerably less memory and is clocked more slowly.
      >
      > Are there any development boards for the SAM4L that you would recommend as a reference port?
      >
      > There is already a port for the SAM3U in the source tree (at arch/arm/src/sam3u) for the SAM3U-EK development board (configs/sam3u-ek). I got a good start on the port before I accidentally bricked by sam3u-ek. At any rate, that would probably be the starting point for either the SAM3X or the SAM4L.
      >
      > Greg

      I have used the SAM4L-EK development board for SAM4L development board. It has a built-in Segger bebugger. There is now an Explain Pro board for the 4L that I have not tried. I have a SAM3X-EK board to try out a port and a SAM-ICE. They are no longer in production BTW. I might also be able to get my hands on a SAM3U board. Let me know if there is a port for me to try.
    • Gregory N
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        > > > Is there any plans to port nuttx to the new sam4l arm based mcu?
        > > >
        > > > http://www.atmel.com/microsite/sam4l/default.aspx
        > > >
        > > > I think that this new mcu fits well in a project that I will start soon, so I'd help if necessary.
        > >
        > > I have been considering the Arduino Due board: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue for some time. But that is a SAM3X8E. I intended to start that soon (but I have no hardware in hand yet).
        > >
        > > The SAM4L has a Cortex-M4, but otherwise seems to be a lower end MCU than the SAM3X: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc42023.pdf vs. http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc11057.pdf . The SAM4L is considerably less memory and is clocked more slowly.
        > >
        > > Are there any development boards for the SAM4L that you would recommend as a reference port?
        > >
        > > There is already a port for the SAM3U in the source tree (at arch/arm/src/sam3u) for the SAM3U-EK development board (configs/sam3u-ek). I got a good start on the port before I accidentally bricked by sam3u-ek. At any rate, that would probably be the starting point for either the SAM3X or the SAM4L.
        > >
        > > Greg
        > >
        > I have used the SAM4L-EK development board for SAM4L development board. It has a built-in Segger bebugger. There is now an Explain Pro board for the 4L that I have not tried. I have a SAM3X-EK board to try out a port and a SAM-ICE. They are no longer in production BTW. I might also be able to get my hands on a SAM3U board. Let me know if there is a port for me to try.

        Does that mean that you have to buy a license from Segger to use the built-in debugger?

        There is a port to the SAM3U. The README file can be viewed here: http://sourceforge.net/p/nuttx/git/ci/master/tree/nuttx/configs/sam3u-ek/

        This port worked well the last time I used it. But my SAM3U-EK was bricked while integrating the touchscreen. So I have not tested this configuration is a year or more.