Re: [nuttx] Re: uip webserver performance

  • Max Holtzberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
      Am 01.09.2012 01:49, schrieb Gregory N:
      > Hi, Max, Kate,
      >
      >>> [snip]

      >>> Hi Max,
      >>>
      >>> I'm interested in that, too.
      >>>
      >>> I was just about to do something similar. In my case I just need to map a few URLs to functions.
      >>>
      >>> Kate
      >>
      >> Hi Kate, Greg,
      >>
      >> here's the patch. The binary image isn't included in the diff, so I
      >> attached it separately.
      >>
      >> Max
      >
      > Checked in. I have built your STM3240G-EVAL webserver example and it builds cleanly with no errors or warnings. But I did not test it because I have a different setup on the bench now... I was hoping that one of you could verify the correctness on your hardware?
      Tested on stm3240g-eval, it works.

      > I am wondering only one thing. With this change, apps/examples/uip now depends on perl installed at /usr/bin/perl now in order to build correctly. Perl is pervasive and I am not sure if that is a problem or not. I am wondering if there should not be a fallback to the hard-coded case if perl is not available?
      >
      > Greg
      I can provide a fallback, but I think it's better to let other
      developers stumble over a missing perl environment instead of wondering
      why the content is not built dynamically.
      However, thats my point of view.

      Max
    • Gregory N
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
        Hi, Max,

        > > I am wondering only one thing. With this change, apps/examples/uip now depends on perl installed at /usr/bin/perl now in order to build correctly. Perl is pervasive and I am not sure if that is a problem or not. I am wondering if there should not be a fallback to the hard-coded case if perl is not available?
        > >
        > > Greg
        > I can provide a fallback, but I think it's better to let other
        > developers stumble over a missing perl environment instead of wondering
        > why the content is not built dynamically.
        > However, thats my point of view.
        >
        > Max

        You are probably right. I am just worrying too much.

        Your change is the important one that makes the uIP web server actually usable. For me the uIP webserver was just a toy that I did not take very seriously, but you have made it usable.

        So if someone cannot built the uIP webserver, then there is really not much value in making the canned, toy system available anyway.

        Greg
      • Gregory N
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
          Hi, Kate,

          > > Does this mean that you no longer need a symbol table for NXFLAT? I did create the lib.csv file as we talked about, but not the program that generates the symbol table.
          >
          > I still think that's a good feature to provide, whether I end up needing it or not.

          There is now a program at tools/mksymtab.c that will create a (big) symbol table from syscall/syscall.csv and lib/lib.csv.

          Greg
        • katefishcheese
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2012
            --- In nuttx@yahoogroups.com, Michael Smith <drziplok@...> wrote:

            > Kate,
            >
            > Have you considered using a scripting language with a decent FFI?
            >
            > I have Lua and Squirrel ports just kicking around looking for a good use at the moment...

            Hi Mike,

            Thank you, but C suits my needs just fine for now :)

            Kate