4711Re: [nuttx] About Bluetooth Support

  • Alan Carvalho de Assis
    Nov 12, 2013
      Hi Drasco,

      On 11/12/13, Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@...> wrote:
      >> My former employer company used to develop tracking devices using a
      >> Base Band processor and running their tracking software on that as a
      >> task from original proprietary baseband realtime operating system.
      >> Everytime they found a new BUG it was a nightmare, many weeks/months
      >> to get a fix, sometimes there are not fix at all.
      >
      > Thanks for clarifications. I thought that maybe I overlooked something
      > and there are some BLE modules on the market without the stack inside,
      > thus much cheaper...

      You are welcome! ;-)

      Normally even these cheap CSR BC417 (BT module, not BLE) have
      replaceable firmware:
      http://byron76.blogspot.com.br/2011/09/upgrade-your-bluetooth-module.html

      Others like Broadcom chips (i.e. used on Wiimote) has a firmware on
      ROM but let you to apply patches from an external storage.

      In these case you are right, it is not possible/feasible to replace
      original firmware.

      >> Porting NuttX to run on this microcontroller and getting direct
      >> control over internal BT interface will give you all benefits of NuttX
      >> system.
      >>
      >> I'm not saying it is a easy thing to do, it is not. But adding a BT
      >> stack on NuttX, at least a BLE stack, will open doors to do more thing
      >> with your bluetooth module.
      >
      > Yes, this makes perfect sense... I do not know how NordicSemi nRF51822
      > SW is organized, but I figuret that there is some BT API called from
      > the SW running on Cortex-M0. In that case it should be possible to
      > replace just that part of the SW by NuttX, and have proprietary BT
      > stack. Again, I am totally for FLOSS approach, but am here just
      > discussing possibilities.

      Yes, it could be possible to run NuttX along with original BT stack.

      I know you are a FLOSS guy, I remember you from others mailing list
      (OpenOCD, U-Boot, etc), the open source members always meet in either
      mailing list! :-D

      About the nRF51822, there is a nice breakout board to toy with it:
      http://dangerousprototypes.com/2013/05/19/hackmanhattans-nordic-nrf51822-breakout-board/

      This chip (nRF51822-QFAB-R7) cost about USD$4.11 at Mouser, for
      comparison the Kinetis MKL25Z128VLK4 I'm using in my projects cost
      about USD$4.19.

      BR,

      Alan
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic