4706Re: [nuttx] About Bluetooth Support

  • Alan Carvalho de Assis
    Nov 12, 2013
      Hi Drasko,

      On 11/12/13, Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@...> wrote:
      > Hi Alan,
      >
      > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Alan Carvalho de Assis
      > <acassis@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Hi Drasko,
      >>

      >> On 11/12/13, Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Hi Alan,
      >> > what would exactly be the benefit of having BT stack withing uC
      >> > memory, when with these small uCs most probably BT module with stack
      >> > already integrated will be used.
      >> >
      >> > Or are there BT modules withut stack, that realy on stack implementation
      >> > in
      >> > uC?
      >> >

      >> The benefits of running a stack inside a BT microcontroller are:
      >>
      >> - price: you don't need to buy two microcontroller (main + BT chip) ;
      >> - power consumption: only one microcontroller to use power battery;
      >> - control: having a BT stack inside your micro it is possible to fix
      >> BUGs and add more features.
      >>
      >> There are many more benefits, think about it :-D
      >
      > Yes, this would be true if you could find on a market affordable BT
      > module with antenna and no BT stack. However, I am not aware of any
      > modules of this type. So, they will always come with internal stack,
      > unless you are rolling your own and adding the antena, then doing all
      > the difficulet measurements and certifications somehow... Which is a
      > way more difficult and expensive than developing BT stack.

      You don't need to find a BT module without BT stack, the idea is to
      replace original proprietary stack.

      I think you know enough about free and open source software. If all
      you care about is time-to-market, ok!, stick with proprietary solution
      and don't look back.

      But, if you want to get total control over the microcontroller and get
      all juice this microcontroller can offer, then running NuttX on it
      with an open source stack make sense.

      My former employer company used to develop tracking devices using a
      Base Band processor and running their tracking software on that as a
      task from original proprietary baseband realtime operating system.
      Everytime they found a new BUG it was a nightmare, many weeks/months
      to get a fix, sometimes there are not fix at all.

      >> I think NordicSemi nRF51822 (used on Stick'n'Find) is a good candidate
      >> to run NuttX. It an ARM Cortex M0 with 256KB of flash and 16KB of RAM.
      >
      > AFAIK NordicSemi nRF51822 has already BT stack integrated.

      Yes, but you need to create your application along with their
      proprietary firmware, then your application run like an task of their
      system.

      In this case you need to go with their proprietary solution and forget
      about NuttX.

      Porting NuttX to run on this microcontroller and getting direct
      control over internal BT interface will give you all benefits of NuttX
      system.

      I'm not saying it is a easy thing to do, it is not. But adding a BT
      stack on NuttX, at least a BLE stack, will open doors to do more thing
      with your bluetooth module.

      Best Regards,

      Alan
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic