Cute Story

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      Here is a link to the geocaching forum discussing this

      Thursday, January 20, 2005
      Move over Dora
      By Jennifer Vardy

      Carol Hatfield and her four-year-old daughter Nicole look through some of the treasures they found recently at Melmerby Beach.
      A small toy car, a sewing kit, two balls, a CD, a pencil. It's an odd assortment of treasures, but it's left one little girl delighted and her mother scratching her head.

      The unseasonably warm weather last Friday drew Thorburn resident Carol Hatfield and her four-year-old daughter Nicole to the beach. While there, they decided to pretend they were in Nicole's favourite television show, Dora the Explorer.

      To their surprise, they actually found a treasure. It was a small tupperware container filled with an odd assortment of little items and a notebook filled with strange entries.

      A note scribbled on the inside cover of the little gold book indicates that there were originally 12 rubber balls in the container, but entries written later show that each person who found the box took an item and left something of their own. Now only two of the rubber balls remain.

      The earliest entry dates back to July 22, 2004, and the final entry was from this past October. A few slips of paper the size of business cards have numbers on them that look like co-ordinates, but Hatfield doesn't know what they mean.

      "It's almost like the people knew there was a hunt on, but the dates are so spread out," she said. "I really don't know what to make of it. But it's kind of neat � I've never seen anything like it before."

      The plastic container had broken, leaving the contents of the treasure chest soaked. Hatfield took the items home and carefully dried them out, but she's not sure what to do next with the box.

      "If anybody knows what it is, or what I'm supposed to do with it," Hatfield said. "If it's something I'm supposed to put back and leave for someone else to find, I'd like to know, because I wouldn't want to break the chain."

      As for Nicole, however, she's just excited her dream of being like Dora came true.

      "I like the Dinky and the balls," she said as she played with some of the toys from the chest.