Re: [NUTS] Favorite Caches in 2004

  • Jim Olson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
      TNX Mike for starting this thread...

      As of yesterday, I hit 150 caches found & 102 were found this year, so it might be hard to say which one is my favorite of 2004… Maybe it could be Troll's Revenge where I would have been looking for a while if SOMEONE HADN’T TOLD ME THAT HE WAS SIGNING THE LOG!!! That was great running into The Badge & the Butterfly & their dogs… Or maybe Jessie's hide where I ran into Cache Busters on my 3rd trip around the cache…  Or maybe Philadelphia Freedom where I had a very nice talk with some guy in the window... lol... Or maybe it was BoBoLu's Mini, but not when I found it, but when we went back to help chicoscott find his lost ring… THX again to Bobolu, & Rock, that came to help Scott & I look for THE RING!!!

      Maybe the cache events are my favorite!!!

      Wait!!! Maybe it’s not all about the caches, but maybe it’s about the people!!!

      And as we reach the close of this year, I would like to say that I met some more people, via email only, in Germany that helped me with my most interesting & challenging geocache… Where's In A Name?

      Everyone will just have to check this one out for them self to see why it took 2 months & a few emails to complete this one… Also, someday, I would like go to Germany & met them also…

      And I would like to say Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year of caching to everyone!!!

      TNX for being part of my life…

      ka6aru (Jim)

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
        Hmmm...favorite caches?

        There were quite a few caches we found (and didn't) this year. Including
        many new types for us.

        Some very interesting hides by cacher Goblindust in Vancouver, Washington
        (think Buster1 with a freekier avatar).

        Did some travelling, and caching made it tolerable.

        Took some interesting hikes locally with Julie and the 2 dogs.

        Lots of new local caches when we got some new blood in the NUTS area (thank
        you all).

        Several caches I love to hate with multiple DNFs from me (grrrrrr).

        Several event caches where I met new and returning friends.

        Had fun with some different hides I placed this year...1st multi, webcam,
        mystery, etc (and a few I archived).

        Joined the NUTS mailing list...read some great posts, posted some notes.
        Made people think. People made me think.

        Overall, to quote Robbie Williams, "It Was A Very Good Year".

        Looking forward to seeing what 2005 has in store for geocaching, both
        locally to globally.

        Be safe, everyone :)
        Happy Holidays!
        Ed (and Julie) Nelson
        The Badge & the Butterfly

        > It is getting near the end of the year, I thought it might be fun if
        > everyone posted there favorite caches of the past year.
        > Mike
        >

        > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Keith and Debbie
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 24, 2004
          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, <nelson143@s...> wrote:
          > Hmmm...favorite caches?
          >
          > There were quite a few caches we found (and didn't) this year.
          Including
          > many new types for us.
          >
          > Some very interesting hides by cacher Goblindust in Vancouver,
          Washington
          > (think Buster1 with a freekier avatar).
          >
          > Did some travelling, and caching made it tolerable.
          >
          > Took some interesting hikes locally with Julie and the 2 dogs.
          >
          > Lots of new local caches when we got some new blood in the NUTS
          area (thank
          > you all).
          >
          > Several caches I love to hate with multiple DNFs from me (grrrrrr).
          >
          > Several event caches where I met new and returning friends.
          >
          > Had fun with some different hides I placed this year...1st multi,
          webcam,
          > mystery, etc (and a few I archived).
          >
          > Joined the NUTS mailing list...read some great posts, posted some
          notes.
          > Made people think. People made me think.
          >
          > Overall, to quote Robbie Williams, "It Was A Very Good Year".
          >
          > Looking forward to seeing what 2005 has in store for geocaching,
          both
          > locally to globally.
          >
          > Be safe, everyone :)
          > Happy Holidays!
          > Ed (and Julie) Nelson
          > The Badge & the Butterfly

          everyone of the caches we have come across. Thanks you to all and
          keep up the good work.

        • Donald Liddiard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
            We had a tough time with this, there were so many great caches this past year. It was interesting to note that in thinking about our various hunts, the things that stood out that made certain caches special were... the people we encountered, the experience of the hunt, or the quality of the hide. That said, our favorites are: first and foremost were the events... NUTS, RCGDS, GBES... it truly is about the great people in this sport! The GBES Navigational Rally by Drofrockology and crew was an amazingly fun and challenging series of caches and terrific group of people. For experience on the hunt, Beach Walk #1 by Berliner was a blast as we met the great Berliner, prolific hider of micros on the Oregon Coast (last we checked he had about 65 micros and had found only 100+). Also for experience, SOS...SOS..SOS by Tigger2 was pretty exciting even though it was just a virtual, we did it in gale force winds at the height of a severe winter storm and almost couldn't get the car doors open... or closed! Quality caches with incredible scenery, were many but our favorite was Smithers First by Hart & Nell in British Columbia, which was a hike to a pair of twin falls Crystal also wants to add Feather Falls CITO by Firedawn as a memorable cache with beautiful views. Our Alaska hunts... all of them... were spectacularly beautiful and intense... we constantly anticipated a run in with a bear or moose. Closer to home Hans Bricker by Badge and Butterfly and Uniontown Cemetery by old hippy and Granny, and just about anything by Buster1 (except for Steak on the Run, but we don't talk about that), and Hook, Line and...?(we didn't get there) by Escapades was fast becoming a favorite until it was archived :o(  all made for great hides. And there were a lot more... to many to mention... that were superlative in quality of hide, the experience, and people encountered! What a great enhancement to our life experience. Thanks for asking!! Happy New Year, Rock&Crystal

            It is getting near the end of the year, I thought it might be fun if
            everyone posted there favorite caches of the past year.
            Mike

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/DLTolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jenn Oates
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
              If you think last year's GBES rally was good, wait
              until THIS year!

              It's going to be even better.

              /shameless hustling of event