Re: [NUTS] Cache Approval

  • Donald Liddiard
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
      Truly a man of many words. :o)

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Escapades
      Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 1:44 PM
      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NUTS] Cache Approval

      I agree with R&C.
      Mike

      Donald Liddiard <redhawk6611@...> wrote:
      That's a really good question. I have a slightly different slant on it though. We have had to move a cache or two for various reasons... (I don't believe anyone has relogged them). The concern I have is if you allow yourself two finds for the same cache then that kind of goes against the spirit of the hunt. And what does "move" mean? If it's five feet away from it's original coordinates? ten feet? one hundred feet? a mile? you get the picture. The general rule has been, one cache, one find per team. Exceptions to that can be found in locationless caches such as Dash for the Cache, which has different "targets" at different times, and traveling caches such as "ET".  Perhaps the best thing to do if a cache needs to be moved out of necessity... maybe rename it with a II or III or? (ie: "Night Eyes" moved becomes "Night Eyes II") Then you could log them both... however the owner would need to do more than correct coordinates... they would need to do another cache page and archive the old one. You might want to submit the question to Hemlock or geocaching administration for their input. So... if it's decided to go for logging twice on moved caches... we want to know! We got some serious logging to do!! :o) R&C

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
        I sent him a note for you earlier today. He's not MIA... we saw him with Santa last night... REALLY! And like Santa "he knows what you been thinking... he knows if you've been bad or good.. " etc. lol :o)  I'll let you know as soon as I hear. I think if you email geocaching administration (not sure but I think it's at the bottom of one of the site pages) they will refer to Hemlock if you mention northern CA.

        How do I ask Hemlock? I hear he's MIA..... Is he listed in the NUTS club and does he get these E-mails??
        That's a really good question. I have a slightly different slant on it though. We have had to move a cache or two for various reasons... (I don't believe anyone has relogged them). The concern I have is if you allow yourself two finds for the same cache then that kind of goes against the spirit of the hunt. And what does "move" mean? If it's five feet away from it's original coordinates? ten feet? one hundred feet? a mile? you get the picture. The general rule has been, one cache, one find per team. Exceptions to that can be found in locationless caches such as Dash for the Cache, which has different "targets" at different times, and traveling caches such as "ET".  Perhaps the best thing to do if a cache needs to be moved out of necessity... maybe rename it with a II or III or? (ie: "Night Eyes" moved becomes "Night Eyes II") Then you could log them both... however the owner would need to do more than correct coordinates... they would need to do another cache page and archive the old one. You might want to submit the question to Hemlock or geocaching administration for their input. So... if it's decided to go for logging twice on moved caches... we want to know! We got some serious logging to do!! :o) R&C

        I was thinking the same thing, because I have found 'The Chico Bug Motel' & Jessie's Hide, & they both have been moved...
        I would say yes, but that's just be.. Maybe will get some more input on this...
        TNX, Jim
        I have a question on moving caches... I went out to the 'The Chico Bug Motel'  to get a TB to take with me to Baltimore ( I asked permission and it was granted) and  I found the cache was recently moved to a new location (several miles from the first location) In the past I had logged this cache as a find.

         My question is if you find a cache and later that cache is moved to another location does it count as 2 finds?  By the way, it is in a very safe location now.

        Jackrat
        >Does anyone know whether or not Hemlock is currently on vacation?

      • Gary Collum
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
          Hemlock is definately still around !!!!! For 5 years, he was the only one doing northern CA. He now has an assistant who goes by the name of "KRYPTON" . Anyway, contact "HEMLOCK" and he'll get back to you.....Gary  RCGDS/N.U.T.S.

          emsdawn21 <emsdawn21@...> wrote:

          Hemlock is still hanging around. Either that or I was talking to a
          doublicate last night at the RCGDS event.  I would e-mail him....he
          usually tends to get back within 1 week. BTW....I also agree with
          R&C....and not just because they have an incredably cute kid! Hi
          Pebble!

          FireDawn

          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "Pat or Bert Hall" <bnphall@n...>
          wrote:
          > Hemlock's whereabouts seems unknown, but if you submit a
          rediculous cache and someone who has the answer will reply.

          of Service.

          Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • JeoMc5@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
            RE Hemlock; For 5 years, he was the only one doing northern CA.

            "Me thinks Buster has been recruited into the geocaching history department :P
            Jeo"
          • Warren Harding
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
              I saw him last night looking for a geocache on a crowded dance floor in West
              Sacramento.
              47Dad47

            • Huntnlady
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                L'il Devil is not Hemlock, and Hemlock is most decidedly not a he.
                I have my sources

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                  I think I sighted her in Macy's this afternoon.
                  47Dad47

                • George
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 16, 2004
                    If you look at the entry that initiated this thread and follow its
                    evolution, does it seem to you to be working toward justify the
                    "logic" of the statement, "you can't get there from here"?