Re: [NUTS] Looking for Best Power Trail in Nor Cal

  • Anthony Guzzi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2012
      On 1/22/2012 6:20 PM, TeamOrville wrote:
      > My Husband and I would like to do a power trail but don't know which
      > one. Which one do you consider to be the best? In Nor Cal.

      I have a series of 10 that are on a trail up in Chico, but you'll be
      disappointed when it only takes you a half hour to do them since they're
      aimed at kids and newbies.

      I suppose it depends on how many you want to do. 50, 100, 1000?

      I see a smaller trail near the north-west corner of Lake Tahoe and
      another one directly west of it, there's also a few medium sized trails
      in Sacramento and a few in West Sacramento. I see several nice trails
      around Los Padres National Forest. (GC2RGHP)

      I think the best one that I've seen in the last 15 minutes in California
      is along the old Route 66, in Barstow, starting with (GC3A86V)

      Then there's also the ET series in Nevada, it has 1500 (GC32BFZ), but
      that might take you a while.

      If you don't want to go far, I think the ones in Sac and West Sac are
      your best choice.

      -A
    • leianne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2012
        I was just at a caching event last night in reno. One of the cachers told me of his plans to put a power trail of about 100 caches in the Sierra valley which is just east of Portola. He plans to start putting them out on Feb 29th.
        There is a really awesome  power trail called blackwood canyon which is at the northwest part of lake tahoe. Due to the snow finally arriving it wont be attainable until summer. If you plan on visiting tahoe during the summer months its well worth the trip and the time.
        Happy caching,
        Leianne (portolahiker)

      • cathy@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2012
          Sandi....LOL how did I know??? I have done the 66 and its a HUGE
          undertaking and you really need 4 people to do it right. Get the map open
          and just scroll around and you will see some of the power runs listed.
          There are a few over by the 66 actually. I have asked the question as to
          what makes a run a power run and I was told over 250 caches is considered
          a power run by some of the BIG names in Caching so just depends on where
          you want to travel and how many you want to do. You know the ET would be
          fun to do in stages... 1500 plus the space ship and the head (Ive done the
          head) is a lot to do in a few days... dont want to get cached out.... let
          me know when you find one if I can go I will. I love power runs and have
          experience!
          Cathy

          > I was just at a caching event last night in reno. One of the cachers told
          > me of his plans to put a power trail of about 100 caches in the Sierra
          > valley which is just east of Portola. He plans to start putting them out
          > on Feb 29th.
          > There is a really awesome  power trail called blackwood canyon which is
          > at the northwest part of lake tahoe. Due to the snow finally arriving it
          > wont be attainable until summer. If you plan on visiting tahoe during the
          > summer months its well worth the trip and the time.
          > Happy caching,
          > Leianne (portolahiker)

        • Lewis Goodrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2012
            Lew and I are working on a Superbowl Series of puzzles in Rancho Cordova and hope to make a caching run there soon.  Look up Voodoo Crew in that area.

            Sandi....LOL how did I know??? I have done the 66 and its a HUGE
            undertaking and you really need 4 people to do it right. Get the map open
            and just scroll around and you will see some of the power runs listed.
            There are a few over by the 66 actually. I have asked the question as to
            what makes a run a power run and I was told over 250 caches is considered
            a power run by some of the BIG names in Caching so just depends on where
            you want to travel and how many you want to do. You know the ET would be
            fun to do in stages... 1500 plus the space ship and the head (Ive done the
            head) is a lot to do in a few days... dont want to get cached out.... let
            me know when you find one if I can go I will. I love power runs and have
            experience!
            Cathy

            > I was just at a caching event last
            night in reno. One of the cachers told
            > me of his plans to put a power
            trail of about 100 caches in the Sierra
            > valley which is just east of
            Portola. He plans to start putting them out
            > on Feb 29th.
            > There
            is a really awesome  power trail called blackwood canyon which is

            at the northwest part of lake tahoe. Due to the snow finally arriving it

            wont be attainable until summer. If you plan on visiting tahoe during the
            > summer months its well worth the trip and the time.
            > Happy
            caching,
            > Leianne (portolahiker)

            Guzzi <mailto:dukeofurl%40sonic.net>

            >> My Husband and I would like to do a power
            trail but don't know which
            >> one. Which one do you consider to be the
            best? In Nor Cal.

            > I have a series of 10 that are on a trail up
            in Chico, but you'll be
            > disappointed when it only takes you a half hour
            to do them since they're
            > aimed at kids and newbies.

            suppose it depends on how many you want to do. 50, 100, 1000?

            see a smaller trail near the north-west corner of Lake Tahoe and
            > another
            one directly west of it, there's also a few medium sized trails
            > in
            Sacramento and a few in West Sacramento. I see several nice trails

            around Los Padres National Forest. (GC2RGHP)

            > I think the best
            one that I've seen in the last 15 minutes in California
            > is along the old
            Route 66, in Barstow, starting with (GC3A86V)

            > Then there's also
            the ET series in Nevada, it has 1500 (GC32BFZ), but
            > that might take you
            a while.

            > If you don't want to go far, I think the ones in Sac
            and West Sac are
            > your best choice.

            -A