Re: [NUTS] Looking for a new GPSr

  • thrak@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
      I got the 78S and I love it. Some prefer the profile of the 62s. Should be the same innards. Holds a bunch - around 5,000 I believe - of waypoints. Does full paperless caching.

      On 7/17/2011 8:58 PM, Jim wrote:

      I think it's about time that I upgrade my GPS unit... This is only my 3rd GPSr since 1997... I want a Garmin but I want something that will hold more waypoints than I have now... I have the Garmin eTrex Legend & I upload 1000 waypoints but it's never enough... Any ideas?
      TNX, Jim

    • thrak@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
        The 60CSx will still limit you to 1000 waypoints. It's the same guts as the 76CSx I had. Seriously, if you want one that looks like the 60CSx (which was an EXCELLENT unit) take a look at the new 62S. Same form factor. Top of the line Garmin handheld for geocaching. Fully paperless and 5,000 waypoints.

        Check out reviews and such online - written reviews and video reviews on youtube.

        On 7/17/2011 9:02 PM, Sandi MacDougall wrote:

        I am going to get a 60csx.  That is what my husband has. When there was a car load of us caching in the redwoods a couple weeks ago his was the only one that never lost a signal.

        Sandi

        Get a  iphone

        --
        Sandi
        www.girlscoutsmendo.org

      • Jim Olson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011

          Cool & TNX Thrak…

          I’m looking at them right now… But it looks like they only do 2000 waypoints…

          Jim

          Check out my web site:

          www.VoiceoverByJim.com

          or

          www.VoiceoverJim.com

          Also please visit Voiceover By Jim Facebook Fan page

          Linked-In What’s this?  http://www.linkedin.com/in/voiceoverbyjim

        • Scott Forde
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
            I have a Garmin 62s - it has the ability to have 5000 geocaches plus another 2000 waypoints in the unit at the same time. They are treated separately with the 5000 having the cache descriptions where the normal waypoints are just the coords.  Also you can also use POI for caches - then you are almost unlimited for the number of caches in the GPS. I have almost the entire active  caches in California in my Garmin 62s as POI along with 4000 caches with descriptions in the GPS if I have a particular spot that I am going. I also have an iPhone but it's not the same - need something waterproof and drop proof and my iPhone isn't.

            Scott
            -40-

            Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
                Thank you all for your input & now all I have to do is make up my mind... I'm looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 60Sx or the Garmin Oregon 450 or the Garmin GPSMAP 78S... I think I'll sleep on it & buy one in the morning...
                TNX again...
                Jim
              • Jim Olson