Re: [NUTS] What to do?

  • Jef Spencer
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 24, 2010
      I am with Huntnlady.  It would be great to see it go back into the activity somehow.  Maybe a sponsorship for the the next GeoWoodstock?

      Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

      Profile for SNSpencer
      Want to see what I can do? Check out my Etsy Account!!

      If you do not wish to receive any future DIRECT emails from Jef simply reply to this message to let me know.  This does not apply to mailserv lists that you may subscribe to.

      From: blucruzfamily <gsmcelroy@...>
      Subject: [NUTS] What to do?
      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 6:45 PM

      Hi all and happy Holidays!

      As you may or may not know we have over $1300.00 in the NUTS bank account and it's been sitting there for over a year. Since we have had no expenses in all of 2010 I am requesting help from all registered N.U.T.S. as to what to do with some of this money.
      I'd like to propose that we donate $1000.00 of our current savings to some worthy causes this holiday season. Angel Trees, Food Banks, Homeless shelters, etc.
      What I need from you is feedback. This message board has been very quiet most of this last year and I'd like to see it lit up with suggestions as to what to do. Please if you have something to say in favor or opposed to this idea then please speak up.
      I would like to make a decision as to what we want to do by December 8th. That's two weeks from today. A poll my also be in order but before we do a poll I'd like to have some suggestions from other NUTS.

      Happy Thanksgiving
      Gary (Blucruz) McElroy

    • Tim Vigus
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 24, 2010
        I agree, maybe buying some basic model GPS and donanting them to organizations that promote Geocaching like Boy and Girl Scouts organizations. Maybe have them centrally located so differn't organizations can rent them or borrow them.

        Tim (wildfiretv)

      • bnbschneider2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 24, 2010
          I am sure there is a lot of children in the area that sure could use some new school cloths .my wife and I were in walmart yesterday and took a card of the wish  tree for a 11 year old that wanted some clothes for xmas,and bought him pants shirt and coat ,the wish tree works  this young boy was asking for clothes NOT toys.

        • jerryw38@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 24, 2010

            How about donating some units to boy and scout troops in the area. I think that they now have a merit badge that uses GPS units????

            jerryw38

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 24, 2010
              I have maybe some Lowrances that are still good and just laying around.

              Believe in what you see and know, not what you hear.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 25, 2010
                3/4 to food bank (I know how hard they are hurting since I am on the board of one here in Grants Pass) and 1/4 to something like Angel Trees would be my vote

                Cliff Meyer (Turner and Stitch)

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 25, 2010
                  I am active with a local Reno scout troop. Yes, there is a new merit badge out there that is geocaching.  It's an amazing way to get families involved.  However, I have found, it is an expensive merit badge to try to complete if you don't own a GPS or know someone who does.

                  Rather then donate GPS's to one troop I would check with your area council and see if you could donate them there.  Individual troops could then check them out from scout headquarters and put down a deposit.  If you donated more then one GPS the troop could actually check out more then one.  (You ever try to get 15 kids to share one item?)

                  Whatever you decide to do with your funds, what a great idea giving back to the community!

                  Michelle - Moonchaser

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 25, 2010

                    I had the same thought as Michelle, that it would be better to donate GPS's to the local council that way many troops could use them.

                    Alisa

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 29, 2010
                      > I had the same thought as Michelle, that it would be better to donate GPS's to
                      > the local council that way many troops could use them.

                      I agree with that sentiment, we want as many people using them as possible.

                      At the same time, I think the money could be used to buy several lesser units,
                      such as the Gecko to make the money stretch as much as it can.
                    • jerryw38@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 29, 2010

                        What about the geomate.jr    Already has all of the caches installed  Really easy to use and very accurate

                      • thrak@pacbell.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 29, 2010
                          I'm all in favor of helping organizations by donating items such as the geomate.jr but....... I'm also in favor of a major N.U.T.S. event. It's been far too long since there was a major get together. We could be generous with others AND with ourselves as well. A big Christmas meet might be good. I can remember a nice event in Oroville one Christmas. Just my 2¢ worth.

                          On 11/29/2010 8:53 PM, jerryw38@... wrote:

                          What about the geomate.jr    Already has all of the caches installed  Really easy to use and very accurate

                          > I had the same thought as Michelle, that it would be better to donate GPS's to
                          > the local council that way many troops could use them.

                          I agree with that sentiment, we want as many people using them as possible.

                          At the same time, I think the money could be used to buy several lesser units,
                          such as the Gecko to make the money stretch as much as it can.

                        • Paul Bryant
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 29, 2010
                            For whatever type of GPSr is or maybe donated, the Boy Scout's Geocaching merit badge requires the scout to mark a waypoint, compare the accuracy of WGS84 and UTM coordinates systems, and to set up a course that makes use of at least 4 waypoints.  The Geomate.jr. only allows for one waypoint, based on the specifications.

                            I am a Geocaching merit bade counselor and I am working with my first group of scouts.  Between the three GPSrs that I own, and a few others that are owned by other family members, we haven't been lacking for GPSrs.  Our unit may be unique, but I wouldn't count on that.

                            Paul (Twiddleflip)

                            I'm all in favor of helping organizations by donating items such as others AND with the geomate.jr but....... I'm also in favor of a major N.U.T.S. event. It's been far too long since there was a major get together. We could be generous with ourselves as well. A big Christmas meet might be good. I can remember a nice event in Oroville one Christmas. Just my 2¢ worth.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 30, 2010
                              The fact that several of your families have a GPS device that can mark way-points does make you troop unique, at least, compared to where I am from.  With the array of iphones and other cell phones that have GPS capability it is amazing how few people know that much about geocaching.  For many people it's more of a directional tool for locating a restaurant or business, basic driving directions. As we all know, there is so much more to geocaching then just driving to a cache site.

                              Any donation, NUTS decides to make would of course be a charitable one.  We all belong to groups that do food drives, donate gifts and clean parks etc. The problem is that these types of donations are either consumable or short lasting.  While I realize there is yet a GPS out there that is "timeless" what an awesome way to promote/encourage participation in the very sport that is the core reason this group and many others like it exist,

                              Michelle - Moonchaser

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 30, 2010

                                Paul  u need to familiarize urself with the JR. U can skip past the closest way points.  Really a neat learning tool about caching

                                jerryw38

                                The fact that several of your families have a GPS device that can mark way-points does make you troop unique, at least, compared to where I am from.  With the array of iphones and other cell phones that have GPS capability it is amazing how few people know that much about geocaching.  For many people it's more of a directional tool for locating a restaurant or business, basic driving directions. As we all know, there is so much more to geocaching then just driving to a cache site.

                                Any donation, NUTS decides to make would of course be a charitable one.  We all belong to groups that do food drives, donate gifts and clean parks etc. The problem is that these types of donations are either consumable or short lasting.  While I realize there is yet a GPS out there that is "timeless" what an awesome way to promote/encourage participation in the very sport that is the core reason this group and many others like it exist,

                                Michelle - Moonchaser

                                For whatever type of GPSr is or maybe donated, the Boy Scout's Geocaching merit badge requires the scout to mark a waypoint, compare the accuracy of WGS84 and UTM coordinates systems, and to set up a course that makes use of at least 4 waypoints.  The Geomate.jr. only allows for one waypoint, based on the specifications.

                                I am a Geocaching merit bade counselor and I am working with my first group of scouts.  Between the three GPSrs that I own, and a few others that are owned by other family members, we haven't been lacking for GPSrs.  Our unit may be unique, but I wouldn't count on that.

                                Paul (Twiddleflip)

                                I'm all in favor of helping organizations by donating items such as others AND with the geomate.jr but....... I'm also in favor of a major N.U.T.S. event. It's been far too long since there was a major get together. We could be generous with ourselves as well. A big Christmas meet might be good. I can remember a nice event in Oroville one Christmas. Just my 2¢ worth.

                                On 11/29/2010 8:53 PM, jerryw38@... wrote:

                                What about the geomate.jr    Already has all of the caches installed  Really easy to use and very accurate

                                > I had the same thought as Michelle, that it would be better to donate GPS's to
                                > the local council that way many troops could use them.

                                I agree with that sentiment, we want as many people using them as possible.

                                At the same time, I think the money could be used to buy several lesser units,
                                such as the Gecko to make the money stretch as much as it can.

                              • Tamala Gilliland
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 30, 2010
                                  I'm active in the BSA if you need help with that.  I am an adult leader in the Soaring Eagle district which serves Elk Grove, Galt, Wilton, Clarksburg and South Sac however, I have a lot of contacts in other Sacramento districts too and the Golden Empire Council which oversees our 15 districts.

                                  Let me know if you'd like help.

                                  Yours In Scouting,
                                  Tamala Gilliland
                                  cacher breezee510

                                  On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Anthony Guzzi <dukeofurl@...> wrote:

                                  > I had the same thought as Michelle, that it would be better to donate GPS's to
                                  > the local council that way many troops could use them.

                                  I agree with that sentiment, we want as many people using them as possible.

                                  At the same time, I think the money could be used to buy several lesser units,
                                  such as the Gecko to make the money stretch as much as it can.

                                • Gary McElroy
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                                    Well after a week and with responses from only 12 people I'm a little miffed as to why there wasn't more input on this topic. I really would have liked to have done something to make the Holidays a bit better for some less fortunate but with the lack of response I am going to table it for now.
                                    I will comment on the talk about donating gps units to scouting councils though. Based on my past experience as being a Scouting Father for the last 15 years, I would not donate anything to a Council, Boy or Girl Scout. Councils, at least in this area seem to forget about the kids with their corporate mentality. I have seen donations in the form of equipment and supplies go to waste in storage before the council would let the kids have at it.  I would be more than happy to donate to established individual troops but I would not donate to the council as a whole.
                                    I do like Thrak's Idea of having a gathering and therefore there will be  a NUTS Event in early January in Chico or Oroville somewhere so watch for it.
                                    Anyhow we will decide at the event what we will do with whatever is left after the event.
                                    Gary (Blucruz)

                                  • thrak@pacbell.net
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                                      Gary,

                                      If you are thinking of helping a family at Christmas or something of that sort, I've seen that done before. What boggled me is that I work for a state "do gooder" organization. The clerical staff (and myself) came up with everything from a computer to bicycles for the family. (I put together a computer system for the family. Not the latest and greatest but better than the system my wife and I used for college not that long ago.) I literally had a pickup load of stuff and when we dropped it off the guy who was collecting stuff for the families was totally blown away. The "boggled" part is that the counseling staff - who make MUCH more money than the clerical folks - gave exactly ZERO. They were great with giving away our tax money but, when it came to their own money, none of it was forthcoming. Go figure.

                                      Ok - mini rant over. If you are trying to get something of that sort together perhaps we could donate toward the effort. Perhaps some of the cash to buy a few things but mostly the N.U.T.S. could maybe donate to a stash of items. There are giving trees or whatever where you can adopt a family and there's a list of what they need/want/wish for. I don't know how this would be done - you've likely noticed over the past 6 years or so that I'm not an organizer type. I'm just wondering if this is the sort of thing you were angling toward and it wasn't picked up on by our group.

                                        Message 20 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                                          How about donating to local soup kitchens and really help a lot of people who are a little down and out?

                                          Message 21 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010

                                            I agree about maybe not scouts. I come from girl scout background and same experiences.

                                            Message 22 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010

                                              It's not too late to Adopt A Family!
                                              Or several!

                                              Message 23 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010

                                                I'm a merit badge councilor for the geocaching merit badge (although I haven't had anyone call me yet). For the boys to actually earn the badge, an official councilor would need to be present to sign off the requirement cards.

                                                The BSA is not final with the geocaching badge's handbook, although the requirements are available online. Scouts can do the requirements (although they should wait until the BSA makes it official), but they cannot actually receive until the badge is added to the advancement system.

                                                Here are the requirements:

                                                http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/04/official-geocaching-merit-badge-requirements-released.html

                                                It's actually a pretty involved badge with lots of requirements.

                                                Ed (of Ed & Julie)

                                                Message 24 of 26 , Dec 4, 2010
                                                  I'm teaching the Geocaching Merit badge on 2/26/11 and found the requirements at:

                                                  I would welcome any help to teach two classes of about 15-20 scouts each of the sessions on that day if any one would like to do so.  It'll be at the First Baptist church at 8939 E.Stockton Blvd in Elk Grove.

                                                  Tamala Gilliland
                                                  cacher breezee510
                                                  916 628-3512