Re: [NUTS] Garmin Chirp

  • thrak
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
      Yep. It needs to be a unit that can wirelessly send and receive info to and from other units. Otherwise it can't connect with the Chirp.

      The Chirp sounds interesting to me but, for most caches, there would need to be other ways of getting the info so that folks with older units could still find the cache. It would be really useful for a stage of a multi-cache as you could either find the hide with the next stage coordinates inside or else get close enough to electronically receive the info on a newer unit.

      It could also broadcast info such as the combination to a lock that secures a cache but, again, you'd need an alternate method of getting that info so as not to preclude finds by folks without wireless capability on their GPS.

      On 11/16/2010 11:05 PM, Jellis wrote:
      The 62s and the 62st but not the 62. It's not a wireless unit.

      Believe in what you see and know, not what you hear.

      On Nov 16, 2010, at 11:02 PM, "Anthony Guzzi" <dukeofurl@...> wrote:

      A thread I'm reading on the GC forum says that it IS compatible with the 62,
      which would make sense, since it's a brand new unit.

    • thrak@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2010
        I had to work in Roseville today so I stopped at REI and picked up a Chirp. I experimented with it in my yard and it seemed to work quite well. The NAME filed is limited to very few characters - I think it was truncated at 9 characters when I tried a longer name. I used 25 characters in the NOTE section and had some space left over. I'd guess it holds 30 characters for the note.  I entered the info into my 78s and then simply sent it wirelessly to the Chirp. I turned off Chirp mode on my GPS and put the Chirp in the fork of a tree in my front yard. I went back inside and turned on Chirp mode on the GPS, went to the map screen (as I wasn't actually searching for a cache or anything) and wandered out the front door. I was maybe 30 - 40 feet away from the place I had put the Chirp when my GPS switched to a new screen and said it had made contact with a Chirp and started downloading info. Pretty cool. I hit "GO" and selected "OFF ROAD" (I had a choice of OK or GO and a choice of OFF ROAD, ON ROAD FOR TIME, or ON ROAD FOR DISTANCE - standard choices for my unit). I followed the arrow around the house to the back yard and, naturally, ended up exactly where I had made the original way point.

        I really ought to get off my duff and place a new cache. Since there are likely a very small (so far) number of folks locally who have a Chirp capable device, I could use it to send coordinates to an ancillary hide such as an unactivated geocoin or something as a prize for the first Chirp capable cacher to look for the geocache. If you are actively searching for a cache and a Chirp is detected it will go into your unit as the Next Stage of a multi whether you were actually looking for a multi or not. You can continue to search for your current cache and have the Next Stage available for afterward. Of course if you ARE looking for a multi it works quite well for that purpose as well.

        I don't have an iPhone but I know a lot of people do have them and use them for geocaching. I'm hoping someone writes an iPhone app for the Chirp soon. It's an ANT thing so it should be something that can be done fairly easily by those who have that skill set. There's a new "beacon" icon available for caches that use a Chirp. If you hide a cache that REQUIRES a Chirp enabled device it has to be listed as a Mystery (a Question Mark Cache  ;-) ) and have the Beacon icon enabled. Otherwise, it won't be approved. If this thing becomes widely accepted that might work in this area but, at this time, I think it would be pretty restrictive as far as the number of people who could find the cache.

        This is the new beacon icon:  which could also be used for other types of caches such as those with wireless access points. I know that some people are using them in their cars mobile travel bugs. You can snag the bug as you travel down the road or find it easier in the parking lot at an event.

        Groundspeak has this to say about using the Chirp. (The icon HAS been added)
        1. A new attribute for a “beacon” will be added soon. Any caches that use a Chirp (or any future similar device) should use this attribute.
        2. If a cache owner puts a beacon in a traditional cache and geocachers have an alternative method to find it without using the beacon, then OK. I remind you to use the coming attribute.
        3. If the cache owner insists on not providing an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as a mystery with the beacon attribute.
        4. Cache descriptions may mention the “Chirp” as long as the text doesn’t go on and on with “overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion” as per our long-standing commercial guidelines.
        5. We do not plan to add a new cache type just for this.
        NOTE: I just ran a pocket query based on the BEACON icon and only found 9 caches within 500 miles of my home coordinates in Chico. The caches returned by the search were:

        Total Records: 9 - Page: 1 of 1 - < Prev   <<   <[1]>   >>   Next >

        Direction and Distance Found
It Icons (D/T) Placed Description Last Found Send to
GPS

        SS
        104.1mi

        Traditional Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (1/1.5)
        Size: Small
        29 Aug 09 Steel Magnolia by Team Luvbassn (GC1XYBX)
        California
        7 days ago*
        Send
to GPS

        SS
        124.5mi

        Unknown Cache Travel
Bug Dog Tag (4 item(s)) Premium
Member Only Cache (4.5/2)
        Size: Regular
        29 Aug 10 A Rare Bird by jellis (GC2E8RQ)
        California
        25 Oct 10
        Send
to GPS

        NWNW
        142.4mi

        Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (2.5/1)
        Size: Not chosen
        7 Nov 10 Drum Signal by BRUHN (GC2HYYN)
        California
        7 days ago*
        Send
to GPS

        SS
        168.3mi

        Unknown Cache (2/1.5)
        Size: Not chosen
        8 Nov 10 A little birdie told me... by The North Star (GC2HQA4)
        California
        Today*
        Send
to GPS

        NN
        307.9mi

        Unknown Cache Geocoins: Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug (1), GeoGem
(1), City of Canby 2009 Geocoin (1) Premium
Member Only Cache (4.5/2)
        Size: Small
        31 Oct 10 Outskirts by elkjim (GC2HKDG)
        Oregon
        4 days ago*
        Send
to GPS

        SESE
        429.1mi

        Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (3.5/2)
        Size: Not chosen
        24 Oct 10 Las Vegas' First CHIRP by Clay4 (GC2H8PR)
        Nevada
        08 Nov 10
        Send
to GPS

        SESE
        431.2mi

        Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (2/2)
        Size: Small
        30 Oct 10 Another Chirp by Landnavmaster (GC2HH03)
        Nevada
        08 Nov 10
        Send
to GPS

        SESE
        433.1mi

        Traditional Cache Travel
Bug Dog Tag (1 item) Atlantic Canada Souwester Geocoin (1 item(s)) (2.5/3)
        Size: Regular
        11 Nov 07 Temescal Waterfall by Sond813 (GC17B73)
        California
        06 Nov 10
        Send
to GPS

        SESE
        454.7mi

        Unknown Cache YemonYime v3 Geocoin (1 item(s)) (5/1)
        Size: Regular
        31 Oct 10 Brady's Bug by G&C (GC2HQPZ)
        California

        Send