Re: [NUTS] Re: Facebook RCGDS Fan Page

  • Mac
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
      Not going to do it either.  ~Mac

      --- On Mon, 11/15/10, thrak@... <thrak@...> wrote:

      From: thrak@... <thrak@...>
      Subject: Re: [NUTS] Re: Facebook RCGDS Fan Page
      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 15, 2010, 5:33 PM

      Bleh. Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it.

      On 11/15/2010 9:49 AM, Janet wrote:

      I'm all for it. This site I am not getting all the update postings. I get one here or there but it is harder to navigate through here as it would be for Facebook. Plus you could get more input. Please let me know if you do it and I will add it to my list.

      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:

      > I was contemplating starting a RCGDS fan page on Facebook but I wanted to get
      > the group's permission first.  There are many of us that are already on FB
      > every day and I think that there would be many potential benefits to a page that
      > we could all tune into and participate on.  (I would also need a couple of you
      > who would be willing to Co-Administer the page, minimal commitment)
      >
      > Things that I could see the page useful for.
      > Posting experiences on awesome caches. (Cache recommendations)
      > Caching collaboration and excursions.
      > Update on new event postings for those who don't get notifications or don't
      > utilize "premium" member features.
      > Awareness of other Non-Geocaching events that can impact or supplement the
      > Geocaching experience.
      > Posting of invites to geocaching events outside of the RCGDS.
      > Bring attention to updates in the RCGDS website forums.
      > Help new area geocachers find us.
      > Geocaching advice, tip and tricks and constructive criticism.
      > Maybe a FAQ section in the Discussions section.
      > And much much more!!
      >
      > What the page would not be used for:
      > Player or Cache bashing!!
      > A political playground for personal agenda pushing. (either real world or
      > caching)
      > Blatently offensive material. (Use common sense here)
      >
      > Let me know what everyone thinks.  And worst case scenerio, I could start the
      > page and if it falls apart or gets out of hand it can be deleted very easily.
      >
      > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

    • Gary Kemp
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
        I will

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 16, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Mac <macinyugo-macinyugo@...> wrote:

        Not going to do it either.  ~Mac

        Bleh. Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it.

        On 11/15/2010 9:49 AM, Janet wrote:

        I'm all for it. This site I am not getting all the update postings. I get one here or there but it is harder to navigate through here as it would be for Facebook. Plus you could get more input. Please let me know if you do it and I will add it to my list.

        --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:

        > I was contemplating starting a RCGDS fan page on Facebook but I wanted to get
        > the group's permission first.  There are many of us that are already on FB
        > every day and I think that there would be many potential benefits to a page that
        > we could all tune into and participate on.  (I would also need a couple of you
        > who would be willing to Co-Administer the page, minimal commitment)
        >
        > Things that I could see the page useful for.
        > Posting experiences on awesome caches. (Cache recommendations)
        > Caching collaboration and excursions.
        > Update on new event postings for those who don't get notifications or don't
        > utilize "premium" member features.
        > Awareness of other Non-Geocaching events that can impact or supplement the
        > Geocaching experience.
        > Posting of invites to geocaching events outside of the RCGDS.
        > Bring attention to updates in the RCGDS website forums.
        > Help new area geocachers find us.
        > Geocaching advice, tip and tricks and constructive criticism.
        > Maybe a FAQ section in the Discussions section.
        > And much much more!!
        >
        > What the page would not be used for:
        > Player or Cache bashing!!
        > A political playground for personal agenda pushing. (either real world or
        > caching)
        > Blatently offensive material. (Use common sense here)
        >
        > Let me know what everyone thinks.  And worst case scenerio, I could start the
        > page and if it falls apart or gets out of hand it can be deleted very easily.
        >
        > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

      • Quadmft
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010

          Old people don't want to keep up with the new better things.  Those who resist will be lost.

          Those against, probably still read the actual newspaper.
          Sent by  Courtney CC Calkins

          From: thrak@... <thrak@...>
          To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Monday, November 15, 2010, 5:33 PM

          Bleh. Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it.

          On 11/15/2010 9:49 AM, Janet wrote:

          I'm all for it. This site I am not getting all the update postings. I get one here or there but it is harder to navigate through here as it would be for Facebook. Plus you could get more input. Please let me know if you do it and I will add it to my list.

          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:

          > I was contemplating starting a RCGDS fan page on Facebook but I wanted to get
          > the group's permission first.  There are many of us that are already on FB
          > every day and I think that there would be many potential benefits to a page that
          > we could all tune into and participate on.  (I would also need a couple of you
          > who would be willing to Co-Administer the page, minimal commitment)
          >
          > Things that I could see the page useful for.
          > Posting experiences on awesome caches. (Cache recommendations)
          > Caching collaboration and excursions.
          > Update on new event postings for those who don't get notifications or don't
          > utilize "premium" member features.
          > Awareness of other Non-Geocaching events that can impact or supplement the
          > Geocaching experience.
          > Posting of invites to geocaching events outside of the RCGDS.
          > Bring attention to updates in the RCGDS website forums.
          > Help new area geocachers find us.
          > Geocaching advice, tip and tricks and constructive criticism.
          > Maybe a FAQ section in the Discussions section.
          > And much much more!!
          >
          > What the page would not be used for:
          > Player or Cache bashing!!
          > A political playground for personal agenda pushing. (either real world or
          > caching)
          > Blatently offensive material. (Use common sense here)
          >
          > Let me know what everyone thinks.  And worst case scenerio, I could start the
          > page and if it falls apart or gets out of hand it can be deleted very easily.
          >
          > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

        • J Kaye
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
            Oh boy, here comes the hate mail!

            BTW Courtney.....at 45, you are considered "old" by lots of folks.

            Old people don't want to keep up with the new better things.  Those who resist will be lost.

            Those against, probably still read the actual newspaper.
            Sent by  Courtney CC Calkins

            Bleh. Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it.

            On 11/15/2010 9:49 AM, Janet wrote:

            I'm all for it. This site I am not getting all the update postings. I get one here or there but it is harder to navigate through here as it would be for Facebook. Plus you could get more input. Please let me know if you do it and I will add it to my list.

            --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:

            > I was contemplating starting a RCGDS fan page on Facebook but I wanted to get
            > the group's permission first.  There are many of us that are already on FB
            > every day and I think that there would be many potential benefits to a page that
            > we could all tune into and participate on.  (I would also need a couple of you
            > who would be willing to Co-Administer the page, minimal commitment)
            >
            > Things that I could see the page useful for.
            > Posting experiences on awesome caches. (Cache recommendations)
            > Caching collaboration and excursions.
            > Update on new event postings for those who don't get notifications or don't
            > utilize "premium" member features.
            > Awareness of other Non-Geocaching events that can impact or supplement the
            > Geocaching experience.
            > Posting of invites to geocaching events outside of the RCGDS.
            > Bring attention to updates in the RCGDS website forums.
            > Help new area geocachers find us.
            > Geocaching advice, tip and tricks and constructive criticism.
            > Maybe a FAQ section in the Discussions section.
            > And much much more!!
            >
            > What the page would not be used for:
            > Player or Cache bashing!!
            > A political playground for personal agenda pushing. (either real world or
            > caching)
            > Blatently offensive material. (Use common sense here)
            >
            > Let me know what everyone thinks.  And worst case scenerio, I could start the
            > page and if it falls apart or gets out of hand it can be deleted very easily.
            >
            > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

          • thrak
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
              Yes, I do read the newspaper. I also work in IT and get tired of fixing computers for people who click on anything and everything. I'm simply not a fan of the social networking thing. I'd rather have an actual life than be "connected" all the time. To each his/her own. For those who enjoy the social networking I'm sure this will be a good thing.

              On 11/16/2010 7:55 AM, Quadmft wrote:

              Old people don't want to keep up with the new better things.  Those who resist will be lost.

              Those against, probably still read the actual newspaper.
              Sent by  Courtney CC Calkins

              Bleh. Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it.

              On 11/15/2010 9:49 AM, Janet wrote:

              I'm all for it. This site I am not getting all the update postings. I get one here or there but it is harder to navigate through here as it would be for Facebook. Plus you could get more input. Please let me know if you do it and I will add it to my list.

              --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:

              > I was contemplating starting a RCGDS fan page on Facebook but I wanted to get
              > the group's permission first.  There are many of us that are already on FB
              > every day and I think that there would be many potential benefits to a page that
              > we could all tune into and participate on.  (I would also need a couple of you
              > who would be willing to Co-Administer the page, minimal commitment)
              >
              > Things that I could see the page useful for.
              > Posting experiences on awesome caches. (Cache recommendations)
              > Caching collaboration and excursions.
              > Update on new event postings for those who don't get notifications or don't
              > utilize "premium" member features.
              > Awareness of other Non-Geocaching events that can impact or supplement the
              > Geocaching experience.
              > Posting of invites to geocaching events outside of the RCGDS.
              > Bring attention to updates in the RCGDS website forums.
              > Help new area geocachers find us.
              > Geocaching advice, tip and tricks and constructive criticism.
              > Maybe a FAQ section in the Discussions section.
              > And much much more!!
              >
              > What the page would not be used for:
              > Player or Cache bashing!!
              > A political playground for personal agenda pushing. (either real world or
              > caching)
              > Blatently offensive material. (Use common sense here)
              >
              > Let me know what everyone thinks.  And worst case scenerio, I could start the
              > page and if it falls apart or gets out of hand it can be deleted very easily.
              >
              > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

            • Janet
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
                It seems I was a little late for the party. It has been done already and I happy to join the rest of the gang there. I don't know about the rest of you who think this is easier. Facebook is way easier to see what's going on then this. If you want to know where it is it is right here. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/RCGDS
              • Courtney
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010
                  Can't we have BOTH. This group and the FB page? To suit everybody's taste.

                  Personally, I think every county should have a FB page. Make it easier to research when traveling. Make it easy to check out resources for quality caches.

                  I am happy to be OLD AND keeping up with the times.
                • Alisa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 16, 2010

                    The RCGDS has both their email list AND a Facebook page.  Both get updated with the same information.  That way everyone gets it.

                    Alisa