Garmin Chirp

  • thrak
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
      I just read about the Garmin Chirp. Interesting device.

      http://tinyurl.com/287vrld

      http://tinyurl.com/37cbx62
    • Ben Ford
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
        That's pretty cool!

        --
        Ben Ford
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
          Yes it is too bad not enough cachers have the GPSs to find them. I own one cache with a Chirp. Mine is the first one in Northern Cal. It is located in Point Pinole Park, Pinole Ca. I don't even have a GPS that can detect it. I had to borrow one to program it.
        • thrak
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
            I'm wondering if there are many folks in the area who can connect to the Chirp. I know my 78S can utilize the signal but I'm not sure if there's a use for it in this area.

            The FAQ on who can and can't connect says:

            The following Garmin GPS units are compatible with chirp
            • Dakota 20
            • Oregon 300, 400t, 400i, 400c
            • Oregon 450, 450t, 550, 550t
            • GPSMAP 62s, 62st
            • GPSMAP 78s, 78sc

            The following are not compatible with chirp because they do not include ANT+ wireless hardware support:
            • Dakota 10
            • Oregon 200
            • GPSMAP 62
            • GPSMAP 78
            • All eTrex, GPSMAP 60/76 and nüvi models

            The following are not compatible with chirp because Garmin has not provided software support:
            • Colorado 300, 400t, 400i, 400c

            On 11/15/2010 9:33 AM, thrak wrote:

            I just read about the Garmin Chirp. Interesting device.

            http://tinyurl.com/287vrld

            http://tinyurl.com/37cbx62

          • Tammy Pokorney
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
              thank you for that info!

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
                A thread I'm reading on the GC forum says that it IS compatible with the 62,
                which would make sense, since it's a brand new unit.

                > I'm wondering if there are many folks in the area who can connect
                > to the Chirp. I know my 78S can utilize the signal but I'm not
                > sure if there's a use for it in this area.
                >
                > The FAQ on who can and can't connect says:
                >
                > The following Garmin GPS units are compatible with chirp
                > Dakota 20 Oregon 300, 400t, 400i, 400c Oregon 450,
                > 450t, 550, 550t GPSMAP 62s, 62st GPSMAP 78s, 78sc
                > The following are not compatible with chirp because they do not
                > include ANT+ wireless hardware support:
                > Dakota 10 Oregon 200 GPSMAP 62 GPSMAP 78
                > All eTrex, GPSMAP 60/76 and nüvi models
                > The following are not compatible with chirp because Garmin has not
                > provided software support:
                > Colorado 300, 400t, 400i, 400c
                >
                > On 11/15/2010 9:33 AM, thrak wrote:
                > I just read about the Garmin Chirp. Interesting device.
              • Jellis
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
                  The 62s and the 62st but not the 62. It's not a wireless unit.

                  Believe in what you see and know, not what you hear.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
                    Yep. It needs to be a unit that can wirelessly send and receive info to and from other units. Otherwise it can't connect with the Chirp.

                    The Chirp sounds interesting to me but, for most caches, there would need to be other ways of getting the info so that folks with older units could still find the cache. It would be really useful for a stage of a multi-cache as you could either find the hide with the next stage coordinates inside or else get close enough to electronically receive the info on a newer unit.

                    It could also broadcast info such as the combination to a lock that secures a cache but, again, you'd need an alternate method of getting that info so as not to preclude finds by folks without wireless capability on their GPS.

                  • thrak@pacbell.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 18, 2010
                      I had to work in Roseville today so I stopped at REI and picked up a Chirp. I experimented with it in my yard and it seemed to work quite well. The NAME filed is limited to very few characters - I think it was truncated at 9 characters when I tried a longer name. I used 25 characters in the NOTE section and had some space left over. I'd guess it holds 30 characters for the note.  I entered the info into my 78s and then simply sent it wirelessly to the Chirp. I turned off Chirp mode on my GPS and put the Chirp in the fork of a tree in my front yard. I went back inside and turned on Chirp mode on the GPS, went to the map screen (as I wasn't actually searching for a cache or anything) and wandered out the front door. I was maybe 30 - 40 feet away from the place I had put the Chirp when my GPS switched to a new screen and said it had made contact with a Chirp and started downloading info. Pretty cool. I hit "GO" and selected "OFF ROAD" (I had a choice of OK or GO and a choice of OFF ROAD, ON ROAD FOR TIME, or ON ROAD FOR DISTANCE - standard choices for my unit). I followed the arrow around the house to the back yard and, naturally, ended up exactly where I had made the original way point.

                      I really ought to get off my duff and place a new cache. Since there are likely a very small (so far) number of folks locally who have a Chirp capable device, I could use it to send coordinates to an ancillary hide such as an unactivated geocoin or something as a prize for the first Chirp capable cacher to look for the geocache. If you are actively searching for a cache and a Chirp is detected it will go into your unit as the Next Stage of a multi whether you were actually looking for a multi or not. You can continue to search for your current cache and have the Next Stage available for afterward. Of course if you ARE looking for a multi it works quite well for that purpose as well.

                      I don't have an iPhone but I know a lot of people do have them and use them for geocaching. I'm hoping someone writes an iPhone app for the Chirp soon. It's an ANT thing so it should be something that can be done fairly easily by those who have that skill set. There's a new "beacon" icon available for caches that use a Chirp. If you hide a cache that REQUIRES a Chirp enabled device it has to be listed as a Mystery (a Question Mark Cache  ;-) ) and have the Beacon icon enabled. Otherwise, it won't be approved. If this thing becomes widely accepted that might work in this area but, at this time, I think it would be pretty restrictive as far as the number of people who could find the cache.

                      This is the new beacon icon:  which could also be used for other types of caches such as those with wireless access points. I know that some people are using them in their cars mobile travel bugs. You can snag the bug as you travel down the road or find it easier in the parking lot at an event.

                      Groundspeak has this to say about using the Chirp. (The icon HAS been added)
                      1. A new attribute for a “beacon” will be added soon. Any caches that use a Chirp (or any future similar device) should use this attribute.
                      2. If a cache owner puts a beacon in a traditional cache and geocachers have an alternative method to find it without using the beacon, then OK. I remind you to use the coming attribute.
                      3. If the cache owner insists on not providing an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as a mystery with the beacon attribute.
                      4. Cache descriptions may mention the “Chirp” as long as the text doesn’t go on and on with “overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion” as per our long-standing commercial guidelines.
                      5. We do not plan to add a new cache type just for this.
                      NOTE: I just ran a pocket query based on the BEACON icon and only found 9 caches within 500 miles of my home coordinates in Chico. The caches returned by the search were:

                      Total Records: 9 - Page: 1 of 1 - < Prev   <<   <[1]>   >>   Next >

                      Direction and Distance Found
It Icons (D/T) Placed Description Last Found Send to
GPS

                      SS
                      104.1mi

                      Traditional Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (1/1.5)
                      Size: Small
                      29 Aug 09 Steel Magnolia by Team Luvbassn (GC1XYBX)
                      California
                      7 days ago*
                      Send
to GPS

                      SS
                      124.5mi

                      Unknown Cache Travel
Bug Dog Tag (4 item(s)) Premium
Member Only Cache (4.5/2)
                      Size: Regular
                      29 Aug 10 A Rare Bird by jellis (GC2E8RQ)
                      California
                      25 Oct 10
                      Send
to GPS

                      NWNW
                      142.4mi

                      Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (2.5/1)
                      Size: Not chosen
                      7 Nov 10 Drum Signal by BRUHN (GC2HYYN)
                      California
                      7 days ago*
                      Send
to GPS

                      SS
                      168.3mi

                      Unknown Cache (2/1.5)
                      Size: Not chosen
                      8 Nov 10 A little birdie told me... by The North Star (GC2HQA4)
                      California
                      Today*
                      Send
to GPS

                      NN
                      307.9mi

                      Unknown Cache Geocoins: Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug (1), GeoGem
(1), City of Canby 2009 Geocoin (1) Premium
Member Only Cache (4.5/2)
                      Size: Small
                      31 Oct 10 Outskirts by elkjim (GC2HKDG)
                      Oregon
                      4 days ago*
                      Send
to GPS

                      SESE
                      429.1mi

                      Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (3.5/2)
                      Size: Not chosen
                      24 Oct 10 Las Vegas' First CHIRP by Clay4 (GC2H8PR)
                      Nevada
                      08 Nov 10
                      Send
to GPS

                      SESE
                      431.2mi

                      Unknown Cache Premium
Member Only Cache (2/2)
                      Size: Small
                      30 Oct 10 Another Chirp by Landnavmaster (GC2HH03)
                      Nevada
                      08 Nov 10
                      Send
to GPS

                      SESE
                      433.1mi

                      Traditional Cache Travel
Bug Dog Tag (1 item) Atlantic Canada Souwester Geocoin (1 item(s)) (2.5/3)
                      Size: Regular
                      11 Nov 07 Temescal Waterfall by Sond813 (GC17B73)
                      California
                      06 Nov 10
                      Send
to GPS

                      SESE
                      454.7mi

                      Unknown Cache YemonYime v3 Geocoin (1 item(s)) (5/1)
                      Size: Regular
                      31 Oct 10 Brady's Bug by G&C (GC2HQPZ)
                      California

                      Send