Angel Island in the Spring/Summer, anyone interested?

  • Jef Spencer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010

      This is also posted to the RCGDS Forums if you wish to respond there: (Preferred for tracking)

      http://www.rcgds.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2479#2479

      Angel Island

      I have been re-inspired to look at a multi day trip to Angel Island next spring/summer.  Anyone interested in joining me or have any advice?  This is my initial plan with dates to be determined and other details to be hammered out.

      Taking the Amtrak train to Emeryville, bus to the SF Ferry Station.  Hop on the Ferry to the island.  Camp out for two nights and return the same way. (Ferry, Bus and Train)  This would give me a full day and two partial days to explore and cache on the island.

      I was thinking that taking the train would be just a bit less expensive than paying for gas, tolls and a few days of parking.  Of course I would be dragging along my mountain bike since it can be taken on the train, bus and ferry.(Bike rental available on the island as well)  With just enough gear/food in my pack for minimalist camping I would pack light.  And be forewarned, I plan on visiting every cache and historical site on the island so if you can keep up, great!  If not, enjoy the island at your own pace.

      If anyone was interested in splitting the cost of the nightly campsite 2, 3 or even 8 ways that would be great. (8 per camp site max)  I was thinking about one of the campsites on the backside of the island.

      Costs involved:

      Train & Bus - $56 Round Trip (Amtrak)

      Ferry - $16 Round Trip (Blue & Gold Ferry and includes park fees)

      Campsite - $60 (Two nights but could be split up to 8 ways)

      Schedule:

      Friday

                  Amtrak Train – 6:35AM - 8:10AM

                  Amtrak Bus – 8:25AM – 8:55AM

                  Ferry to Island – 9:20AM – 10:05AM

                  Rest of the day – Set up camp and explore

      Saturday

                  Play and explore all day

      Sunday

                  Play in the AM till 2ish or so

                  Ferry to Mainland – 4:30PM – 5:50PM

                  Amtrak Bus – 6:15PM – 6:50PM

                  Amtrak Train – 7:05PM – 8:55PM

      With what looks like 40+ caches on the island and lots of hiking trails it would be a fun filled few days.  I might even schedule an event on the island to see if any of the locals would make the trip for a meet and greet.  Anyone interested??

      Info Links:

      http://angelisland.org/

      Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

      Profile for SNSpencer
      Want to see what I can do? Check out my Etsy Account!!

      If you do not wish to receive any future DIRECT emails from Jef simply reply to this message to let me know.  This does not apply to mailserv lists that you may subscribe to.
    • Tammy Pokorney
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010

        I'm not sure where you live.  What city is this bus from?

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2010
          Tammy: To answer your question about the bus.  The Amtrak does not cross the bay bridge so I woulld get off the train in Emeryville and catch the Amtrak Bus over the bridge. (I would be coming from Sacramento using the Capitol Coridor train)

          Ken:  Service Project.... that's a great idea.  With this much time I will see what I can work out with the parks department and the Island Association.

          Everyone else:  Like I said, I don't have dates just yet.  Just working out the idea and I am pleased to see that there is interest from many of you.  Now I need to do some work over the next few months to make this happen.  (I will be riding the train and taking the bus to SF tomorrow so I can gauge the bike hauling capability)