help for the 60csx

  • rubberpaws2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
      I have a garmin 60csx that I have used once about 2 years ago. I want to take it to Florida next week as my back up gpsr and can't see if my caches loaded. I loaded it from Gsax and it says it went but when I look in Geocaches or waypoints nothing shows. I transferred doing it through "its connected." does it have to transfer in USB mass storage mode? Is there a way to find the caches on the gpsr to make sure they are really there? I had this problem before so gave up on this unit. maybe you can help me fall in love with it. any help would really be appreciated as my main gpsr is having a little trouble and don't want to totally count on it making it through the trip.
      thanks so much.
    • Bryan Lamb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
        I have a Garmin 60 CSx and load the caches using GeoBuddy, but it should be just like using GSAK.  If you will go to your map page and look at the area where you loaded the caches, they should show up on your map. You won't see them in your waypoint list because they are too far away from home, but they will show up on the US Map.  Just zoom in on Florida and you'll see them just fine.
          Have a great trip and don't forget the bug spray! :-)
        On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM, rubberpaws2000 <cwe@...> wrote:

        I have a garmin 60csx that I have used once about 2 years ago. I want to take it to Florida next week as my back up gpsr and can't see if my caches loaded. I loaded it from Gsax and it says it went but when I look in Geocaches or waypoints nothing shows. I transferred doing it through "its connected." does it have to transfer in USB mass storage mode? Is there a way to find the caches on the gpsr to make sure they are really there? I had this problem before so gave up on this unit. maybe you can help me fall in love with it. any help would really be appreciated as my main gpsr is having a little trouble and don't want to totally count on it making it through the trip.
        thanks so much.

      • Bill Mattish
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
          Are they local caches or Florida caches? I'm thinking it won't display the caches in Florida until you get there. Have you tried loaded some caches near you just to make sure they are really there?

          I have a garmin 60csx that I have used once about 2 years ago. I want to take it to Florida next week as my back up gpsr and can't see if my caches loaded. I loaded it from Gsax and it says it went but when I look in Geocaches or waypoints nothing shows. I transferred doing it through "its connected." does it have to transfer in USB mass storage mode? Is there a way to find the caches on the gpsr to make sure they are really there? I had this problem before so gave up on this unit. maybe you can help me fall in love with it. any help would really be appreciated as my main gpsr is having a little trouble and don't want to totally count on it making it through the trip.
          thanks so much.

        • Bryan Wright
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010

            By default the 60CSx searches by distance. It won't show waypoints a few thousand miles away. When the list of waypoints comes up if you push the Menu key it will allow you to search by name (which does not take distance into account). Alternately if you zoom/scroll waaaaaay out on the map the waypoints should be out there in FL.

            Hope this helps,

            The SKWERL

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
              wow, that worked great, I only see two boxes but loaded two gsak files so think they are fine. didn't keep zooming once I saw those gold boxes.  gee I wish this unit would verify they really go a lot easier.  so used to a double check on my explorist.  thanks so much for the answer, it worked and now i can pack it.
              rubberpaws
            • Bryan Wright
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010

                When you do the upload via GSAK, doesn’t it give you a confirmation of the number of points uploaded?  Or do you want confirmation beyond that as well?  Personally, I’m just as likely to trust a dialog box from GSAK as I am one from Garmin :-).  I’m usually less concerned that the SW worked than I am about “operator error” on my part.  Things like: “Did I try to put more than 1000 wpts in the unit?” or “Are the waypoints I loaded the ones I really wanted to load?” (I’ve uploaded the wrong file before and arrived at a location only to realize that I didn’t have the points I was expecting), so I usually either scroll over to lay eyes on the waypoints or do a find to see if it looks like what I expected.

                Have fun!

                The SKWERL

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
                  One way you can check the uploaded caches is to open another instance of Mapsource and download the waypoints. From there you can determine the number of caches downloaded and check their validity. Of course unless you have deleted the previously loaded waypoints from the gpsr you will have to take them into consideration. Another point, the 60csx does display message when the 1000 waypoint limit is exceeded. You just don't know what waypoints were not transfered.

                  Bill M (aka Mtnshasta)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
                    It should be just like my 76CSx.

                    Find
                    Geocache
                    Hit the Menu button and select Find by Name

                    As someone else said, the default is by distance and, if the caches are too far away, they don't show up until you change it to show them by name

                    If the caches don't show up there then you have a problem.