Re: [NUTS] New California Law?

  • thrak@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
      Hanging beads, fuzzy dice, etc. from the rear view mirror is also illegal. It's not something that's enforced.  I had a mount for my GPS stuck in the lower left corner of the windshield (where it's now legal) long before the law passed that made it legal to do so. I spoke with CHP and local law enforcement a fair number of times while geocaching with this unit in place and clearly visible while it was still illegal. Not one of them said a word about it.

      Sierra Rat wrote:

      I too read that part of the vehicle code. So this part isn't a "new" law as my wife's friend claims. The next, I guess, is to understand what the existing law means. While I'm now in my 60's, I don't have to peek through the steering wheel to see the road. With the beanbag-GPS in the center of my dash, the only view it is blocking is part of the car's hood, not any part of the road. So would blocking/obscuring my view of the hood be a violation? I think not. I tend to agree that the police and Highway Patrol have other things to do and I have never been bothered in the past. I just wanted to be sure there was no new law out there.

      Thanks for the replies, Jack

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
        Sometimes we have our hand held GPS, Roadmate GPS and a PDA all suction cupped to the windshield.  We have never been stopped but I guess if we did we would get a ticket.

        Sierra Rat wrote:

        I too read that part of the vehicle code. So this part isn't a "new" law as my wife's friend claims. The next, I guess, is to understand what the existing law means. While I'm now in my 60's, I don't have to peek through the steering wheel to see the road. With the beanbag-GPS in the center of my dash, the only view it is blocking is part of the car's hood, not any part of the road. So would blocking/obscuring my view of the hood be a violation? I think not. I tend to agree that the police and Highway Patrol have other things to do and I have never been bothered in the past. I just wanted to be sure there was no new law out there.

        Thanks for the replies, Jack

      • muniman_geo
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2009
          I do not know about the legality of it. I would just make sure that it is not on your airbag.

          Gary (muniman)