Ask Amy

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      I was looking at tonights newspaper and just happened to read the Ask Amy column, the person who took over for Dear Abbie or Ann Landers, not that I want everyone to think I'm a big Ask Amy fan but she did have some good advice, sounds like a hobby I could get interested in...

      Dear Amy: I read with interest the letter from "Animal Lover" about her boyfriend and his love of hunting.

      If it truly is the "thrill of the hunt" that her boyfriend wants, he should try a new form of hunting. It is called "geocaching."

      Geocaching is high-tech treasure hunting.

      Instead of a gun, one uses a GPS unit to track treasures hidden by other geocachers. The treasures can be as simple as little windup toys, but the thrill of finding a buried treasure is fantastic!

      The hunt can be enjoyed by a couple, and there is beautiful scenery and fresh air and it can be a great adventure.

      A decent GPS unit can be had for the price of a hunting license and a box of ammo.

      -- Lisa in L.A.

      Dear Lisa: I honestly don't know if this dialogue about hunting is changing any minds, but it certainly is introducing me to some new and different preoccupations. I did some research on geocaching (www.geocaching.com is one resource), and it does look like a lot of fun.