Farewell Jackrat......

  • niftsix
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3 10:48 PM

      It is with a sad heart that I share the news that my longtime friend, co-worker, and geocache partner, Jack - aka Jackrat from jackrat and The Brain, passed away this morning at his home after a courageous battle with cancer.

      For those interested, services are planned for next Thursday September 10th - details will be forthcoming.

      Godspeed, Raymond (NIFTSIX)

      http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ecde4034-0113-402c-b5a6-0b094b49869a

    • Matt and Stephanie Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3 10:57 PM
        A very sad heart indeed....  our condolences to Mary and family.  He will surely be missed.

        Matt and Stephanie

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3 11:40 PM
          Jack was the very first geocacher that I met when I first started caching.  He and I spent a day caching together and I surely enjoyed his company that day.  He will very much be missed.

          Sierra Rat (Jack)

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4 5:37 AM
            Very sad news.  Jack was a heck of a nice guy.  Our condolences to his family and friends.

            Gary & Vicky

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4393 (20090904) __________

            http://www.eset.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4 7:54 AM
              We are so saddened by the passing of JackRat. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mary and their family and friends. He was a valiant fighter. We will fondly remember good times caching and 4 wheeling with JackRat and the Brain. He was a great guy and sure will be missed, Rock&Crystal

              To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4 8:08 AM
                Thank you Raymond for letting us know about this.

                We are so sorry to hear about Jack's passing. I had high hopes that he was going to win the battle. Jack was such a nice guy and good friend. Our hearts go out to Mary and their family.

                Gail and Mike (Escapades)

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4 10:05 AM
                  OMG!

                  When I first started geocaching I was introduced to it by Bobolu. On the first time I actually went out with Bob we ran into Jack and Mary at a virtual up in Paradise. Mary braved the deep mud near the monument and relayed the info to the rest of us while "the guys" stood around blathering the way geocachers do. Of course, as I'm sure others have experienced, Jack and Bob and I were still standing around blathering about caching when Mary got back in the car and was waiting "patiently" for us to finish. We kept on jabbering away until Jack finally said he had better go NOW since Mary had been waiting quite a while. :-D

                  Most of the time when I'd run into Jack and Mary it would be Mary who called out that she found it - partly because I'd get to talking away with Jack and we'd be kind of half-way looking and also, of course, because Mary WAS "The Brain"!  To me, these two were a fixture of my geocaching intro and folks my wife and I always sought out at any gathering.  One time they found a cache by the "thrak" that had been left behind due to my being very tired while I was caching. On one side of a bush they found one of my buttons and on the other side they found a hiking stick with my name engraved in it. Of course the cache was in the bush between them. (And also, of course, I got a call to come to the house and retrieve my stick!)

                  I knew Jack had been ill - it was obvious from his absence from caching for a while and by his altered appearance when he returned to a bit of caching. He's someone whom all of the folks who've been caching in the Chico area for 4 or 5 years knew and respected. The team of jackrat and The Brain have been a pleasure to know and cache with for all of these folks. Jack will be missed and mourned by many.

                  I'm further saddened that I have to go in for surgery at 6:00 AM on the morning of the service and therefore won't be able to attend. It seems hard to have to miss paying my final respects along with my fellow cachers. Our thoughts and best wishes go out to Mary and the rest of the family.

                  Michael and Chris Gullick  (Thrak)

                • JeoMc5@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4 9:05 PM
                    I couldn't have said it any better,
                    Although I'm a little further distant, I do feel the connection.
                    My thoughts and prayers are with you,

                    Jeo

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6 10:41 AM
                      Link to today's Enterprise Record:

                      http://www.legacy.com/ChicoER/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=132283069

                      JOHN "JACK" WARSON

                      JOHN "JACK"

                      WARSON

                      John "Jack" Warson was born March 20, 1952 in Chico, CA and passed away at his home on September 3, 2009.

                      Jack is survived by his wife of 35 years, Mary; their three children, John, Jeanette and Sarah Manliguez and their spouses, Jennifer and Andy; five grandchildren Melanie, Kelsey, Taylor and Dylan Warson and Aaron Manliguez; and two sisters, Ann Mattos and Becky Shadd.

                      Jack worked for Butte County Public Works for 35 years. He loved to spend time with family, travel, camp and geo-cache in his red Jeep. Jack loved his family and had a positive outlook on life and always made the best of every situation.

                      A celebration of Jack's life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, September 10, 2009 at the Gridley Biggs Cemetery.

                      The family requests in lieu of flowers, that donations be made to the Diabetic Youth Foundation at 5167 Clayton Rd. Suite F, Concord, CA 94521.

                      Arrangements are entrusted to Gridley-Block Funeral Chapel 530 846-2138.

                      niftsix wrote:

                      It is with a sad heart that I share the news that my longtime friend, co-worker, and geocache partner, Jack - aka Jackrat from jackrat and The Brain, passed away this morning at his home after a courageous battle with cancer.

                      For those interested, services are planned for next Thursday September 10th - details will be forthcoming.

                      Godspeed, Raymond (NIFTSIX)

                      http://www.geocachi ng.com/profile/ ?guid=ecde4034- 0113-402c- b5a6-0b094b49869 a

                    • Debra Haseleu
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 6 10:38 PM
                        Ours Prayers are with you. Keith and Debbie