Smiley or Frown?

  • blucruzfamily
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
      I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
      Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
      Gary (Blucruz)
    • Jef Spencer
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
        Just remember that the game experience is determined by you, and you alone.  Play the game in the manner that is most enjoyable to you and don't worry about what others are doing.  No one has control over how others behave and frankly, it's not worth the time fretting over it.  Save that time for your version of Geocaching....

        Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

        Profile for SNSpencer
        Want to know what I am up to?  Follow me on Twitter - Click Here

        If you do not wish to receive any future DIRECT emails from Jef simply reply to this message to let me know.  This does not apply to mailserv lists that you may subscribe to.

        I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
        Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
        Gary (Blucruz)

      • Gary Hobgood

          I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
          Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
          Gary (Blucruz)

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4363 (20090824) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Robert L Dunbar
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
            I know of geocachers who don't sign nanocaches only because they don't want to take the time of unwinding, then winding up that little strip of paper.  The laziness is understandable, but when the GREAT GEOCACHING GENDARME goes around checking everybody's log-ins, he may not allow those without signatures. Those people will just have to live with their consciences for having done an incomplete job.  If I have a strip of paper on me and there is no log, I try to temporize one until the owner can correct it. I get grumpy once in awhile, too! Nanook56 (Bob)

            blucruzfamily wrote:

            I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
            Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
            Gary (Blucruz)

          • Cinrafter
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
              Ditto Jef! My thoughts exactly !

              Luc Pockets

              Sent from Cindy's iPhone

              On Aug 24, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Gary Hobgood <hobgood@...> wrote:

              Well said Jef.

              Gary

            • jerryw38@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009

                  Geocaching is like golf---Only u know how many strokes (caches ) that u took.

                It is only game and enjoy it.  Don't worry about the phoney cachers, they will be caught.

                Are they active and attend events???????

                jerryw38

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
                  From one crabby old man to another............. I agree with you completely. I realize most will say it's no big deal but I really dislike "cheating" even if folks are only cheating themselves. If you aren't even honest with yourself I don't expect that you will be honest with others either.

                • JeoMc5@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 24, 2009
                    I like the golf analogy, everyone plays it a little different, waas that a gimme on the putt? Ooops a mulligan, basically in golf you are playing against yourself and having fun with friends, hopefully the same with geocaching.

                    Jeo

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                      While I agree with the sign the log group, I will admit that I have not always signed the log. Once I forgot a pen and instead of walking back to the car, I pricked my finger and left a fingerprint. And once while doing a series of caches along a trail, one of them had a sodden mess of a log. I had no replacement and past logs stated that the log was soaked. I don't feel like anyone was cheated in these cases.

                      Now I have a file that someone sent me with a bunch of puzzles caches on it. All solved, ready to go. Never opened it and never will. That would be cheating two people. Myself and the hider.

                      I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
                      Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
                      Gary (Blucruz)

                    • Cliff Meyer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                        How about the cacher than hides caches in his wife's name and then finds them in his? Sure is an easy way to build numbers if you can live with yourself. (and the whole community who knows what you are doing).

                        If you are with another cacher when they are putting out hides should you ever claim a find on that cache?

[...]

                      • Mac
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                          Yes, at a later date, but not FTF.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                            How about those that that are doing events where they are supposed to check in at the event?
                            Instead, they are sitting out in the field waiting with their wireless cards in their laptops for the gpx file post on the web. They then knock out the furthest caches and work their way in. They get some FTF's before anyone from the event that can even get to them in time. Some work hard to honestly get the FTF. Only to get there and find that someone one had already logged it. I then meet the person on the trail who was bragging they got it and how they did it. I did not have much to say to this cacher and just moved on. Ticked me off, but what can we do?
                            I have dubbed stuff like this as "geocheating". I have seen a few other inconsistencies as well out in the field.
                            I try to keep the highest integrity while out on the hunt. I like the phrase "To thine own self be true". And how hard is it to replace a temp log until the cache owner can replace one? As some have said, the cacher(s) doing this are the ones that has to live with the way they hunt. Right or wrong, it is their call. There are people from all walks of life doing this activity anyhow. Can we expect perfection? Then again, I am still kind of new and really do not get too involved in the forums. Though I do learn a lot by reading them. Just my two cents.

                            Happy caching and keep your head up high!  :-)

                            mtntrek

                            To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
                            From: cliffmeyer75@...
                            Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 05:50:46 -0700

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                              OK I think I am missing something.  If you find the cache but the log sheet is missing and you replace the log sheet and sign it is that a find or not?  I would call it a find.  I'm not going back another time to see if the cache owner put in an official log I'm calling it a find.
                              I not racing against anybody anyway in finds.  I just like to see how many caches I have found.
                              Mike

                              From: cliffmeyer75@ yahoo.com
                              Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 05:50:46 -0700

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                                Lets see... Geocaching is a game. Every Cacher I have met plays the game a little different.  I just returned from Ground Speak Head Quarters last week, where the developers were talking to us about the uniquiness of this game to each player.
                                So play this game to your highest integrity and don't worry about everyone else.
                                So instead of debating something you have no control over, lets go Caching.

                                Tim

                                From: cliffmeyer75@ yahoo.com
                                Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 05:50:46 -0700

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                                  EXACTLY!  Thank you.

                                  From: cliffmeyer75@ yahoo.com
                                  Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 05:50:46 -0700

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009
                                    Hi NUTS!

                                    I dunno, I kind of find this topic tangential in the long run. No disrespect to anybody in particular, of course. There are many factors that play into whether or not you log a find physically vs. digitally. For example, I personally hate physically logging nanos...as my Dad pointed out below. But I will still go find them, because to me the specific challenge is in finding the nanocache container, not the log inside (with very few, albeit reasonable exceptions). In fact, inside many nanos I hide I will put a "log it" note inside just so somebody doesn't have to unwind an annoying, falling-apart log that will give away what they are doing to muggles they stand there long enough. I would rather someone find my nano hides and have them put back quickly so that the hides don't get muggled.

                                    If we as cache-hiders go the direction of requiring physical logs, and we're willing to check them out and adjust the electronic finds accordingly, that's a different game too. But all acceptable within the rules. If someone asks me in their cache description to physically log the find to receive credit, you can bet your boots I'll do it. But if not, I have the levity to say "hey, I found the cache, I'm logging the find."

                                    There's an honor system to finding caches that need maintenance, too, but that's also a judgment call. I personally won't log a find if all that's there is an open/obviously muggled container (not in the intended location, and with no contents, for example). But I wouldn't fault someone for digitally logging a find on one of my caches if they wrote me and told me about the fact that I needed to maintain my cache. I would give them credit for the find...as has happened to me many times when I find caches in need of TLC.

                                    Integrity is in the eye of the beholder, but to me the beauty of the geocaching "rules" is that they allow for exceptions, given the right circumstances.

                                    Cheers and cache on!

                                    Sean (seanlee1969)

                                    --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Robert L Dunbar <dwalrus38@...> wrote:

                                    > I know of geocachers who don't sign nanocaches only because they don't
                                    > want to take the time of unwinding, then winding up that little strip of
                                    > paper. The laziness is understandable, but when the GREAT GEOCACHING
                                    > GENDARME goes around checking everybody's log-ins, he may not allow
                                    > those without signatures. Those people will just have to live with their
                                    > consciences for having done an incomplete job. If I have a strip of
                                    > paper on me and there is no log, I try to temporize one until the owner
                                    > can correct it. I get grumpy once in awhile, too! Nanook56 (Bob)
                                    >
                                    > blucruzfamily wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find
                                    > > is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I
                                    > > don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on
                                    > > one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log
                                    > > sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you
                                    > > didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
                                    > > Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching
                                    > > experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the
                                    > > sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.
                                    > > Gary (Blucruz)

                                  • Tammy Pokorney
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 26, 2009
                                      Well said!  Thank you!

> [...]

                                      > consciences for having done an incomplete job. If I have a strip of
                                      > paper on me and there is no log, I try to temporize one until the owner
                                      > can correct it. I get grumpy once in awhile, too! Nanook56 (Bob)
                                      >
                                      > blucruzfamily wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find
                                      > > is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I
                                      > > don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on
                                      > > one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log
                                      > > sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you
                                      > > didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
                                      > > Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching
                                      > > experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the
                                      > > sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.

                                    • Cinrafter
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 26, 2009
                                        My gosh! Enough said, my email full of a subjest that in better put too sleep! To each his own, don't ya think!

                                        Sent from Cindy's iPhone

                                        On Aug 26, 2009, at 7:31 PM, "Tammy Pokorney" <alanpokorney@...> wrote:

                                        Well said!  Thank you!

> [...]

                                        > consciences for having done an incomplete job. If I have a strip of
                                        > paper on me and there is no log, I try to temporize one until the owner
                                        > can correct it. I get grumpy once in awhile, too! Nanook56 (Bob)
                                        >
                                        > blucruzfamily wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > I just don't understand why some people log a find when all they find
                                        > > is a container and no log. I have always had the mindset that if I
                                        > > don't sign it, I don't log it as a find. I've never deleted a log on
                                        > > one of my caches by someone claiming a find without signing the log
                                        > > sheet, and I have no intention of doing so, but, in my opinion you
                                        > > didn't find the cache if you didn't find and sign the log.
                                        > > Rant almost over....Sorry I've had some very upsetting caching
                                        > > experiences in the last couple months and have all but given up the
                                        > > sport. I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the little things.

                                      • Tammy Pokorney
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 26, 2009
                                          yup!

                                          My gosh! Enough said, my email full of a subjest that in better put too sleep! To each his own, don't ya think!

                                          Sent from Cindy's iPhone

                                          Well said!  Thank you!