iPhone

  • plunksfroggy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 22 4:28 PM
      There are several geocaching programs available at the App Store. Which ones do I need to download? Thanks.
      PS I'm practically illiterate technologically, so simple answers are best.
    • GARY KEMP
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22 5:19 PM
        I have been using the one from groundspeak, it can give you nearby caches anytime you have a signal, as well I have even used the gps function to find caches.  I don't think it is any more difficult than a regular gps.

        bishoptakesqueen

        There are several geocaching programs available at the App Store. Which ones do I need to download? Thanks.
        PS I'm practically illiterate technologically, so simple answers are best.

      • Cinrafter
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22 6:43 PM
          I work for iTunes and have these apps. But have little tome to cache these days. Would love to know how this works so I can cache on the "fly" so to speak!

          Sent from Cindy's iPhone

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22 9:53 PM
            just download the geocaching app from groundspeak and follow the rather obvious prompts.  Just download nearby caches and you have everything you would get from a Pocket Query on GSAK.  Click on the cache you want to go to, it will give a description, hint (if there is one), previous logs and a navigate screen, it will then bring up a map showing where the cache is and where you are.  It takes a little practice to orient yourself as to the blue dot and the green dot which is the cache.  Not really tough.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23 6:50 AM
              Hey Y'all, greetings from NC. I would download the geocaching app from Groundspeak. As others have mentioned it's very easy to use, and I have found a couple of caches just from using the internal GPS within the iPhone.

              I think the best part about this app is that you can quickly log the caches you find by using the field note option. I'll write a few words about the cache find while still in the area, and then when I log into GC.com later you can click on the field notes tab under your profile, and you're done!

              The only problem I have noticed is that if you don't have 3G coverage, the program can be very slow, but this is true with alot of the apps.

              Happy Caching!

              Doug/medic208
            • Matt and Stephanie Moore
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 23 7:13 AM
                We have an iPhone and have had to use it since our GPS died and we had to send it in.
                The app we use is also the one from Groundspeak and we love it.  It is easy to use and great for
                spur of the moment caching whereever you are.  But you have to make sure you have a signal.  Some
                times if you are in a place that you don't have cell service you are stuck, but if you have 3G coverage
                should be good.  And as medic208 stated use the "field note" option to post notes.  It is really GREAT!
                Even if you just make notations as you go you don't have to post the comments but it gives you a
                reminder of the cache so you can add on or elaborate when you go to post the log.  Or you can
                post the field note as is either way it is really handy.  One thing we did notice is that the accuracy
                is about 50ft as to where a GPS can get you 20to30 so if you just use your geosenses it will get
                you there but it may not bring you right on top of the cache.  But that is the fun....searching!  We are
                "treasure seekers" after all.  =0)  Anyway... hope the input helps and hope you enjoy using your
                new toy!

                Redvoodoo
                Stephanie

                Hey Y'all, greetings from NC. I would download the geocaching app from Groundspeak. As others have mentioned it's very easy to use, and I have found a couple of caches just from using the internal GPS within the iPhone.

                I think the best part about this app is that you can quickly log the caches you find by using the field note option. I'll write a few words about the cache find while still in the area, and then when I log into GC.com later you can click on the field notes tab under your profile, and you're done!

                The only problem I have noticed is that if you don't have 3G coverage, the program can be very slow, but this is true with alot of the apps.

                Happy Caching!

                Doug/medic208

              • loststarproductions
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23 7:21 AM
                  --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "plunksfroggy" <plunksfroggy@...> wrote:

                  > There are several geocaching programs available at the App Store. Which ones do I need to download? Thanks.
                  > PS I'm practically illiterate technologically, so simple answers are best.

                  Hello,

                  The iPhone app from Groundspeak is by far the best. There are others, but for what you are looking for, I would stick with the gs app to start. There are the other apps, and I have tried them all.
                  The groundspeak app has all the features you will need and use. And it is user friendly. After all, had not I found this app, I probably still would not know what geocaching is today. It has proven very useful. Though it still has bugs to be ironed out. For the most part it is stable and worth the 9.99.
                  As others have said that it is great when you have solid signal. But forget it when out in the sticks unless you have downloaded a pocket query before you lose your signal.
                  I enjoy this app, but do not forget your GPSr for back up.
                  The alternate app I use is the "Geocaching with geosphere" app.
                  This one is great for puzzle and multi's.

                  Hope this helps and happy caching,

                  mtntrek
                • ibhexed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23 7:46 AM
                    If you have an iPhone and you cache I think you'd be crazy not to have the geocache app from groundspeak. I still use my Garmin for the majority of cache searches. But I count on my app for posting field notes, checking descriptions in the field, falling back on the hint and even reading recent logs.

                    I was in San Francisco recently and decided to hunt a cache near Union Square (the cache was called Bamboo Alley). The coordinates got you to a location but signals in the city can be sketchy amongst the buildings. This cache hider had about 5 water color paintings in the cache description and from GZ you had to look at the first water color and then find that area around you and go there. Then you looked at the next painting and so on until you found the cache. The beauty of the iPhone app was all the watercolors were there in the description. No need to remember or print out the images.

                    Yesterday I loaded 2 new caches in my Garmin and went and got them. Then I searched for other nearby caches on the iPhone and just used the app to make 7 more finds before I headed home.

                    If you solve a puzzle cache you can add a waypoint in the app of the actual cache location. No need to write it on paper which usually disappears by the time I need it.

                    I can ramble on and on about this app. Bottom line....I count on it so much that I'd be lost without it now.

                    Jim
                  • Cinrafter

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 23 8:25 AM
                        Hey all you NoCal NUTS!

                        If anyone is looking for a good Geohound....  we have 4 Mini Dachshunds ready for re-homing.

                        If interested contact us at pakrbakr@...

                        Redvoodoo
                        Matt and Stephanie
                        HAPPY CACHING!

                      • Casas
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 23 9:54 AM
                          If I download more than one query, my app quits. The only thing to do then is reinstall from
                          iTunes. Other than that, I am very happy. Oh and I don't have the new iPhone so maybe that is not a problem anymore.

                          Casas