Re: [NUTS] Re: Northern California DeLorme Challenge

  • thrak@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
      Amazon URL with cheaper pricing:
      http://tinyurl.com/n4scjr

      Tammy Pokorney wrote:

      This is funny because I was just looking into this challenge today and was finding the same obstacles.  However, through a link on a website- "BRT Insights-Whitewater Kayaking", I found the book as low as $15 on Amazon.  I ordered one.  I can't seem to copy the link though. I was going to post it here. Not sure why I can't, but maybe one of you can if you can get to the page.

      Tammy

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
        I saw the same book at Amazon, however, the one I saw for $15 was a 1986 edition and since the "Challenge" was listed in 2004, I "assumed" it was based on the 2003 edition.  I could be wrong and/or there may be no differences in the map grids between the two editions.  But that was my reason for not buying that one.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
          First, I want to thank all of you for your help.  The further I look into this the more confused I get, or maybe I'm just making things too complicated (which I've been known to do more than once in my life).  The URL provided by Trak has a Northern California DeLorme Atlas listed that is "new" for $19.00.  It sounded like a bargain until I noticed that the description stated it was a 2nd Edition.  From what I can find out the second edition was printed in 1990.  So, I can pay $19.00 for the 1990 2nd edition version, $50.00 for the 2003 6th edition version (which I won't do) or $24.95 for the all new 2008 "California" version. hummm

          After all of this I bet many of you are amazed that I've ever been able to find or even hide a single cache.  As someone once told me "paralysis through analysis".  By the way, the ISBN for the 2003 6th edition is 0899332870.  I already have Hynr's GSAK macro to run my caches against, but I'm just an old guy that like to have a paper map to look at once in a while to plan my trips.

          Thanks again to all of you who have responded to help my in my quest.

          Sierra Rat

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
            Hey Jack,

            We have the 2000 (fifth) Northern CA edition, and would be happy to loan it to you but we still haven't managed to complete it with about 12 pages to go. Or grab whatever copy you can get and stop by to compare them. Am wondering just what differences have come with the various editions or was it simply that they ran out of copies and did reprints, or maybe some roads changed around major towns and cities. Would guess you could use any edition as long as the coords were the same for each page. Might contact DeLorme and ask about differences and then grab that $19 version. We've completed the Nevada, Oregon, Idaho and Tennessee DeLormes and are 11 pages from completing the Utah Challenge, and never ran into issues with the books. But then the CA Delorme is a bit of a monkey wrench.

            BTW, apparently there will be NO State of Jefferson DeLorme Challenge... first you must use TWO DeLormes (apparently a no-no), second it is a "duplication" of other challenges (and the CA challenge is NOT a duplication of Northern CA and Southern CA challenges???), third I was able to get the State of Jefferson Counties Challenge published, but the State of Jefferson DeLorme Challenge "is almost identical to it" and the differences are minor (paraphrased). Yeah, one has 19 counties to find, the other has parts of 95 pages to find... "almost identical", for sure! This all according to the "appeals" folks at GroundSpeak (who apparently have never done a challenge or compared a DeLorme to a Counties Challenge). Working on a LAME-O award for appeals! But I digress... Good luck and holler if we can help, Rock

            To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
              For any of you who are interested, I have verified that the map grids for the Northern California DeLorme Atlas and the new "all-of" California DeLorme Atlas are NOT the same. The top set of maps in the old Atlas range from map 22 to map 31. The top set of maps in the new Atlas range from map 22 to map 29. Obviously each map in the new Atlas covers more area since there are two fewer maps in the top row. This continues through the Atlas with the second row of the old Atlas being map 32 to map 41 and the second row in the new Atlas being maps 30 to map 37.

              Sierra Rat (Jack)