RE: [NUTS] Re: Tweeting on Twitter & Field Notes

  • Teri NevadaWolf
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
      Here's what I just got from the ?

      GC1Q6H5
      "baily's menagerie" (2.5/3)
      N 39. 08.503 W 119. 48.305
      Traditional Cache
      Other

      Rply Y to subscribe.

      Hurm, that's a bit faster than using wap.geocaching.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
        Correction, it does include coords in the text back!!
        Example:
        I sent this by text - GEOC ?15AXG
        Received this back:
                GC15AGX
                Getting a little Harder
                (1.5/1.5)
                N38. 37.319 W121. 16.130
                Traditional Cache
                Regular

        Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

        Profile for SNSpencer
        Want to know what I am up to?  Follow me on Twitter - Click Here

        If you do not wish to receive any future DIRECT emails from Jef simply reply to this message to let me know.  This does not apply to mailserv lists that you may subscribe to.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
          Very very cool, I have just been playing with it. The cord info instructions were a little weird but I figured it out and that's perfect. Won't help me much with puzzle ftfs but everything else will be awesome. Thanks for showing us this, I'm pretty stoked about it.
        • muniman_geo
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
            I just set my quick text to have the GEOC ?GC already so that all I have to do is finish the GC code. I made one for the ? and the !. But you could set them up for the others too. You could also use the quick text feature as a reference. Make one 1) ? - General Info 2) ! Get Hint. Etc.

            Gary Pope

            --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Ben Ford <ford.benjamin@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info....I just set myself up.It's pretty sweet as well as
            > fast....even better that work pays for unlimited texting.
            > Problem I'll have is remembering when to use @, ?, x and !.
            >
            > Thanks again.
            > bigben78
            >

            > On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Jef Spencer <snspencer@...> wrote:
            >

            > > That's the link I could not remember.
            > >
            > > Http://coord.info/textmark.aspx <http://coord.info/textmark.aspx>
            > >

            > > Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...
            > >
            > > [image: Profile for SNSpencer]<http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=20cbaf4c-8134-492c-b3ab-1f7b26cdf5bb>
            > > *Want to know what I am up to? Follow me on Twitter - **Click Here*<http://twitter.com/SNSpencer>
            > >
            > > If you do not wish to receive any future DIRECT emails from Jef simply
            > > that you may subscribe to.
            > > <https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=SNSpencer%40yahoo.com>
            > >

            > > ------------------------------

          • Ben Ford
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
              Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do SMS Templates with my Blackberry :(.  It is defiantly faster than wap.geocaching.com if you just want to get basic info.

              --
              Ben Ford
            • thrak@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                Ahhhhhhh........ I remember the night I went out for a couple of FTF tries and, while on the road, I got notification on my phone of 3 other brand new caches being published. I ran into Muniman (Gary) and asked if he was going for the other new caches just published that I had gotten notification of while driving to the one where we met. He looked surprised and a bit confused and asked how in the world I had gotten notification of the new caches while driving out to this one. I told him about instant phone notifications. I think it might have been the next day (or at least VERY shortly thereafter) that he scooped his first FTF using instant phone notification. D'Oh!!!  Since then he's told a few other folks (some have sent me mail asking about it). I'd guess this is going to be another one of those cases where a number of folks take off and RUN with it with great success. It's a new caching world out there for sure.

                If there are folks who might be tempted grumble about the way things are changing or to feel it's "unfair" that some folks can take advantage of this newer technology while most (myself included!) won't be benefiting from it, we need to remember: Updated technology allowed us to become geocachers in the first place. It will just keep on changing and advancing and there will always be those who are more on the cutting edge (heck, I'm somewhere on the back side and nowhere near the edge - cutting or otherwise) who will be armed with the latest tools.

                This is a pretty cool deal to be sharing and I know it's going to be of great benefit to some of the N.U.T.S. out there.

                (NOTE: I don't use Twitter, Face Book, My Space, or any IM  or social networking programs. Remember - I'm just a crabby OLD man. :-P )

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                  I'm on Twitter as well and also use it to enhance my geocaching experience.  It's fun to get tweets from other cachers about what they are up to as well as to let others know what I'm up to.

                  I can be followed here

                  BTW, new to the group - living and caching in the Coos Bay, OR area.  Love getting down to the NorCal area to camp and cache.

                  Mike