Skip to search.

Re: [NUTS] Here is a good Geocache story...

  • emsdawn21
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2004
      Thanks for the important info Ed....It nice to know that if I get
      shot and die while geocaching....that the very angry (and jealous I
      am assuming) muggle will get into some big trouble. Ed....will you
      protect me? LOL. J/K. But seriously, thanks Jim for the heads up and
      to Ed for the court info.

      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, <nelson143@s...> wrote:
      > Scary story!
      >
      > The idea that one can shoot a trespasser just for trespassing is
      no longer true.

      > There has to be an element of "reasonable fear of impending death
      or serious harm" to use lethal options to take a life.
      > This holds true even for your home. The "kill 'em and drag 'em
      inside" myth won't stand up in court. There has to be that element
      of reasonable fear of your life (unless entry is forced, then it's
      assumed).

      > Had the guy shot a geocacher just for wandering onto his property,
      he would have wound up in serious trouble (unless there was no
      witnesses). There is a saying..."You only need 5 bullets. One for
      the job, and 4 for the witnesses".

      > I'd love to know what cache it was, so I know which to stay away
      from...

      > Ed

      someone called him on the phone the other day asking if he knew
      anything about GPS & some called geocaching?

      > Ben replied that there was a guy that worked here that is into
      it. What would he like to know? The man on the phone told him that
      he stopped to people near his property & asked what they were doing.
      They said that they were geocaching. Then they tried to explain what
      it was. He told them to just go ahead, but what the property line.
      He also told Ben that he had got his gun out at first, to shoot at
      them, but they didn't come on to his property, so he just put it
      away.
      > So, keep your heads down out there...
      > Jim
      >

      > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!