FTF competition - Chico

  • johnsomc
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9 9:36 AM
      For those who participated in Quad's FTF Curse, FTF competition or wanted to or haven't even heard about it but think it sounds like fun, here's your chance again! We are trying to get a list of people together who think that an FTF competition would be a fun way to get involved, stay active and creative within the caching world of Chico.

      Here are the basic premises of the competition. The first person will put out a cache (person TBD) and the FTF the cache not only "wins" that round but they are asked to put out the second cache in the series. Unlike the first FTF comp, we are trying to figure out a way to score this so that everyone who finds it is scored and to compete you must find all the caches in the competition at some point. Scoring, which we are still working on, will be somewhat like golf... lowest score wins. Initially the plan was that FTF=0, 2TF=1, 3TF=2 and so forth. There are some bugs with this but we are working on it.

      This was just a brief overlay of the competition, so now we are just looking for some feedback as to who wants to play. Respond here or send a message to me on geocaching.com, either way will work!
    • thrak
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9 10:43 AM
        In the past I was pretty active in the FTF arena. These days, due to job constraints and physical issues, I've pretty much dropped out as far as FTF attempts are concerned. Heck, there must be more than 40 caches right in the Chico area I haven't even gone out to find yet - let alone tried for the FTF.

        BTW -- you didn't include your caching name so, for many, it would be very difficult to contact you via geocaching.com

        johnsomc wrote:

[...]

      • quadmft
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10 9:24 AM
          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "johnsomc" <johnsomc@...> wrote:

          > For those who participated in Quad's FTF Curse, FTF competition or
          wanted to or haven't even heard about it but think it sounds like fun,
          here's your chance again! We are trying to get a list of people together
          who think that an FTF competition would be a fun way to get involved,
          stay active and creative within the caching world of Chico.

          I like the idea of making the challenge a running total of scoring, many
          times people cannot drop what they are doing to fun out for an FTF -
          then people can join in later and still be part of the fun.
          Participate, be part of the scoring etc.

          A couple things I've been thinking about are:

          1) How would we keep track of the scoring? -obviously when people log in
          on the cache they would say four, fifth, sixth to find etc., but where
          would /could the totals be kept?

          2) We all like naming our own caches, and a descriptive title promotes
          better frames of reference. Naming somthing XXX #1, XXX #2, is not as
          fun. So the question is- How do we code each cache so that everybody
          knows it is part of the competition series?

          3) How should the scoring actually work? When someone is the FTF on a
          cache they get 1 point, each subsequent finder get one more point(up to
          how many?). So one adantage to being an FTF is that you get zero for
          the cache you place when you are the FTF. SO for two caches the FTF
          total is 1 point - is that too much of an advantage being that if the
          same person is the 2ndon both caches then their total would be 4 points.
          Or is that the reason to trey for the FTF ? Worth discussing.

          We are just wanting to make this fun for more than just a few people.

          There are lots of big brains in this group who can add some good ideas
          and angles - please jump in.

          Courtney
        • thrak
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10 9:45 AM
            My suggestion is that everybody who gets a FTF send me $5 and I'll be sure to put it to some good use - pizza, scotch, bourbon, beer, etc.  Sound good?

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10 10:41 AM
              lol my mistake, thought I did. geocaching name is John&Amber
            • Roamingbull
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11 8:44 AM
                I like the idea of a level playing field for an FTF. I came up with the Grate Race series and I hope to do one again soon. Quads FTF series put out a lot of really good caches. And there have been other caches that prompted great hides as well. Bluecruz cache of caches was really a superb idea that got a lot of well constructed hides in the field.

                I do have only one concern about requiring placement of caches as a result of a find.

                Cache saturation is a possibility. Not that a lot of new caches are not fun, but when folks get to putting out a bunch of hides as a requirement rather than a self initiated hide it can lead to a lot of carbon copy caches quickly placed and easily muggled. These tend to take away good locations that someone may have intended to use for a really well thought out cache. In areas like Chico, good areas are becoming harder to find as there are a lot out there.

                Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea. I just see this as one possible consideration.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11 8:48 AM