Re: [NUTS] YBFTanky

  • bnbschneider2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
      Terrible news to get while we are down here in Az.  We will miss him and our prayers go out to Pat and family

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
        I am so sorry to hear this bad news. I didn't know tanky well, but he was a great guy and one of Molly's favorite people to run into out on the trail. My heart goes out to Pat and his friends. He will really be missed.
      • Bill Hoke
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
          He will be sorely missed. Awesome Man. Pat,Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

          Bill and Lore

          > I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening
          > due to a heart attack.
          > He will be missed by many.
          >
          > Chuck thewoodchuck
        • Sean Dunbar
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
            The caching community and Nevada County Search and Rescue has lost a great friend. I will miss his clever caches (and correspondence when I couldn't find the darn things!) RIP, Tanky!

            Sean (seanlee1969)

            --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "CHUCK MURPHEY" <cmurphey@...> wrote:

            > I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening due to a heart attack.
            > He will be missed by many.
            >
            > Chuck thewoodchuck

          • whitetail_39
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
              We were sadden to hear the news of Bert's passing. Our heartfelt prayers go out to Pat and her family at this very sad time. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him.
              Don & Kricket
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                I had so hoped when I say the subject YBFTanky that the message was going to tell me about another of Bert and Pat's milestones. We are so saddened to hear this news. Bert has always held a special place in our hearts and we have very fond memories of the many adventures that we have enjoyed with him. We are so sad for Pat and their family.
                Mike, Gail, and Maggie

                I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening due to a heart attack.
                He will be missed by many.

                Chuck thewoodchuck
              • Lindda Maeding
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                  We couldn't be more sorry for his friends and family our prayers are for you all.  Through our early caching times, we crossed his logs and caches often.  I have a couple of his "signature tanks" right here now.  We are so pleased that he was here to enrichen our lives through this shared sport.  It is a mighty thing when even in such a way a person contributes to the life of others.

                  I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening due to a heart attack.
                  He will be missed by many.

                  Chuck thewoodchuck

                • Lowell Gresham
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                    Sorry to hear the sad news. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family.
                    Team LegGoes

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                      Sorry to hear the sad news. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family.
                      Team LegGoes
                      We couldn't be more sorry for his friends and family our prayers are for you all.  Through our early caching times, we crossed his logs and caches often.  I have a couple of his "signature tanks" right here now.  We are so pleased that he was here to enrichen our lives through this shared sport.  It is a mighty thing when even in such a way a person contributes to the life of others.

                      I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening due to a heart attack.
                      He will be missed by many.

                      Chuck thewoodchuck

                    • BootyBuddies
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                        We have many fond memories of Bert including GeoWoodstock III, rockhounding on hisfriend's claim, and his dymo labelmaker special caches.  Who knew that the last time we saw it would be the last time.  He was a distinguished man and will be missed by the Geocaching Family.  Our thoughts are with Pat.

                        Bill and Debby

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                          I'm in Santa Rosa on a "work trip" for my job. I checked my email and saw an email with the title of YFBTanky. I thought to my self, "COOL! I wonder what milestone Tanky has achieved!!" (Yeah, I know. Weirdly enough though, I really think that way.)

                          I read the text of the email and my heart sank.

                          Tanky was good to me on our first meeting. I was a n00b with no standing. I was nobody at all. Tanky treated me like someone he had known for years. He was NICE to me and, believe me, that isn't something I'm really used to. (Ok, he was nice to me and gave me a pretty dang hard time too. In my book, being able to achieve both of those with a new acquaintance is a pretty good indication of a nice guy.)

                          I didn't know Tanky well and, to claim differently, would be a gross untruth. However, he was always good to me each time we met. He was also very gentlemanly to my wife. That counts for a lot more with me than managing to put up with ME.  (I almost said he was always a gentleman to me but I thought of the wicked grin he'd have gotten at the thought of that, and the barbed comments he directed at me a couple of times while his grin negated the negativity of the comment.)  I really LIKED this guy even though I hardly knew him.

                          It's kind of a weird thing to mourn the loss of someone you hardly knew but I will genuinly grieve for the unexpected passing of Tanky. I remember laughing like a fool when I first heard what the "YFB" part of his name was all about. When I finally found a "genuine Tanky Tank" in a cache I put it into my collection of treasured caching treasures and have saved it ever since.

                          I know that some will think I'm just offering a passing and cavilier regret for the passing of Tanky. They would be wrong. While it's true I don't know about the bulk of his life, the small bit of his life that touched me through geocaching made me genuinely like him and feel that he was a man I would be proud to call a friend. Sadly, I will never be able to claim that distinction. It's my loss.

                          One of the people I supported in my professional capacity (who recenly retired) initially expressed surprise when she found out I had recently (in 2005) met Bert. She expressed a great deal of affection for both Tanky and (ok, don't smack me!) "Mrs. Tanky". She told me they were really great people. What a small world it is.

                          -------------- Original message from "CHUCK MURPHEY" <cmurphey@...>: --------------

                          I am sorry to say that Tanky (Bert) passed away last evening due to a heart attack.
                          He will be missed by many.

                          Chuck thewoodchuck

                        • Roger Seaman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
                            Caching won't be the same without Bert.  Tanky was one of the first cachers we met and he always was special to us.  Pat, you  and your family are in our thoughts.  Our hearts are heavy, but we are so glad that we had "Tanky" as a friend.  Roger and Jan

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 17, 2009
                              We are so shocked and saddened by the loss of our dear friend.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to Pat and their family. He was a great man and a true friend to those whose lives he touched. We will miss him very much, Jacqi, Don, and Michelle

                              To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
                              From: cmurphey@...
                              Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:28:29 -0700