Official Geocaching iPhone App Coming From Groundspeak

  • Teeje
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
      http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204713

      Sep 26 2008, 09:27 AM
      Post #1
      workin' on it
      Group Icon
      Group: Site Wide Moderators
      Joined: 1-June 00
      From: Emerald City, USA

      I'm relieved to announce that we have submitted our first geocaching
      application for the iPhone to Apple yesterday. Depending on how
      quickly they get to reviewing the application we should see it in the
      Apple Store within 2 weeks. The cost of the application is $9.99 and
      has the functionality you need to look up and seek out caches using
      the networking and location-based features of the iPhone 3G. It also
      works with the iPod Touch and first gen iPhone though you will need
      WiFi for the Touch and the compass won't work on the first generation
      iPhone (naturally).

      The first release will not have the feature to log caches or filter
      hides and finds, but it will be included as a free upgrade as we add
      that functionality - hopefully over the next month. We wanted to get
      the application out as soon as possible since the demand was so high
      for it.

      Some non-obvious features:

      * You can look up travel bugs and find out their goal while out on
      the trail
      * Saved Items allows you to save a cache listing and navigate to
      it, even when you are out of network range
      * The application starts in beginner mode which only shows
      traditional caches. Advanced shows all types
      * To help with speed issues on, say, the Edge network, you can
      restrict the number of results to 5, 10, 15 or 20

      We'll be translating the application into multiple languages as well
      to support our international community.
    • Jenn Oates
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
        Sweet!