Re: [NUTS] Fires

  • Gary McElroy
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
      Blucruz & Family is fine other than not being able to
      breathe. We had left on vacation Monday morning for
      Prineville Or. and early Tuesday we got the call that
      the fire had acted up and they had put us under a
      precautionay evacuation again. We left Prineville at
      3:10pm and made it back to Magalia by 10:30pm.

      I have a 2500gal tank and a gas powered water pump
      hooked up to sprinklers on top of and surrounding the
      house. If the fire looks like it's coming up the hill
      to us then the pump gets turned on and it basically
      rains in a 100' circle around our house.

      Everything is packed in the travel trailer just in
      case though.

      GaRy

      --- Holly <renoplummers@...> wrote:

      > It's so good to hear from some of you guys! (Thaks
      > for the update
      > Rock!) I know it's far but we have a spare bedroom
      > and a whole front
      > length of the house (if someone wanted to park a
      > trailer) The air
      > quality has been hurrendous here too but we don't
      > have any immediate
      > fires in the area. If we did, you wouldn't be able
      > to see them! LOL! I
      > hope Blucruz and any others that are in the line are
      > ok? Again our
      > thoughts and prayers are with you!

    • dawn mateo
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
        No....you can't get to quincy from 70 yet.  There is still a fire on the hwy.  You have to drive 36 all the way or go thru reno.

        FireDawn

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
          Also-
            I have monday thru fridays off so if anyone needs help, just call me and I can be down there in a few hours (monday-fri only).  530-310-0207.  I have a Nissan Xterra that can fit a lot of items or a few kennels of animals.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008
            Thank you so much, all of you, for your offerings of help, even from our East Coast NUTS!! You guys really ROCK!! Cachers are just the best!! I think we have things covered here, and it sounds like BluCruz has things under control (we want one of those sprayer thingies too) :o). But it sure is nice to know there are so many great folks out there ready to help if necessary.

            As y'all probably know, the fires turned deadly with the discovery of one body in Concow yesterday. Those folks were under "immediate evacuation" more than once and guess the person decided to ride it out the second time. The news calls it "mandatory evacuation", I think in California you can't be made to leave your home, only advised! So some people get lucky when they stay, and some don't. So sad!

            Our little county of Butte (no not Butt) has lost around 150 homes between the Ophir, Humboldt and Camp Fires (a combination of several fires). We now have firefighters not only from the western states but as far away as Florida in the US, and now they are coming from Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada and even Greece!! About 50,000 acres have burned in Butte County alone. There are similar fires in Shasta, Tehama, Trinity, Plumas, and other nearby counties., but less of a threat (so far) to high population areas.

            The winds have been pretty helpful to the firefighters lately, which has allowed them get a bit of an edge of the fire. That could change with shifting winds at any time, so we are not exactly out of the woods (so to speak). The fire has burned right down to the east side of the Feather River all along the base of our ridge from Magalia almost to the south of town. Paradise is just up the steep canyon wall to the west. It's a "dirty burn" which means there is still alot of fuel to be consumed. The terrain is 5 stars, you really need a rope to get in there... impossible for fire fighting except from the air. The smoke has been so bad that each day there has been only a few hour window of opportunity for the helicopters to get into the area. They hit it with all they got when there's opportunity.

            Guess there is some silver lining for all this: wonderful folks from everywhere offering to help; we've made some choices about what materially is important to us; cleared some debris in the yard that's been ignored for the sake of caching; there is a nice layer of ash everywhere, which we hear is good for the garden; might be some great fishing spots on the east side of the River opening up; our entire community seems to be stepping forward to help one another and show their appreciation to the firefighters; and a renewed appreciation for what we got and how easily it could all be gone. We got our share of politicians visiting too... now if they would all visit at the same time they might be able to blow hard and push the fire back on itself!! :o)

            Today some of the evacs have been lifted or reduced in seriousness. As of now we are one block out of the precautionary evac zone. Some of the town's "immediate evac" (about 10,000) have been allowed to go home. The forcast calls for possiblity of lightning storms this weekend. That's how this most recent "complex" of fires began. If it comes with some serious rain that would be helpful, if not... look out! Once again we are at about 400 on air quality index today (that "particulates"/ cubic something). That's on a 500 scale! It's usually about 10-15 around here. 300 and above is hazardous to everyone. Guess it gets in the lungs and has no way to get back out, Yuck!

            Again, we have never had so much appreciation for all the emergency folks, firefighters, police, and volunteers. Be sure to wave, tip the hat, or simply "thumbs up" when you see these folk. They are doing a tremendous job. There's just nothing like this to make one realize how special they are. We include all of you in that appreciation. Thank you again for offering to volunteer your time, homes and property, transportation, and for your thoughts and prayers for all that are being impacted by the fires.

            Take care and cache happy, Rock&Crystal

            To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
            From: emsdawn21@...
            Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:30:43 -0700

            Also-
              I have monday thru fridays off so if anyone needs help, just call me and I can be down there in a few hours (monday-fri only).  530-310-0207.  I have a Nissan Xterra that can fit a lot of items or a few kennels of animals.

            No....you can't get to quincy from 70 yet.  There is still a fire on the hwy.  You have to drive 36 all the way or go thru reno.

            FireDawn

            Don't know if you can get to Quincy, but we have 5 acres and could house
            some trailers and tents. Smoke here is pretty bad also with some ash
            falling, but we are not under threat of fire.

            KEELSX6
            Michelle 281-6511

            > Of course I am vonunteering a few relatives unsolisitaded but if need be
            > we have some folks in Thermalito that can house a trailer or two and if
            > you want I'm sure that some of RCGDS? folks can house a few more. It would
            > be one heck of a commute (been there done that ;) but let us know if we
            > can help.
            >
            > Jeo

          • Steve Keely
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008
              You can come over from the Oroville area on Hwy 162 - the Oroville Quincy
              hwy. It takes about 2 hours. That brings you up past Bucks Lake and down
              into Quincy.

              Glad to hear things are looking a bit better in Paradise.

              KEELSX6

            • lucinda s rafter
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008

                Rock & Crystal and all others in the area afected; our prayers are with and God bless. Please be carefull and take care of one and other! I only wish I could help with more than a prayer!

                Luc Pockets

                Lucinda

                From: emsdawn21@yahoo. com
                Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:30:43 -0700

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                  Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area, except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word. Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so great! Rock&Crystal
                • Jenn Oates
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                    I'm glad to hear it!

                  • bnbschneider2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                      We are so glad to here via our e-mail the good news.We on are way to BC,and presnetly in white salmom wash.whata view of Mt. Hood .We will check on you nuts the next place we have wifi  Bud andBarb  OE3 Retiree

                      Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area, except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word. Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so great! Rock&Crystal

                    • Michael Brill
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                        --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

                        > I'm glad to hear it!
                        >

                        > On Jul 13, 2008, at 12:42 PM, <redhawk2853@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and
                        > > prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire
                        > > near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the
                        > > Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being
                        > > consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area,
                        > > except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along
                        > > Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under
                        > > immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line
                        > > around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment
                        > > here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up
                        > > Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No
                        > > one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word.
                        > > Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so
                        > > great! Rock&Crystal

                        Fantastic news! It looks like many, many prayers have been answered.
                        We'll continue to keep y'all in our prayers.

                        Cache & Keri