RE: [NUTS] Fires

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hey Holly and everyone, thanks for the concern. Pretty much from Clark Rd east through Paradise is either under "immediate threat"  or "precautionary evacuation", that affects some 13,000 to 14,000 of us (about half the town). Magalia is in the same boat with immediate threat east of Skyway. The firefighters have done an awesome job of holding the line down on the Feather River for days now, and for the most part, winds and weather have been with us, except for the smoke effect which has created "hazardous" (for everyone) air quality for weeks now. You can chew the air outside. Two days ago we awoke to a nuclear winter style of ash storm with white, gray and black soot everywhere. We had a rain of singed, to completely burned oak and mazanita leaves and pine needles. The cars, house and ground are covered with it.

      The threat to Paradise never really went away... and has been with us for one month today with the start of the Humboldt Fire. As soon as that fire was out we had the Lightning Complex of fires here and in the Concow area. They fell off the news radar until the winds stirred and burned 50 house and structures in Concow 2 days ago. If the fire jumps Feather River that will be the "OH-Sh** line for us. It is two miles as the crow flies from here, but once it hits the bottom of our ridge there is nothing but dead and dry fuel from two years of drought and about an 80 degree slope straight into Paradise. They have fire crews stationed all along the streets off of Pentz Rd ready for a last stand if necessary. From there it is all homes and trees and brush across our town. We have firefighters from all over CA and the western states helping with this fight. God bless 'em!! The town has opened their hearts and homes to them and have demonstrated their appreciation all over town.

      We are on the west side of the evacuation grid. We are just off Clark Rd.  (you can visit "Night Eyes Too" on GC.com (no, don't go looking for it now!!) :o) to see our immediate area). Cal Fire uses Clark Rd as the cut off boundary and we are west of that. The town of Paradise however, includes us in the precautionary evacuation since Tuesday. Depends on where you check the evac line is either 1) on Skyway to the west of us , 2) at our back fence, or 3) at Clark Rd, one block east. It's been confusing. We did get 2 reverse 911 calls on Monday, which was confusing since there was no message or answer when I tried to return the call  (caller ID). If it hadn't been for the callerID we wouldn't have known the "CityWatch Alert" had called. We think they still have some bugs to work out on that system! Others in the area we know of are BluCruz who has been under precautionary evac since this whole thing began, Yar?Yar! does or did live up here, BluMotMot has her animal hospital here, and DJTeam lives just west of Pentz. Who am I forgetting???

      Not sure what others have done, but we have our trailer hooked up, semi packed, and ready to roll. PDA, GPS and geocoins are safe, as is the lap top (we all have our priorities, ya know). :o)  Think we'll pack some cache containers as there will be alot of replacement work after this is over. We've had several invitation for places to stay if forced out... cachers are so awesome!! :o)

      We had hoped to have an event for perhaps a breakfast set for the NUTS group for next weekend, but the deadline came and went as we have been pretty distracted with the smoke and fires. Perhaps we can do something when things clear up. We have some special gifts for those NUTS who volunteered and helped with GWVI and we'd love to get those out to you (yep, they are safe, one of the first things we packed!).   :o)

      Please hold the good thought for all in the fire areas. We will of course be monitoring things here in Paradise/Magalia as we can, and if anyone has loved ones up here and wants to know the evac status you can give us a call at 872-9456. We are on landline so if you can't get through I'm online for a short time. Transportation is limited and attached to a big old 24 foot trailer, which they don't want us driving around, but if there is an emergency with friends or family let us know if we can help!!

      Stay safe all and cache happy, Rock

      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      From: renoplummers@...
      Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:08:01 +0000
      Subject: [NUTS] Fires

      Wow! I saw on the news (national news at that) last night that they
      have evacuated pretty much the whole town of Paradise, our thoughts
      are with you and I hope you are all ok!

    • Jenn Oates

        From: renoplummers@ nvbell.net
        Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:08:01 +0000

      • alirose114@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008
          Don,

          So glad to get this email today.  I have been thinking about you guys the last couple days and wondering how everyone is there.  Please keep us updated on your status if possible.

          Alisa

          From: renoplummers@ nvbell.net
          Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:08:01 +0000

          Wow! I saw on the news (national news at that) last night that they
          have evacuated pretty much the whole town of Paradise, our thoughts
          are with you and I hope you are all ok!

        • geospyder
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008

            This is from my brother who lives in Magalia just a little over a mile north of Rock & Crystal.

            Well here we go again, more fires.  At this time we have burned about 90,000 acres in and around Paradise .  There is so much smoke at times it looks like night time at 9am.  The air quality is in the hazardous category.

            I have been on the line for the last three days, this week, and four days last week.  We wear breathing masks and in this 100+ degree weather it is pretty bad.  Most of us are really worn down, except for the younger guys (under 60), who seem to be doing OK.  We think we will be off until midnight Saturday, unless the wind changes.

            We can see the flames on the East side of town but so far it has not crossed the river.  If it does cross then we will evacuate the entire town.  Right now we are under a pre-cautionary evacuation alert but have no where to go.  Ruth and Eddie would head to Vacaville while I stay until the PD is evacuated.  We have help from towns across California from San Diego to the Oregon border.  Most of the firefighters have been on the line for six weeks or more.  They keep moving from fire to fire.  WE'RE NOT BARELY INTO THE FIRE SEASON.  The season usually ends in late September or October.  It is going to be a long hot summer.  We are looking forward to getting back to Missouri and some clean air and maybe a swimming pool.”

            Jim (geospyder)

          • JeoMc5@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
              Of course I am vonunteering a few relatives unsolisitaded but if need be we have some folks in Thermalito that can house a trailer or two and if you want I'm sure that some of RCGDS  folks can house a few more. It would be one heck of a commute (been there done that ;) but let us know if we can help.

              Jeo

              From: renoplummers@ nvbell.net
              Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:08:01 +0000

              Wow! I saw on the news (national news at that) last night that they
              have evacuated pretty much the whole town of Paradise, our thoughts
              are with you and I hope you are all ok!

            • Steve Keely
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
                Don't know if you can get to Quincy, but we have 5 acres and could house
                some trailers and tents. Smoke here is pretty bad also with some ash
                falling, but we are not under threat of fire.

                KEELSX6
                Michelle 281-6511

              • Holly
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
                  It's so good to hear from some of you guys! (Thaks for the update
                  Rock!) I know it's far but we have a spare bedroom and a whole front
                  length of the house (if someone wanted to park a trailer) The air
                  quality has been hurrendous here too but we don't have any immediate
                  fires in the area. If we did, you wouldn't be able to see them! LOL! I
                  hope Blucruz and any others that are in the line are ok? Again our
                  thoughts and prayers are with you!
                • Gary McElroy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
                    Blucruz & Family is fine other than not being able to
                    breathe. We had left on vacation Monday morning for
                    Prineville Or. and early Tuesday we got the call that
                    the fire had acted up and they had put us under a
                    precautionay evacuation again. We left Prineville at
                    3:10pm and made it back to Magalia by 10:30pm.

                    I have a 2500gal tank and a gas powered water pump
                    hooked up to sprinklers on top of and surrounding the
                    house. If the fire looks like it's coming up the hill
                    to us then the pump gets turned on and it basically
                    rains in a 100' circle around our house.

                    Everything is packed in the travel trailer just in
                    case though.

                    GaRy

                    --- Holly <renoplummers@...> wrote:

                    > It's so good to hear from some of you guys! (Thaks
                    > for the update
                    > Rock!) I know it's far but we have a spare bedroom
                    > and a whole front
                    > length of the house (if someone wanted to park a
                    > trailer) The air
                    > quality has been hurrendous here too but we don't
                    > have any immediate
                    > fires in the area. If we did, you wouldn't be able
                    > to see them! LOL! I
                    > hope Blucruz and any others that are in the line are
                    > ok? Again our
                    > thoughts and prayers are with you!

                  • dawn mateo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
                      No....you can't get to quincy from 70 yet.  There is still a fire on the hwy.  You have to drive 36 all the way or go thru reno.

                      FireDawn

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 11, 2008
                        Also-
                          I have monday thru fridays off so if anyone needs help, just call me and I can be down there in a few hours (monday-fri only).  530-310-0207.  I have a Nissan Xterra that can fit a lot of items or a few kennels of animals.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008
                          Thank you so much, all of you, for your offerings of help, even from our East Coast NUTS!! You guys really ROCK!! Cachers are just the best!! I think we have things covered here, and it sounds like BluCruz has things under control (we want one of those sprayer thingies too) :o). But it sure is nice to know there are so many great folks out there ready to help if necessary.

                          As y'all probably know, the fires turned deadly with the discovery of one body in Concow yesterday. Those folks were under "immediate evacuation" more than once and guess the person decided to ride it out the second time. The news calls it "mandatory evacuation", I think in California you can't be made to leave your home, only advised! So some people get lucky when they stay, and some don't. So sad!

                          Our little county of Butte (no not Butt) has lost around 150 homes between the Ophir, Humboldt and Camp Fires (a combination of several fires). We now have firefighters not only from the western states but as far away as Florida in the US, and now they are coming from Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada and even Greece!! About 50,000 acres have burned in Butte County alone. There are similar fires in Shasta, Tehama, Trinity, Plumas, and other nearby counties., but less of a threat (so far) to high population areas.

                          The winds have been pretty helpful to the firefighters lately, which has allowed them get a bit of an edge of the fire. That could change with shifting winds at any time, so we are not exactly out of the woods (so to speak). The fire has burned right down to the east side of the Feather River all along the base of our ridge from Magalia almost to the south of town. Paradise is just up the steep canyon wall to the west. It's a "dirty burn" which means there is still alot of fuel to be consumed. The terrain is 5 stars, you really need a rope to get in there... impossible for fire fighting except from the air. The smoke has been so bad that each day there has been only a few hour window of opportunity for the helicopters to get into the area. They hit it with all they got when there's opportunity.

                          Guess there is some silver lining for all this: wonderful folks from everywhere offering to help; we've made some choices about what materially is important to us; cleared some debris in the yard that's been ignored for the sake of caching; there is a nice layer of ash everywhere, which we hear is good for the garden; might be some great fishing spots on the east side of the River opening up; our entire community seems to be stepping forward to help one another and show their appreciation to the firefighters; and a renewed appreciation for what we got and how easily it could all be gone. We got our share of politicians visiting too... now if they would all visit at the same time they might be able to blow hard and push the fire back on itself!! :o)

                          Today some of the evacs have been lifted or reduced in seriousness. As of now we are one block out of the precautionary evac zone. Some of the town's "immediate evac" (about 10,000) have been allowed to go home. The forcast calls for possiblity of lightning storms this weekend. That's how this most recent "complex" of fires began. If it comes with some serious rain that would be helpful, if not... look out! Once again we are at about 400 on air quality index today (that "particulates"/ cubic something). That's on a 500 scale! It's usually about 10-15 around here. 300 and above is hazardous to everyone. Guess it gets in the lungs and has no way to get back out, Yuck!

                          Again, we have never had so much appreciation for all the emergency folks, firefighters, police, and volunteers. Be sure to wave, tip the hat, or simply "thumbs up" when you see these folk. They are doing a tremendous job. There's just nothing like this to make one realize how special they are. We include all of you in that appreciation. Thank you again for offering to volunteer your time, homes and property, transportation, and for your thoughts and prayers for all that are being impacted by the fires.

                          Take care and cache happy, Rock&Crystal

                          To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
                          From: emsdawn21@...
                          Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:30:43 -0700

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008
                            You can come over from the Oroville area on Hwy 162 - the Oroville Quincy
                            hwy. It takes about 2 hours. That brings you up past Bucks Lake and down
                            into Quincy.

                            Glad to hear things are looking a bit better in Paradise.

                            KEELSX6

                          • lucinda s rafter
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 12, 2008

                              Rock & Crystal and all others in the area afected; our prayers are with and God bless. Please be carefull and take care of one and other! I only wish I could help with more than a prayer!

                              Luc Pockets

                              Lucinda

                              From: emsdawn21@yahoo. com
                              Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:30:43 -0700

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                                Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area, except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word. Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so great! Rock&Crystal
                              • Jenn Oates
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                                  I'm glad to hear it!

                                • bnbschneider2@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                                    We are so glad to here via our e-mail the good news.We on are way to BC,and presnetly in white salmom wash.whata view of Mt. Hood .We will check on you nuts the next place we have wifi  Bud andBarb  OE3 Retiree

                                    Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area, except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word. Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so great! Rock&Crystal

                                  • Michael Brill
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
                                      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm glad to hear it!
                                      >

                                      > On Jul 13, 2008, at 12:42 PM, <redhawk2853@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Just a quick update and sigh of relief. Obviously your thoughts and
                                      > > prayers have worked. The weather has cooperated and the Camp Fire
                                      > > near Paradise is reduced to spot fires on the east side of the
                                      > > Feather River. The fire did NOT jump and the fuel is being
                                      > > consumed. All evacuations have been lifted in the Paradise area,
                                      > > except for a precautionary evac on the south end of town along
                                      > > Pentz Rd. to the Durham-Pentz Highway. Concow is still under
                                      > > immediate evacuation notice, as they try to get a containment line
                                      > > around the fire. The focus of some of the personnel and equipment
                                      > > here can now shift to the Concow area and the Belden Fire up
                                      > > Highway 70. It's actually cool and somewhat clear here today. No
                                      > > one is letting down their guard and vigilance is the watch word.
                                      > > Thanks again for all the offerings of support. You folks are so
                                      > > great! Rock&Crystal

                                      Fantastic news! It looks like many, many prayers have been answered.
                                      We'll continue to keep y'all in our prayers.

                                      Cache & Keri