RE: [NUTS] Of stash notes and contact information...

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
      Well said my friend. 'Course it doesn't help if the bomb squad shows up and blows up the container without viewing the stash note, or worse yet, they take it hostage and use it for "training purposes"! LOL How humiliating! I know the cache owner (and the cache) would have much preferred that it went out in a blaze of glory. BTW, do you still have any of those pictures? I'd like to create a "Memorial to the Memorial Cache" and would love to use one on the cache page. Probably a REAL good idea to identify those caches on the outside to, not that it will necessarily be read or believed. LOL  R&C

      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelson143@...
      Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 08:31:56 -0700
      Subject: [NUTS] Of stash notes and contact information...

      I was reminded of the importance of having a stash note and contact information in your cache over the weekend.

      On Friday, I got an email from a worker with the Butte Creek Watershed Conservancy, who stated his crew was cleaning the Lindo Channel and found a geocache. Where the  cache was hidden was being removed, and he wanted to get the cache back to the owner. He took the cache (a decon container, from the description) home for safekeeping. I wasn't sure which cache it was, but he said he found it near "1st and Verbeena", which narrowed it down to one of 3 or 4 caches.
      Yesterday, Julie and I went to his house and picked up the cache. It IS a decon container with a few items and a log sheet for "Wasted Cache #2", by Bobolu.
      Luckily, Bobolu had placed a stash note in the cache explaining what the container was, and why it was there. The muggle worker who found it Googled "Geocaching Chico", and ran across my email address. Without a stash note, the cache could have easily have been thrown away. I emailed Bobolu, and he has disabled the cache until a new hiding place can be found.
      Lesson learned; always include a stash note in all your caches with contact information, even if it's just www.geocaching.com, so muggles who find your cache know what to do with it and know who to contact. Don't rely just on stickers,  tape, or writing on the outside of the container which can fall off or become unreadable over time. It could save your cache, like it did Bobolus'!
      Happy caching!
      Ed & Julie

    • geospyder
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008

        Most likely already done but just in case it slipped people’s minds…

        Have all the local law enforcement agencies in and around the Wheatland area been updated about the influx of suspicious people sneaking around?

        Jim (geospyder)

      • medic208cacher
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "geospyder" <geospyder@...> wrote:

          > Most likely already done but just in case it slipped people's minds.
          >

          > Have all the local law enforcement agencies in and around the
          Wheatland area
          > been updated about the influx of suspicious people sneaking around?
          >

          > Jim (geospyder)

          That's a great idea, if it hasn't already been done. We had a couple
          of members on our volunteer team at GW5 last year who were Law
          Enforcement Officers and we also made contact w/ a few other local
          agencies just letting them know what Geocaching was and that there
          would be numerous people out and about looking for caches at all
          times of the day. Thankfully, with that preplanning we didn't have
          any problems with the police during the event.

          Doug/medic208