Re: Etiquette question

  • Michael Brill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "usafwife4ever" <usafwife4ever@...> wrote:

      > For the first time today, I was seeking a cache and came upon another
      > cacher also seeking the FTF. They were obviously looking for it and
      > it was out in the middle of nowhere ;-) I drove down the road and
      > turned around then pulled off the road and waited for a moment when
      > it seemed like they were having difficulties and were probably afraid
      > we were mugglers I decided to come back later.
      >
      > What is the etiquette when you are seeking a cache and come upon
      > someone else also seeking it?
      >
      > *Do you introduce yourself and join the search?
      >
      > *Do you sit back and wait for them to find and leave?
      >
      > *Do you you leave and come back?
      >
      > We want the first FTF so I am guessing this situation might arise
      > more often.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Trish

      We have come upon geocachers hunting for FTF many times in the past
      and we typically say something like, "HEY, put your hands in the air
      and drop your GPSr" This is a good way of meeting folks that are
      interested in our hobby.

      We believe caching is about people and although we have had hundreds
      of FTFs, we prefer making new geo friends in our travels.

      C & K
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
        Hi there and welcome! To your very thoughtful question, we think most folks like running into others at cache sites. It's always fun to get "busted" by, (or bust) fellow cachers... kind of a "gotcha" feeling, followed by introductions and "oh yeah, seen your logs around" or "did one of your caches earlier", etc. If in doubt just ask if they mind some extra eyes or would they prefer a shot at the FTF alone. Co-FTFs are always a nice way to work it, when/if it's found. Cache happy, Rock&Crystal