Etiquette question

  • usafwife4ever
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2008
      For the first time today, I was seeking a cache and came upon another
      cacher also seeking the FTF. They were obviously looking for it and
      it was out in the middle of nowhere ;-) I drove down the road and
      turned around then pulled off the road and waited for a moment when
      it seemed like they were having difficulties and were probably afraid
      we were mugglers I decided to come back later.

      What is the etiquette when you are seeking a cache and come upon
      someone else also seeking it?

      *Do you introduce yourself and join the search?

      *Do you sit back and wait for them to find and leave?

      *Do you you leave and come back?

      We want the first FTF so I am guessing this situation might arise
      more often.

      Thanks,

      Trish
    • thrak

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
            --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "usafwife4ever" <usafwife4ever@...> wrote:

            > For the first time today, I was seeking a cache and came upon another
            > cacher also seeking the FTF. They were obviously looking for it and
            > it was out in the middle of nowhere ;-) I drove down the road and
            > turned around then pulled off the road and waited for a moment when
            > it seemed like they were having difficulties and were probably afraid
            > we were mugglers I decided to come back later.
            >
            > What is the etiquette when you are seeking a cache and come upon
            > someone else also seeking it?
            >
            > *Do you introduce yourself and join the search?
            >
            > *Do you sit back and wait for them to find and leave?
            >
            > *Do you you leave and come back?
            >
            > We want the first FTF so I am guessing this situation might arise
            > more often.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Trish

            We have come upon geocachers hunting for FTF many times in the past
            and we typically say something like, "HEY, put your hands in the air
            and drop your GPSr" This is a good way of meeting folks that are
            interested in our hobby.

            We believe caching is about people and although we have had hundreds
            of FTFs, we prefer making new geo friends in our travels.

            C & K
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
              Hi there and welcome! To your very thoughtful question, we think most folks like running into others at cache sites. It's always fun to get "busted" by, (or bust) fellow cachers... kind of a "gotcha" feeling, followed by introductions and "oh yeah, seen your logs around" or "did one of your caches earlier", etc. If in doubt just ask if they mind some extra eyes or would they prefer a shot at the FTF alone. Co-FTFs are always a nice way to work it, when/if it's found. Cache happy, Rock&Crystal