Re: [NUTS] Introduction

  • bnbschneider2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
      Welcome to the hunt, OE3 Retiree

      -----Original Message-----
      From: usafwife4ever <usafwife4ever@...>
      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 7:19 pm
      Subject: [NUTS] Introduction

      Hello,

      Just wanted to introduce myself and my family. My name is Trisha, my
      husband is Jason, and we have 2 kids (12 & 9), we are deanfamily97.
      We are new to the Yuba City area and to geocaching. My husband is in
      the Air Force and was transferred to Beale AFB last May.

      I have heard of geocaching before, but didn't really know what it
      was. I heard a coworker talking about it a couple of months ago and
      knew my family would love it.

      We went out for the first time after Christmas and loved it. We are
      looking forward to learning more about it and getting better so we
      can hunt for harder finds. :-)

      What an awesome family activity to get everyone out of the house and
      seeing the great outdoors.

      Any tips for newbies? I think our biggest challenge being a fmaily of
      four is being inconspicious.

    • Roger Seaman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
        deanfamily97,  welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching.  our advice is to search for some of the easier hides  (lower ratings) until you get the hang of things.  also it would be fun for you to attend one of the NUTS events and meet some of the cachers in our area.  the caching community is a swell group of helpful people.  feel free to e-mail me if i can be of any help to you.  happy caching!   retiredprof  (roger and jan)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
          Welcome! We have been caching with our daughter (12) since April of 2003. Kids are actually quite handy to have around when caching, they can look under things and not look conspicuous where an adult may cause a second glance. People expect kids to be inquisitive so if they are looking and/or climbing under, in, on and around things chances are nobody will look twice. Also, caches hidden in public parks are much easier with kids in tow. Somehow adults sneaking around looking in bushes near a children's playground just doesn't look right. This is just about the greatest family activity ever invented!

          If you haven't yet, be sure to get to know UtChaz & Family. He is also stationed at Beale.
          Gail (Escapades)

          usafwife4ever <usafwife4ever@...> wrote:
          Hello,

          Just wanted to introduce myself and my family. My name is Trisha, my
          husband is Jason, and we have 2 kids (12 & 9), we are deanfamily97.
          We are new to the Yuba City area and to geocaching. My husband is in
          the Air Force and was transferred to Beale AFB last May.

          I have heard of geocaching before, but didn't really know what it
          was. I heard a coworker talking about it a couple of months ago and
          knew my family would love it.

          We went out for the first time after Christmas and loved it. We are
          looking forward to learning more about it and getting better so we
          can hunt for harder finds. :-)

          What an awesome family activity to get everyone out of the house and
          seeing the great outdoors.

          Any tips for newbies? I think our biggest challenge being a fmaily of
          four is being inconspicious.

        • Jason Wallace
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
            We have four children and they are great to have. No one ever wonders "what
            are they doing?" Just kids being kids climbing crawling peeking and
            sneaking. And they usually can see better than Mom and me.
          • Warren Harding
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
              Every member of a geocaching group has something valuable they can contribute.  My talent, for example, is using a potbelly to block off view of those watching from a distance.
              47Dad47

              To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
              From: wildfirebuff@...
              Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:30:13 -0800
              Subject: Re: [NUTS] Introduction

              We have four children and they are great to have. No one ever wonders "what
              are they doing?" Just kids being kids climbing crawling peeking and
              sneaking. And they usually can see better than Mom and me.

              Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more
            • Jason Wallace
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                And I thought I had that unique talent all to myself!! LOL
              • bert or pat hall
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Welcome aboard!  It's a way of life around here with a great bunch of fanatics.  (Well...some of them. :-))  If I can ever be of help, let me know.
                  YFBTanky

                  Just wanted to introduce myself and my family. My name is Trisha, my
                  husband is Jason, and we have 2 kids (12 & 9), we are deanfamily97.
                  We are new to the Yuba City area and to geocaching. My husband is in
                  the Air Force and was transferred to Beale AFB last May.

                  I have heard of geocaching before, but didn't really know what it
                  was. I heard a coworker talking about it a couple of months ago and
                  knew my family would love it.

                  We went out for the first time after Christmas and loved it. We are
                  looking forward to learning more about it and getting better so we
                  can hunt for harder finds. :-)

                  What an awesome family activity to get everyone out of the house and
                  seeing the great outdoors.

                  Any tips for newbies? I think our biggest challenge being a fmaily of
                  four is being inconspicious.

                • MATT AND STEPHANIE MOORE
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2008

                    WELCOME~

                       You will certainly love this sport/hobby….. be careful though it is addicting!! *smiles*  We have three children and usually a friend tagging along so no worries about being inconspicuous… the kids do provide the distraction.  And the more eyes the better!  Have fun and if you venture up north to the Chico area email us before you come and we can give you some suggestions if you like.

                    Redvoodoo

                    Matt and Stephanie

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
                        With our without kids, go with the clipboard!!  You will look like either a college class, some old fogey looking at trees, or a church youth group. No matter what, it works!!

                        To: nuts_@yahoogroups. com