Re: [NUTS] Even dead snakes can be deadly

  • Shel Brabrook
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
      Just as I thought, we all are in Yahoo Hell! Now I
      understand. ;)

      --- Warren Harding <warrenh2002@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      I stumbled into a pit of young snakes back in 1973.

      Because of my usual viral and specially healthy body,
      I was able to calmly walk out of the wilderness and
      hitch a ride to a local hospital. My body was swollen
      up in several places. I looked like an old retired
      punching bag. After 3 weeks of pain and severe
      suffering in the hospital, it looked like I was going
      to make it........But alas, I died.

      47Dad47

      ---------------------------------
      From: <redhawk2853@...>
      To: "NUTS" <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [NUTS] Even dead snakes can be deadly
      Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:45:06 -0800

      Herpetology 101:

      Yes, and one step further, the head needs to be buried
      DEEP and with deterrent rocks or something placed over
      them. Critters can dig them up and be injured or
      killed trying to consume the meat (head).

      BTW, some herpetologists believe that rattling is
      being genetically engineered out of rattlesnakes (and
      already has in some species). The reason perhaps, a
      rattling snake draws more attention and is more likely
      to be killed, and prey may react to the noise and run
      away, therefore becoming of no benefit to the
      predator. BTW, most snakes have the instinct (or
      stress reaction) to vibrate their tales, even if they
      are rattleless! Handy if they happen to be in dry
      leaves or something that might mimic a rattler. Yes,
      dogs... and even people have been bitten by headless
      rattlers... I know!! Rock

      From: "geospyder" <geospyder@...>
      To:
      <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>,<GBESGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [NUTS] Even dead snakes can be deadly
      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:28:10 -0700

      PROSSER, Wash. -- Apparently, even a dead snake can
      bite.

      A man said he was bitten by the decapitated head of a
      rattlesnake on his property near Prosser, Wash.

      Danny Anderson and his son saw the 5-foot rattler
      Monday evening while feeding horses.

      They pinned it with a pipe and cut off its head with a
      shovel.

      When Anderson reached down to pick it up, he said, the
      snake head twisted around and bit his index finger.

      In the 10 minutes it took to reach Prosser Memorial
      Hospital, the venom spread through his body and his
      tongue had already started to swell.

      He was treated with shots at the hospital.

      A state Fish and Wildlife Department biologist said
      it's possible the snake had the heat-sensing ability
      to make one last attack -- or it may have been a
      reflex.

      Jim (geospyder)

      A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts
      here.

      Got a little couch potato?

      Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!

      http://sims.yahoo.com/