RE: [NUTS] Even dead snakes can be deadly

  • Shel Brabrook
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
      The old saying that a snake isn't dead until sundown
      is very true. Bury the head to be safe, that also
      keeps the meat bees out of it. I have heard of dogs
      getting bit by the snake after the head was removed.

      --- Warren Harding <warrenh2002@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      That was a reflex. Many people have made the mistake
      of accidently piercing their skin with dead
      rattlesnake fangs and ending up in the hospital. The
      younger the snake the more poisonous the venom.

      47Dad47

      ---------------------------------
      From: "geospyder" <geospyder@...>
      To:
      <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>,<GBESGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [NUTS] Even dead snakes can be deadly
      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:28:10 -0700

      PROSSER, Wash. -- Apparently, even a dead snake can
      bite.

      A man said he was bitten by the decapitated head of a
      rattlesnake on his property near Prosser, Wash.

      Danny Anderson and his son saw the 5-foot rattler
      Monday evening while feeding horses.

      They pinned it with a pipe and cut off its head with a
      shovel.

      When Anderson reached down to pick it up, he said, the
      snake head twisted around and bit his index finger.

      In the 10 minutes it took to reach Prosser Memorial
      Hospital, the venom spread through his body and his
      tongue had already started to swell.

      He was treated with shots at the hospital.

      A state Fish and Wildlife Department biologist said
      it's possible the snake had the heat-sensing ability
      to make one last attack -- or it may have been a
      reflex.

      Jim (geospyder)

      ---------------------------------
      A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts
      here.

      Got a little couch potato?
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
        Herpetology 101:

        Yes, and one step further, the head needs to be buried DEEP and with deterrent rocks or something placed over them. Critters can dig them up and be injured or killed trying to consume the meat (head).

        BTW, some herpetologists believe that rattling is being genetically engineered out of rattlesnakes (and already has in some species). The reason perhaps, a rattling snake draws more attention and is more likely to be killed, and prey may react to the noise and run away, therefore becoming of no benefit to the predator. BTW, most snakes have the instinct (or stress reaction) to vibrate their tales, even if they are rattleless!  Handy if they happen to be in dry leaves or something that might mimic a rattler. Yes, dogs... and even people have been bitten by headless rattlers... I know!! Rock

        ------------ --------- --------- ---

        From: "geospyder" <geospyder@sbcglobal .net>
        To:
        <nuts_@yahoogroups. com>,<GBESGeocachers@ yahoogroups. com>
        Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:28:10 -0700

[...]

        http://search. yahoo.com/ search?fr= oni_on_mail& p=summer+ activities+ for+kids& cs=bz

      • Warren Harding
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007

          I stumbled into a pit of young snakes back in 1973.

          Because of my usual viral and specially healthy body, I was able to calmly walk out of the wilderness and hitch a ride to a local hospital.  My body was swollen up in several places.  I looked like an old retired punching bag.  After 3 weeks of pain and severe suffering in the hospital, it looked like I was going to make it........But alas, I died.

          47Dad47

          From: <redhawk2853@...>
          To: "NUTS" <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:45:06 -0800

          Herpetology 101:

          From: "geospyder" <geospyder@sbcglobal .net>
          To:
          <nuts_@yahoogroups. com>,<GBESGeocachers@ yahoogroups. com>
          Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:28:10 -0700

[...]

          Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!
        • Shel Brabrook

            From: "geospyder" <geospyder@...>
            To:
            <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>,<GBESGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>