RE: [NUTS] PDA

  • geospyder
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007

      I’m currently using a new (old) Palm M500.  I just recently upgraded from a Palm IIIxe.  You can see that I’m just a wee bit behind when it comes to PDA technology ;-)

      Jim (geospyder)

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
        I've got a Palm t/x I bought a few weeks ago and love
        it. Wi-fi & Blutooth included. Works great but I
        haven't dropped it yet either. I have the aluminum
        case too. Pricey but I use it for other stuff too.

        --- geospyder <geospyder@...> wrote:

        > I'm currently using a new (old) Palm M500. I just
        > recently upgraded from a
        > Palm IIIxe. You can see that I'm just a wee bit
        > behind when it comes to PDA
        > technology ;-)
        >

        > Jim (geospyder)
        >
        > _____

      • GARY KEMP
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
          I use an iPAQ 6315 that serves as a phone, gps (with mapping software) and gpxview that gives me data on all caches I have loaded.  Like it a lot, have a plastic cover and frequently drop it, have learned to leave it in the car or put a cord on it around my neck.

          I've been using an old Palm Vx for paperless caching for the past 2 years. I've broken two of them in the field due to being a klutz so I just keep getting the same unit since it does what I need and is CHEAP on eBay.  Lately, I've been thinking of getting a new unit - something more modern and updated. I'm just wondering what you folks may be using that you are happy with. At this point I'm just kind of wondering and not at all sure I want to spend the money on something I might break in the field but, in case I do decide to go for a new PDA I'm looking for insight.

          So......... what do you use, why, and does it totally rock or is it just so-so?

        • Bill Hoke
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
            I use a palm M505. easy to read in the daylight, I use
            an aluminimum case that I i got on ebay for 5 bucks.
            --- GARY KEMP <garykemp@...> wrote:

            > I use an iPAQ 6315 that serves as a phone, gps (with
            > mapping software) and gpxview that gives me data on
            > all caches I have loaded. Like it a lot, have a
            > plastic cover and frequently drop it, have learned
            > to leave it in the car or put a cord on it around my
            > neck.

            background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
              We've always used a windows based system.  We started with a Dell Axim a few years back but it had hard-drive issues due to the fact that it was dropped, scratched and otherwise abused. We bought another newer model, the Axim X50v.  It has wireless and bluetooth but no built in gps.  We've expanded our memory with a 2G SD card where we keep all of our mapoplis maps and downloads.  This time we did by the Rhino cover and of course we have dropped it many times but with the added protection nothing bad has come of it.  I also have a windows-based PDA phone by Cingular that has the same capabilities as the PDA, with the additional benefit of internet access via wireless card or cell-phone service.  We love both devices.
              Jacqi

[...]

            • Jef Spencer
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
                From my inception into Geocaching I have used my iPAQ 2200 series handheld.  A Windows based unit that I loaded GpxSonar onto.  I export my caching files from GSAK and put them on my memory chip and use GpxSonar to look up cache details when I need them.  Deciphered hints too!  Works great for my level of caching.

                thrak <thrak@...> wrote:
                I've been using an old Palm Vx for paperless caching for the past 2 years. I've broken two of them in the field due to being a klutz so I just keep getting the same unit since it does what I need and is CHEAP on eBay.  Lately, I've been thinking of getting a new unit - something more modern and updated. I'm just wondering what you folks may be using that you are happy with. At this point I'm just kind of wondering and not at all sure I want to spend the money on something I might break in the field but, in case I do decide to go for a new PDA I'm looking for insight.

                So......... what do you use, why, and does it totally rock or is it just so-so?

                Jef Spencer, SNSpencer@...

                Profile for SNSpencer
              • Lindda Maeding
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2007
                  We use my tungsten E after Little Devil's Spinner and
                  then the free plucker. We a pretty happy with it. I
                  can also drop my card into my wife's Treo cell phone
                  and it acts like my tungsten. Of course she has the
                  ability to go "online" but doesn't since the time is
                  paid for by her company, not her...

                  Marty
                  Mr. boodlebuggy

                  --- thrak <thrak@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                  I've been using an old Palm Vx for paperless caching
                  for the past 2years. I've broken two of them in the
                  field due to being a klutz so Ijust keep getting the
                  same unit since it does what I need and is CHEAPon
                  eBay. Lately, I've been thinking of getting a new
                  unit - somethingmore modern and updated. I'm just
                  wondering what you folks may be usingthat you are
                  happy with. At this point I'm just kind of wondering
                  andnot at all sure I want to spend the money on
                  something I might break inthe field but, in case I do
                  decide to go for a new PDA I'm looking forinsight.

                  So......... what do you use, why, and does it totally
                  rock or is itjust so-so?

                  Got a little couch potato?