RE: [NUTS] One more question

  • geospyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007

      We use Cingular.  Mainly because our kids ( California and Texas ) and most of our close friends also have Cingular and the cell to cell is free.  So far we’ve been pleased.

      Jim (geospyder)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
        Angel and I have travelled all over the country and I have had extremely
        good service with Verizon. It seems that anywhere where we would reasonably
        expect coverage, it's there. And often in places where we didn't expect
        coverage, it was still there.

        My wife's phone is with T-mobile, and she probably has service in about 50%
        of the places we travel. Consequently, she is often using my phone and her
        kids know to just call my phone when we travel.

        I seem to remember that when I had AT&T, that if my phone couldn't reach an
        AT&T tower that it would roam to another carrier's tower. It seems that
        they stopped that practice for some reason. :shrug:

        When your mom is at one of those locations where she has no service, but
        someone near her does, tell her to ask that person which provider they are
        using.

        Lil Devil

        On Wednesday, July 25, 2007, you wrote:

        > Like most of the world Mom and I have cellphones for emergencies, and
        > also
        > just to keep in touch.
        >
        > Mom is a retired Naturalist and still keeps up on birds and plants
        > wherever she might be along with geocaching and photography. And goes to
        > visit my brother Joe at Kings Beach (Tahoe) when it gets too hot here.
        > (She's been gone almost a month now.) The problem is: We use Sprint and
        > the service area is not satisfactory. She can't reach me from the Grand
        > Canyon, although several people were using their cellphones all around
        > her.
        > Same with several places in New Mexico and the San Francisco Airport. And
        > like I said, people around her were using theirs with seemingly no
        > problems.
        > She also can't call me from Joe's house.
        >
        > As you can surmise, this is not a good situation. I can not be with her
        > all the time, although I'd like too, (Come on... Tahoe, Grand Canyon,
        > Silver
        > City or Vina? Which one would you pick?) so without going into long
        > winded
        > stories, and realizing that there will be "dead" area's no matter what
        > service we go with I'd like to know from people on this list, as you live
        > the closest to us, understand rural + cellphone service, and some of you
        > travel alot, What service are you with and does it fit your needs? And
        > since it is Mom we're talking about price isn't the issue, Safety, and
        > peace of mind, is. Although a geocachers discount wouldn't be out of the
        > question. :-) (Yeah think if there's enough of us...?)
        >
        > Thank you for any help you can give us.
        >
        > Rosemary
        > (yep, Blonde again)
      • thrak

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
            I've had Sprint for 5 years now and have used it for
            work and play all over the country with little or no
            problem. I had AT&T/Cingular before that and they're
            coverage was similar but their billing sucked.
            BLu

          • Warren Harding
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007

              I have Verizon and it usually works goods except in the Lake Tahoe area.  I think the problem is all those Verizon support people that walk with me...hundreds of them.....they block the signal.

              47Dad47

              From: "Blonde & Dangerous" <cachebox@...>
              To: "nuts" <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:30:36 -0700

              Like most of the world Mom and I have cellphones for emergencies, and also
              just to keep in touch.

              Mom is a retired Naturalist and still keeps up on birds and plants
              wherever she might be along with geocaching and photography. And goes to
              visit my brother Joe at Kings Beach (Tahoe) when it gets too hot here.
              (She's been gone almost a month now.) The problem is: We use Sprint and
              the service area is not satisfactory. She can't reach me from the Grand
              Canyon, although several people were using their cellphones all around her.
              Same with several places in New Mexico and the San Francisco Airport. And
              like I said, people around her were using theirs with seemingly no problems.
              She also can't call me from Joe's house.

              As you can surmise, this is not a good situation. I can not be with her
              all the time, although I'd like too, (Come on... Tahoe, Grand Canyon, Silver
              City or Vina? Which one would you pick?) so without going into long winded
              stories, and realizing that there will be "dead" area's no matter what
              service we go with I'd like to know from people on this list, as you live
              the closest to us, understand rural + cellphone service, and some of you
              travel alot, What service are you with and does it fit your needs? And
              since it is Mom we're talking about price isn't the issue, Safety, and
              peace of mind, is. Although a geocachers discount wouldn't be out of the
              question. :-) (Yeah think if there's enough of us...?)

              Thank you for any help you can give us.

              Rosemary
              (yep, Blonde again)

              ><< businesscard.vcf >>

              Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!