One more question

  • Blonde & Dangerous
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
      Like most of the world Mom and I have cellphones for emergencies, and also
      just to keep in touch.

      Mom is a retired Naturalist and still keeps up on birds and plants
      wherever she might be along with geocaching and photography. And goes to
      visit my brother Joe at Kings Beach (Tahoe) when it gets too hot here.
      (She's been gone almost a month now.) The problem is: We use Sprint and
      the service area is not satisfactory. She can't reach me from the Grand
      Canyon, although several people were using their cellphones all around her.
      Same with several places in New Mexico and the San Francisco Airport. And
      like I said, people around her were using theirs with seemingly no problems.
      She also can't call me from Joe's house.

      As you can surmise, this is not a good situation. I can not be with her
      all the time, although I'd like too, (Come on... Tahoe, Grand Canyon, Silver
      City or Vina? Which one would you pick?) so without going into long winded
      stories, and realizing that there will be "dead" area's no matter what
      service we go with I'd like to know from people on this list, as you live
      the closest to us, understand rural + cellphone service, and some of you
      travel alot, What service are you with and does it fit your needs? And
      since it is Mom we're talking about price isn't the issue, Safety, and
      peace of mind, is. Although a geocachers discount wouldn't be out of the
      question. :-) (Yeah think if there's enough of us...?)

      Thank you for any help you can give us.

      Rosemary
      (yep, Blonde again)
    • geospyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007

        We use Cingular.  Mainly because our kids ( California and Texas ) and most of our close friends also have Cingular and the cell to cell is free.  So far we’ve been pleased.

        Jim (geospyder)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
          Angel and I have travelled all over the country and I have had extremely
          good service with Verizon. It seems that anywhere where we would reasonably
          expect coverage, it's there. And often in places where we didn't expect
          coverage, it was still there.

          My wife's phone is with T-mobile, and she probably has service in about 50%
          of the places we travel. Consequently, she is often using my phone and her
          kids know to just call my phone when we travel.

          I seem to remember that when I had AT&T, that if my phone couldn't reach an
          AT&T tower that it would roam to another carrier's tower. It seems that
          they stopped that practice for some reason. :shrug:

          When your mom is at one of those locations where she has no service, but
          someone near her does, tell her to ask that person which provider they are
          using.

          Lil Devil

          On Wednesday, July 25, 2007, you wrote:

          > Like most of the world Mom and I have cellphones for emergencies, and
          > also
          > just to keep in touch.
          >
          > Mom is a retired Naturalist and still keeps up on birds and plants
          > wherever she might be along with geocaching and photography. And goes to
          > visit my brother Joe at Kings Beach (Tahoe) when it gets too hot here.
          > (She's been gone almost a month now.) The problem is: We use Sprint and
          > the service area is not satisfactory. She can't reach me from the Grand
          > Canyon, although several people were using their cellphones all around
          > her.
          > Same with several places in New Mexico and the San Francisco Airport. And
          > like I said, people around her were using theirs with seemingly no
          > problems.
          > She also can't call me from Joe's house.
          >
          > As you can surmise, this is not a good situation. I can not be with her
          > all the time, although I'd like too, (Come on... Tahoe, Grand Canyon,
          > Silver
          > City or Vina? Which one would you pick?) so without going into long
          > winded
          > stories, and realizing that there will be "dead" area's no matter what
          > service we go with I'd like to know from people on this list, as you live
          > the closest to us, understand rural + cellphone service, and some of you
          > travel alot, What service are you with and does it fit your needs? And
          > since it is Mom we're talking about price isn't the issue, Safety, and
          > peace of mind, is. Although a geocachers discount wouldn't be out of the
          > question. :-) (Yeah think if there's enough of us...?)
          >
          > Thank you for any help you can give us.
          >
          > Rosemary
          > (yep, Blonde again)
        • thrak

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
              I've had Sprint for 5 years now and have used it for
              work and play all over the country with little or no
              problem. I had AT&T/Cingular before that and they're
              coverage was similar but their billing sucked.
              BLu

            • Warren Harding
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007

                I have Verizon and it usually works goods except in the Lake Tahoe area.  I think the problem is all those Verizon support people that walk with me...hundreds of them.....they block the signal.

                47Dad47

                From: "Blonde & Dangerous" <cachebox@...>
                To: "nuts" <nuts_@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:30:36 -0700

                Like most of the world Mom and I have cellphones for emergencies, and also
                just to keep in touch.

                Mom is a retired Naturalist and still keeps up on birds and plants
                wherever she might be along with geocaching and photography. And goes to
                visit my brother Joe at Kings Beach (Tahoe) when it gets too hot here.
                (She's been gone almost a month now.) The problem is: We use Sprint and
                the service area is not satisfactory. She can't reach me from the Grand
                Canyon, although several people were using their cellphones all around her.
                Same with several places in New Mexico and the San Francisco Airport. And
                like I said, people around her were using theirs with seemingly no problems.
                She also can't call me from Joe's house.

                As you can surmise, this is not a good situation. I can not be with her
                all the time, although I'd like too, (Come on... Tahoe, Grand Canyon, Silver
                City or Vina? Which one would you pick?) so without going into long winded
                stories, and realizing that there will be "dead" area's no matter what
                service we go with I'd like to know from people on this list, as you live
                the closest to us, understand rural + cellphone service, and some of you
                travel alot, What service are you with and does it fit your needs? And
                since it is Mom we're talking about price isn't the issue, Safety, and
                peace of mind, is. Although a geocachers discount wouldn't be out of the
                question. :-) (Yeah think if there's enough of us...?)

                Thank you for any help you can give us.

                Rosemary
                (yep, Blonde again)

                ><< businesscard.vcf >>

                Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!