GeoWoodstock

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      Hi all!
      Mike, Maggie, and I (along with another large group of NUTS, RCGDS, and BADGES members) just returned from GeoWoodstock V. If you are not aware of what that is, it is a Mega-Event that happens once a year. This year it was held in Raleigh, North Carolina on Saturday, May 26th. There were over 1800 people there from at least 35 states and 7 countries. It was awsome! There was coins being traded, raffles for those who brought travel bugs, silent raffles, sales booths, and more, more, more.

      Jeremy Irish of Groundspeak fame attended this year as well. He had that geocacher look and unless you knew who he was, you might not have known he was "The Jeremy." He said that he hopes to attend next year and bring his family (he has a 1-year-old child that he didn't feel was ready for GeoWoodstock).

      Which brings to mind....as you may have heard....they announced at GeoWoodstock V that our proposal that we put in last year for us (NUTS and RCGDS) to host GeoWoodstock was selected for 2008. It may not seem like it but it is a really big honor to be selected to host this event. Many thought that it may never happen on the West Coast but evidently Little Devil and Angel (RCGDS) and Rock&Crystal (NUTS) put enough pressure on the powers-that-be that they decided to give us a chance to show what Californian's are made of! Those two couples will be co-chairing the event and several others who attended past GeoWoodstock will be the steering committee. Eventually committees will be formed and many, many, many volunteers will be needed. This really is an awsome event!

      Anyway, we first flew into Nashville, Tennessee, drove to Kentucky, through the Smokey Mountains, then on to North Carolina during our 5 day trip. We saw some really beautiful country. I will be posting pictures on the NUTS site soon.

      Rock and Crystal have planned an event for June 12th so stay tuned for more discussion regarding GeoWoodstock VI. There has not been any committee meeting yet so as far as I know details are still just talk and not finalized. Rock and Crystal, our illustrious representatives as co-chairpersons may may more details. We couldn't ask for better representatives!!!

      Gail (Escapades)